Refractory Gauls, or the French politics thread

Started by Duque de Bragança, June 26, 2021, 11:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 09, 2021, 05:21:10 PM
Plastic Bertrand is Belgian.  :P

There's no such thing as Belgians, just ask Jules Destrée, or Talleyrand if you don't believe Destrée

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 11, 2021, 07:28:09 AM

There's no such thing as Belgians, just ask Jules Destrée, or Talleyrand if you don't believe Destrée

Talleyrand is too slimy for my taste, sorry. I am not arguing with his historic importance.

The bravest of the Gauls do not exist anymore? What?  :D

Jules Destrée is, well, Belgian, for the lack of a better word I guess.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 11, 2021, 07:33:21 AM

Talleyrand is too slimy for my taste, sorry. I am not arguing with his historic importance.

The bravest of the Gauls do not exist anymore? What?  :D

Jules Destrée is, well, Belgian, for the lack of a better word I guess.

Walloon. Destrée is famous for writing the "Lettre au roi sur la séparation de la Wallonie et de la Flandre".
There he stated that a unitary belgium basically cannot work because there's no such thing as belgian, only flemish and walloons. (in the mean time we also know that a federal belgium also cannot work because the francophones aren't really trustworthy when it comes to implementing made agreements). In the same letter he also made a number of spurious claims, one of which is that the flemish stole flanders from the francophones. (the letter was countered in the "Réponse à la lettre au Roi sur la séparation de la Wallonie et de la Flandre" by Hippoliet Meert)
All in 1912.

anyways, none of it has anything to do with France, or with plastic betrand

Syt

"For each politician below, please indicate if they would be a better president than Macron:"

:hmm: :frog:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

So 14% haven't even heard of the runner up from the last election? Even Texans are impressed by that level of political detachment.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on September 12, 2021, 12:53:56 AM
So 14% haven't even heard of the runner up from the last election? Even Texans are impressed by that level of political detachment.

No, dark grey is "I don't know", light grey is "I don't know this person."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

This calls for Napoleon IV.

Or. Err. Whatever number they're up to now.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on September 12, 2021, 12:17:31 AM
"For each politician below, please indicate if they would be a better president than Macron:"

Missing Zemmour. However, he has not declared himself to be a candidate. If he does, Marine won't be a certain run-off rival for Jupin, so the Mitterrand trick of using the far-right to divide the right would fail.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on September 12, 2021, 12:17:31 AM

[...]

I'm not sure how relevant that question is - I say that just because I feel like I've seen similar polls in the UK and I think it always has a huge incumbent bias because we can imagine them in that role.

But we are so far out all polling at this point is not too meaningful yet - I suspect Hidalgo and Bertrand will climb (especially now Hidalgo's formally launched her campaign).

Edit: And, as much as I bemoan the British left, I just looked and I think there are already 5 left candidates running in France plus the eventual PS candidates. I'll never understand the left's love of splitting into a dozen different factions and consequently losing :lol: :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Hidalgo?  :lmfao:

Notre Dame des Bobos is a joke, no appeal beyond the périphérique.
Provincial bobos might consider voting for her but she has no real chances. She will divide further more the left-wing vote.

viper37

The Walloons identify as Belgians.  I have yet to meet a Walloon who calls himself Walloon first.  Flemings are another matter.  To "Where are you from?", "Flanders" is the answer 9 times out of 10.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: viper37 on September 16, 2021, 12:28:28 PM

The Walloons identify as Belgians.  I have yet to meet a Walloon who calls himself Walloon first.  Flemings are another matter.  To "Where are you from?", "Flanders" is the answer 9 times out of 10.
Walloons only identify as "Belgian" because of money. So they can identify as belgians as much as they like, no one is fooled.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 16, 2021, 12:28:28 PM

And only because the 10th guy happened to be born abroad.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."