News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 3

Started by Syt, May 21, 2021, 01:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Ok, so initially, I could not form a legitimate government, because any combination of more than one party resulted in low legitimacy.

Now, however, I have everyone in government (except marginalized Trade Unions, who have 2.0% clout), and this is the result:

Government is monarchy which gives 10% additional ideology penalty, but you get 20 legitimacy from including the head of government's IG. Census vote gives another 10% penalty, but it also gives a multiplier of 50 and 70 respectively for the level of clout and number of votes in government. So having 97.9% of clout and 99.9% of votes gives almost the full amount which, together with HoG bonus cancels out the ideology penalty.

A few caveats:
Historically, you might see broad "unity" governments at various points in time, though those usually happen in times of crisis. Also, until more extreme laws become available, I guess ideological differences might still be small enough to not be as much of a hindrance as when you have communists and fascists later in the game, and other forms of government/power later give higher (or lower) penalties to those differences.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Oh, and for good measure there's a bug that increases radicals, not loyalists at high legitimacy. :bleeding: :lol:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/victoria-iii-radicalism-from-legitimacy-86.1560952/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Tamas

This is really ridiculous, like, I know there must be a crapton of stuff to test after the big changes they introduced, but the political game (THE major focus of the patch) sounds entirely broken.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on December 05, 2022, 03:14:30 PMOk, so initially, I could not form a legitimate government, because any combination of more than one party resulted in low legitimacy.

Now, however, I have everyone in government (except marginalized Trade Unions, who have 2.0% clout), and this is the result:

Government is monarchy which gives 10% additional ideology penalty, but you get 20 legitimacy from including the head of government's IG. Census vote gives another 10% penalty, but it also gives a multiplier of 50 and 70 respectively for the level of clout and number of votes in government. So having 97.9% of clout and 99.9% of votes gives almost the full amount which, together with HoG bonus cancels out the ideology penalty.

A few caveats:
Historically, you might see broad "unity" governments at various points in time, though those usually happen in times of crisis. Also, until more extreme laws become available, I guess ideological differences might still be small enough to not be as much of a hindrance as when you have communists and fascists later in the game, and other forms of government/power later give higher (or lower) penalties to those differences.

Found the lead designer saying this about the "mega coalitions" on Reddit:

QuoteAlright, let's unpack this a little. But before I do so, an assurance that this is an unintended side effect of the Legitimacy revisions that is being worked on internally already.

Your decisions in forming a government is based on two main factors:

How high a Legitimacy level you can get with that government

How easy and quick it is to pass the laws you want with that government

With the current system, by tossing every Interest Group in government you're maxing out #1 while really harming #2.

With the former system, you'd only be about to put 2-3 groups in government at one time if you cared about passing laws, because otherwise the Legitimacy penalty would be so high you'd never be able to, in addition to outcomes at enactment checkpoints often being less than favorable. But if you didn't care about passing laws, you could put anyone you wanted in there, it didn't really matter.

The way the current system works, if you put 2 groups in power that oppose each other, your Legitimacy will be very poor because even though they may be the two strongest groups, they're also extremely ideologically incoherent together. But once incoherence is maxed out by these two incompatible groups, if you only care about #1 you may as well toss in the rest as well, since they won't make the difference of opinions worse (assuming you don't care about #2).

So the system does prevent two incompatible groups from working well together, but it doesn't increase those penalties if more moderate groups are also made part of a ruling coalition. We recognize this is not great and we're actively working on solutions, but remember there are trade-offs beyond Legitimacy.

QuoteYeah, I don't disagree with you that in the new system, Legitimacy is much more important (that was the point, after all) and maxing it will usually be more important than efficient law enactment. We're testing an alternate way of computing incoherence now that we think works better and should discourage these mega-coalitions.

Syt

I guess I get what they were going for (you have everyone represented = legitimate government), but opposing ideologies in government together should be more of an issue than "laws take longer" (unless they up the enactment time to multiple years). Opposing ideologies in government could also give additional radicalism for those pops ("We have to work with THEM????") - the effect should be none/low at small divergence, but grow exponentially the higher it is.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Didn't know this was a bug:

QuoteStart a construction in a nation with construction sectors. Leave construction paused Monday - Saturday. On Sunday night unpause construction and pause it again Monday morning. This will count as a full week of construction but won't cost you anywhere near as much as it should if you were letting the construction run all week.

It's not fixed in 1.1, apparently, and some call the game "unplayable" for it ... I don't know - maybe ... don't use the exploit if it bothers you? :unsure:
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Yeah cause there's no cheating in the construction sector IRL. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

So I'm having an issue with legitimacy now. The communist party won.
My legitimacy is very low. Too low to change laws.
But the Rural Folk, who along with the intelligentisa, make up the Communist Party, are angry so I can't put theminto the government. (they are both in opposition)
So I'm caught in a trap and not sure what to do.
I'm a bit annoyed that the rural folk are fillibusting the government. It's annoying because all game long I've been supporting the intelligentsia, but these rural folk are holding them back.
What do I do?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Tamas

I am thinking I'll just mod all legitimacy effects on loyalty/radicalism to zero for the time being, until they fix the bug, I assume that should solve whatever is going on there. Apparently when you reorganise the government, the erroneous  effect of high legitimacy increasing radicalism may or may not trigger, meaning if you see it happening you can try removing an IG and adding it back to make it go away... but I am pretty sure the AI isn't aware of that. :P

Tamas

I wonder if something changed or I am just unlucky in my benchmark Austria game. I have been wanting to do my standard political play of going for one of the couple 10-20% chance law enactments which would start reducing aristocratic clout but they are always run into the ground as in reaching 0% chance of success. Its 1844 and I haven't been able to pass either of those laws.

Syt

Have you checked what the odds for pass/stall etc. are on each roll, by mousing over the % chance?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on December 06, 2022, 04:21:54 PMHave you checked what the odds for pass/stall etc. are on each roll, by mousing over the % chance?

Yeah, thanks, its just that all I had to do previously with such low pass chances was to wait until the inevitable events giving +15/20% chances - I almost never felt like I should give up. Thinking about it, perhaps the chance of these positive events have been toned down.

Syt

Oooh ...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2898482972

QuotePop Needs are no longer hidden below two layers of clicking!

Mod changes:

- Five top consumption goods show in the detail panel (note: this is just for the first group when the pop is expanded)
- Five top consumption good also visible in the expanded detailed pop item if needed (see other images)
- Pop detailed list have been resized

Planned Update: Pop Needs in overview tab.

It's crazy how many QoL UI mods are out there at this point, and I hope Paradox takes note of it. I think their UIs have gotten a lot better in general over the years (well, decades at this point), but V3 feels like a huge step back in making data available for a game that heavily relies on that data for players to make informed decisions.

I know from my own projects that QoL often takes the backseat to core features, but I feel for a game with the attempted complexity of V3 QoL is a core feature.
—Stephen Jay Gould