News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Starfield from Bethesda - coming 11/11/22

Started by Syt, June 13, 2021, 12:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on September 04, 2023, 04:00:36 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 04, 2023, 03:02:46 PMHow's performance for you, Tamas? Hearing some mixed stuff in that regard on PC.

Graphics-wise its acceptable.

I have a 10600K CPU with Geforce 1660 Super (or something) and 24GB RAM, with the game installed on my m.2 SSD. Using 1080p resolution (I think, that's my screen's resolution and the game I think uses the screen's resolution, it doesn't really tell you), I switched down from Ultra to High as it was sometimes slowing down. BUT I did deactivate dynamic resolution changes to avoid it dumbing down graphics. It is working perfectly fine now, except there was one quite big space battle in some sort of a nebula which slowed down the frame rate.

Overall I am content with the performance but my rig can definitely run prettier things without issues, so I am hoping for some optimisation down the line.

In terms of loading times and such, -thanks to the SSD I suspect- it's pretty great. New zones load very fast.

:thumbsup:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Here it is one to show where I am right now. :) Not very dramatic since its a bit of an extreme moon with the fog I believe trying to show the snowstorm. The faint glow in the back is the red gas giant this moon orbits.

What I am hiding is a facility to the west down in the valley. I kinda' wish there were fewer POIs generated when you land at a random spot. I mean, as I mentioned they tried to explain them lore-wise, and the "world" is called Settled Space, but it just feels a bit too much. Luckily, of course you are free to ignore them and pretend they are not there. I guess its nice that whenever I want to break up exploring with some shooting there are spots readily available to do that at.

Tamas

I've decided to fully survey the system I am in see if it gives any substantial bonus/rewards (there's a main story NPC to whom you can sell survey data to). Perhaps I should have chosen a smaller system. :P

This was taken on an ice moon of a gas giant:

Tamas

BEHOLD, the Frontier D, now with B class engines and weapons plus an excellent shield generator I unlocked via a mission:

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Lol yeah not a very stylish design, but it's mine.  :P

I am closing in on the finale of the main story line so reserving a complete redesign for new game plus or my next character.

By the way I am far enough in the story to see how new game plus is going to be weaved into it, and it's quite neat, but won't spoil it.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on September 06, 2023, 03:16:44 PMBEHOLD, the Frontier D, now with B class engines and weapons plus an excellent shield generator I unlocked via a mission:

No scribes allowed!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

So, I ran out of cargo space and instead of selling resources I may very well never use, I constructed a bigger ship. I flew to Titan to the HQ of the company making the components I have been using to get access to a larger selection of modules.

Might not keep it as it is considerably less maneuverable than the previous version. Also it was a major pain to have semi-acceptable doorways generated for this new single-deck approach. Still, BEHOLD the Frontier E, the Frog:

Tamas

It's a minor point but I was happy to see that when I travelled near what I think was the edge of the gameworld (systems with 50-60 level markings, went there just to see how they are), far from the well-populated systems, the random generated landing zones had FAR fewer civilised POIs put down. There were a couple of planets where I couldn't find any despite landing in different biomes, and the others had very scattered ones. Neat.

Tamas

New character, going for a bounty hunter-ish play with him. New ship designed from scratch basically:

Ship customisation aside, the game is great IMHO. Huge amount of custom locations surrounded by insane amount of decent generated content. It'd be better if it wasn't so obviously an update of FO4/Skyrim (like if we didn't have to walk everywhere on ground) but if you managed to stomach the glitches and annoyances of Skyrim and liked it, you should definitely give this one a try.

grumbler

I'm about 4 hours in and my biggest complaint so far is that the game leans way too heavily on gunfights to generate gameplay.  Combat is not a plus feature of this title and I'd really prefer much less combat and more story.

It's a good game but I'm not yet convinced that it's great.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on September 08, 2023, 03:10:08 PMI'm about 4 hours in and my biggest complaint so far is that the game leans way too heavily on gunfights to generate gameplay.  Combat is not a plus feature of this title and I'd really prefer much less combat and more story.

It's a good game but I'm not yet convinced that it's great.

Yeah no arguments there although I guess not that different from previous games, just more apparent in this one due to the setting (then again as I mentioned they tried to establish lore reasons for the violence and abundant rogue elements etc).

Meanwhile, some guy at Reddit managed to stumble upon a solar eclipse:

grumbler

For those interested, the latest version of Mod Organizer supports Starfield, and the SFSE has been released.

Bayraktar!

Tamas

grumbler

I'm indifferent to a Star Wars mod, but think that this would be a great system for a Firefly mod.

Bayraktar!