Refractory Gauls, or the French politics thread

Started by Duque de Bragança, June 26, 2021, 11:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Anyways, Solmyr - without getting into how deep the end of the pool Duque is in, he's in the same end of the pool he's been in for many years.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on July 11, 2024, 12:53:13 PMAnyways, Solmyr - without getting into how deep the end of the pool Duque is in, he's in the same end of the pool he's been in for many years.

He does come up with fun nicknames for various French politicians though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2024, 12:05:33 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2024, 09:35:44 AMYeah, I am not sure why some here think practicing Muslims are very different from them.

Well, for me, it is usually because of what Muslims say when polled.

According to the Pew Research Center: https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-beliefs-about-sharia/

74% of Egyptian Muslims think that Sharia should be the law of the land. And 86% of those think that there should be the death penalty for apostasy. So 63% of Muslims in this country are in favor of executing anybody who decides, you know Islam just isn't for me man. And granted there is a variation on this. Only 1% of Albanian Muslims think this, but still 1% calling for death for apostates is pretty horrifying. I mean most people are born into this religion, they didn't read over all the religions and just decide they want to become a Muslim. But even if they did, I think they should be free to decide to not be a Muslim anymore.

But, as you say, surely these people aren't that much different than me right? Maybe to them the whole idea of changing ones religion is really foreign to them. Maybe if somebody they knew where to apostatize they would be suddenly have a change of heart once it gets very real somebody they know is about to be executed.

But still we have Egypt, a country with 90 million or so Muslims, where over 50 million people believe something incredibly evil and vile and more extreme than even Scientology or some of the most dangerous American cults practice. And I think the shunning practices of Jehovah's Witnesses are horrendous. How many of those Egyptians who don't go as far as execution simply favor JW-type shunning practices which to my mind are already very dangerous and culty? Or some other kind of persecution like prison time or something?

And the reason for this is: Islam says kill apostates. Explicitly. And there just isn't much you can do inside Islam beyond just ignoring that or rationalizing around it. But there is always going to be a core number who take Islam very seriously who think apostates should be killed. Even Albanians.

Now do I know how many Canadian, French, or American Muslims are in favor of persecuting apostates in someway? No. But I bet it's not zero.

I am sure you will agree that the population of Muslims, is greater that the number of people living in Eqypt who are of the view that there should be death for apostacy. 

I see this kind of fallacy trotted out, imagine if you were judged based on a view that the religious fundamentalists in your country hold.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 11, 2024, 11:22:37 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 11, 2024, 09:23:29 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 11, 2024, 05:28:22 AMÀ ce propos, ça ne va pas fort entre les islamo-gauchos et les cocos (Fabien Roussel chef du PCF) :

Ce cher Fabien Roussel a même osa même parler de viande dans un repas français typique, suscitant l'ire de la gauche végane. :D
Il reçut l'approbation de la droite, en revanche. :lol:

https://www.liberation.fr/idees-et-debats/opinions/la-bonne-viande-et-son-arriere-gout-20220117_G2IQR5JTPFGHBH7J7VVGKAI77E/

La Gauche en France / The Left in France:

:D

Seulement en France ?  :P

QuoteOlivier Tesquet

Un trotskiste c'est un parti, deux trotskistes c'est une tendance, trois trotskistes c'est une scission. Et Twitter en a fait un modèle économique.

Olivier Tesquet est un journaliste de Télérama, une des voix des bobos parisiens.  :P
Lol!  Good one, very good one! :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2024, 01:15:47 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 11, 2024, 12:53:13 PMAnyways, Solmyr - without getting into how deep the end of the pool Duque is in, he's in the same end of the pool he's been in for many years.

Most of those come from French media or even from their own party i.e Flanby nick given by Fabius or Jupiter (from the self-declared jupiterian president himself) by Hermes.  :contract:  :P

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2024, 01:15:47 PM

I've seen "Jupiter" thrown around French medias for Macron.
Text in French

It seems to come from himself.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Yeah - he used it to draw a distinction between him and Hollande. Hollande showed he profoundly misunderstood the country and the office by saying he would be a "normal" President. Macron said he would be more "Jupiterean".
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

Being a normal president is exactly what the country wanted after Sarkozy.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on July 11, 2024, 11:19:16 PMBeing a normal president is exactly what the country wanted after Sarkozy.

What you're saying is, France alternates between megalomaniacs and normal head of States?  You can't do anything like everyone else, can't you?

PJL

All the greatest French leaders have been Jupiters, Louis XIV, the two Napoleons, De Gaulle...

chipwich

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 10, 2024, 12:17:06 PM
Quote from: chipwich on July 10, 2024, 10:51:12 AMThe worst part would have been plagues long before independence.

They had recovered by independence, since genocide was not intended.

They most certainly had not recovered. You do not understand the plague issue at all and your reference to plague blankets shows that.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: chipwich on July 14, 2024, 03:35:49 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 10, 2024, 12:17:06 PM
Quote from: chipwich on July 10, 2024, 10:51:12 AMThe worst part would have been plagues long before independence.

They had recovered by independence, since genocide was not intended.

They most certainly had not recovered. You do not understand the plague issue at all and your reference to plague blankets shows that.

They had, after a long time (tens if not a couple hundred of years in some years) to recover, but then independence brought other problems such as populations partially untouched by colonial powers, e.g the Mapuches in Chile, pacification of Araucania for Argentina.

One only needs to take a look at the populations of Ibero-American countries, which still have a sizable native component, bar for Argentina (the fate of the black population is also a blind sport despite tango) and Chile. The real genocides took place in Anglo-North America (blankets being only the start by the Brits), namely the US. Lots of mixed ancestry in Mexico, much less in the US. With the US conquest and/or acquisition of North Mexico, the process is even more obvious.

Admiral Yi

If Spanish conquistadors landing in Florida and passing on smallpox and cholera to Indians constitutes a genocide then central Asians passing on the Bubonic plague to Genoese traders also constitutes a genocide.  It's silly.

HVC

That just shows that Spaniards were willing to sleep with the remaining natives, not that they recovered. Anglos brought over their women folk so as to not have to intermix.

Estimates of 90% die off from disease. That doesn't include die off from forced labour. There's a reason they started to buy African slaves from African tribes.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.