Refractory Gauls, or the French politics thread

Started by Duque de Bragança, June 26, 2021, 11:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Not for the first time struck by how Macron is covered in the Anglophone media. As while you see hints of the dissenting view, I can't help but feel that Macron would be covered very differently if he was, say, an Eastern European leader making these sort of speeches or policy priorities:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/17/emmanuel-macron-speech-press-conference-education-schooling-changes-screen-time-new-cabinet

Edit: For example "a grand plan against" infertility (not the right word but I can't think of an alternative) to allow "demographic rearmament" :blink: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Also, he has no bio kids. Physician heal they self.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Sheilbh

And in fairness there's definitely stuff that can be done (and should) - childcare, child tax credits etc etc.

Just seems very odd to see "demographic rearmament" from not the far right. I know the grand replacement theory started in France, maybe it's just a lot bigger there than I'd thought?
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on January 17, 2024, 03:03:04 PMCould be a bad translation.
"Pour permettre le réarmement démographique"? :lol:

Edit: But you could well be right it may not carry connotations it does here - but I'm not sure that's the case given the speech is being described (and spun) as a rejoinder to Le Pen.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Zoupa

For what it's worth, I really don't think it was a dog-whistle to the far-right.

Demography has been a focus of french politicians since 1870. I remember seeing the prediction a few years back about forecasts saying France would pass Germany by 2045 and EVERYBODY on the political spectrum was ecstatic.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 17, 2024, 02:56:10 PMAnd in fairness there's definitely stuff that can be done (and should) - childcare, child tax credits etc etc.

Just seems very odd to see "demographic rearmament" from not the far right. I know the grand replacement theory started in France, maybe it's just a lot bigger there than I'd thought?

It's a weird turn of phrase but he didn't mean a white only demographic adjustment.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

My GF brought up Macron yesterday. She's very angry at his comments. If I go by what she says apparently a large section of the country is.

If its a far right dog whistle its not the usual 'down with brown people' folks its to, its the 'get women back in the kitchen!' side. The specific language he used about demographic rearmament and wombs as weapons was rather bad.
Which is interesting considering the nazi in chief is a woman. Big opportunity for her there.

Handmaids tale indeed.

Though apparently the solution is clear and not one he's interested in tackling- the French childcare system is worse than the UK and the tax system isn't supportive; a family with one working parent will pay significantly less tax than a working single mother.

██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on January 17, 2024, 02:53:53 PMAlso, he has no bio kids. Physician heal they self.

Now that's rude for Brizitte.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 17, 2024, 03:04:13 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 17, 2024, 03:03:04 PMCould be a bad translation.
"Pour permettre le réarmement démographique"? :lol:

Edit: But you could well be right it may not carry connotations it does here - but I'm not sure that's the case given the speech is being described (and spun) as a rejoinder to Le Pen.

Plan against infertility has no such connotation. As for réarmement démographique, it makes me think more of the natality deficit vs Germany between World Wars than any dog whistling, or earliern say 1870, as said in the thread.

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 23, 2024, 11:51:38 AM
Quote from: HVC on January 17, 2024, 02:53:53 PMAlso, he has no bio kids. Physician heal they self.

He's a French politician, he could knock up a mistress or two :D

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on January 23, 2024, 11:57:20 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 23, 2024, 11:51:38 AM

He's a French politician, he could knock up a mistress or two :D

:secret:
Not his style.

HVC