News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows 11

Started by viper37, June 24, 2021, 10:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I am: underwhelmed by the UI and the design restrictions announced, like the inability to move the taskbar from anywhere MS decides it should be.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-makes-its-windows-11-pitch/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Link doesn't work. 

Well, it isn't like there is a choice.  If they force me to upgrade like Windows 10, I will comply.  If I have to pay for it, I imagine I will get it when I do the next computer upgrade. 

viper37

the links have been corrected.  I have lots of problem with my messages here, lately.

Anyway.
Win11 is supposed to be free and Win10 will be supported for 5 more years.  Maybe by next year there'll be some decent softwares by Stardock to repair the start menu sillyness.  Or MS will release a Windows 11.1 that brings back the classic menu.  wouldn't be a first.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Darth Wagtaros

By 2025 developers will have finally made the move from Windows 7 only to Windows 8.

This looks underwhelming.  But I would like to see the slowdown in the pace of development.  The last few years has been little more than constant change to make it look like innovation instead of thought out and tested solutions.
PDH!

Grey Fox

I wonder how many deprecated functions are removed without a replacement in place.

When 10 came out, they took out the deprecated function to install network devices without anything to take it's place.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 25, 2021, 04:24:50 PM
I wonder how many deprecated functions are removed without a replacement in place.

When 10 came out, they took out the deprecated function to install network devices without anything to take it's place.
MS will tell us what we want and what we need, GF.  Obviously, we didn't want or need the option to install network devices.
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 25, 2021, 04:24:50 PM

here's a list, so far:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-11-microsoft-deletes-these-windows-10-features-and-apps/

Darth Wagtaros

The start menu looks fucking obnoxious.  I manage a hugeass VDI environment ad the last fucking thing I need is changing the basics.  A lot of people will blame us for it. 

PDH!

Monoriu

In Microsoft we trust. 

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on June 27, 2021, 08:26:09 AM
In Microsoft we trust. 

In Apple they trust. Considering I have an iMac a couple feet to my left, the dock centered Start Menu doesn't bother me greatly.

Still waiting for it to hit the Insider beta channel, but it sounds like a pretty incremental update that's mostly meant to be eye candy and a little bit of easing up on update stress. If it weren't for the touch device updates, I'd say it sounds like they didn't really roll a new OS so much as give a feature update a new number to get around update fatigue.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

I rarely use the Start menu and cannot imagine why anyone would be bothered by it. 

garbon

I saw my computer is now saying that I can get the free upgrade. My computer is fairly new (purchased during the pandemic) so I'm thinking it'll be okay and not one of those that they pushed update to and then it broke it.

But at same time, is there any reason to rush to adopt Windows 11 at this time?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

My processor isn't compatible.
Apparently it's a problem with a lot of Intel processors old and new.
So Meh. I've read it has a few bugs to iron out anyway.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 29, 2021, 03:03:03 AM
No reason to rush.  For the moment, it's Windows 10 + a few security features that could be enabled/tweaked in Win10.

And it has compatibility issues with AMD Ryzen processors, namely, your computer will be slower than before, even if the upgrade assistant says it's ok.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on October 29, 2021, 10:46:24 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 29, 2021, 03:03:03 AM
No reason to rush.  For the moment, it's Windows 10 + a few security features that could be enabled/tweaked in Win10.

And it has compatibility issues with AMD Ryzen processors, namely, your computer will be slower than before, even if the upgrade assistant says it's ok.

:thumbsup:

And thanks, Tyr.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.