News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 3

Started by Syt, May 21, 2021, 01:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

IIRC the original Vicky 1 pre-expansion only ran till 1920.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

It seems promising that there are many local markets now, rather than the highly unrealistic one world market.  Modeling the world economy with the simplification of one global market is like modeling car tires with with a simplifying assumption of no friction.

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on May 24, 2021, 12:30:15 PM
It seems promising that there are many local markets now, rather than the highly unrealistic one world market.  Modeling the world economy with the simplification of one global market is like modeling car tires with with a simplifying assumption of no friction.

Doesn't Vic2 basically have 8 markets, one per sphere of influence? Or do I misremember. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on May 24, 2021, 12:31:08 PM

Doesn't Vic2 basically have 8 markets, one per sphere of influence? Or do I misremember. :unsure:
There was some prioritization around your sphere (sphere owner had priority on selling stuff if there was a glut of it, and priority on buying it if there was shortage), but there was essentially one market with one set of prices.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on May 24, 2021, 12:47:51 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 24, 2021, 12:31:08 PM

There was some prioritization around your sphere (sphere owner had priority on selling stuff if there was a glut of it, and priority on buying it if there was shortage), but there was essentially one market with one set of prices.

Yeah when I was reading the PDF I was like "oh so EU4's market system, that's better" but no, because apparently there will be market-specific prices, not global ones.

It sounds very good on paper. I wonder if this method of linking local market prices to factors like infrastructure could also give proper value to blockades - adding a % of blockaded ports variable shouldn't be a big deal.

DGuller

Local market prices should be determined by supply and demand.  The effect of infrastructure is to expand the pool from which you determine the total supply and total demand.  You don't care what the supply is in the area that you can't reach, either due to bad transportation efficiency or due to blockade.

Zanza

On political parties versus interest groups:

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on May 24, 2021, 02:00:58 PM
Local market prices should be determined by supply and demand.  The effect of infrastructure is to expand the pool from which you determine the total supply and total demand.  You don't care what the supply is in the area that you can't reach, either due to bad transportation efficiency or due to blockade.
Yes, factor in development/technology level too wonder if this could be a good way to go to properly represent industrial technology being so much more expensive for Asian nations than European.
I guess the bother is how you represent colonies being similarly remote and undeveloped.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Quote from: Zanza on May 24, 2021, 02:18:02 PM
On political parties versus interest groups:

People will finally recognize the real differences between the Judean People's Front and the People's Front of Judea.  :cool:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on May 23, 2021, 01:40:52 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 22, 2021, 04:58:02 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 22, 2021, 11:27:55 AM
some things remind me of that AGEOD game that was barely playable

I actually quite enjoyed that game once I understood the mechanics.  Too bad it won't work on 64-bit computers.

The Steam version (Pride of Nations, I believe Pardox's was Vainglory of Nations?), appears to run on my Windows 10 64-bit system. Turns still take about 1 minute to process, though (on an i9-10900). :P

Mine crashes on launch every time, and when I asked for tech help i was told there was no Windows 10 support.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 24, 2021, 09:10:15 AM

By the same token it would be an awful idea to put the time period back into the Nappy era.
Why?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 24, 2021, 09:32:46 AM
I feel like the most important part of this new game will be having like five dozens of different variations of each national flag, dependent on the type of government in power.

Good memories from Vicky 2 :wub:
I heard it's going to have a dynamic flag engine that can make up a flag for any situation, like the flagmashup bot on twitter. So, if you want to see what a Zulu puppet UK flag looks like, you'll get your wish.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

:rolleyes: Zulu puppeting the UK sounds like the kind of unrealistic player fantasy that should not be catered to.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

What about OHgamer's aren't I great thread:
QuoteThose of you who are long-time veterans of Paradox Games will recognize me. No, I hadn't completely vanished into the ether, though life over the past twelve years since the release of Victoria II took me in directions that greatly limited my ability to be involved with the Victoria community and Paradox in general.

Saw the news that Paradox is going to revisit Victoria for a new edition, and my heart filled with joy. I was heavily involved in the development of Victoria II as a beta tester and data contributor during its development in 2008 and 2009 (as well as creating, along with XieChengnuo, the map layout that would be used in not only Victoria, but be the base for the maps of EU3 and HoI3/4), and while the game was not, as Mary Poppins would have preferred, "Practically Perfect in Every Way," there was a lot of great things about the game and how it built upon the foundations established by the original Victoria I release combined with much of the modding work that the Victoria Improvement Project (VIP) mod had done with the first iteration of the game. This is clear from the devotion shown by fans of the game to this day the Victoria franchise and Victoria II.

Although my spare time these days tends to be rather limited, I will definitely be following developments of this new version closely. Godspeed to the development team for Victoria 3

OHGamer
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on May 25, 2021, 02:14:44 AM
What about OHgamer's aren't I great thread:
QuoteThose of you who are long-time veterans of Paradox Games will recognize me. No, I hadn't completely vanished into the ether, though life over the past twelve years since the release of Victoria II took me in directions that greatly limited my ability to be involved with the Victoria community and Paradox in general.

Saw the news that Paradox is going to revisit Victoria for a new edition, and my heart filled with joy. I was heavily involved in the development of Victoria II as a beta tester and data contributor during its development in 2008 and 2009 (as well as creating, along with XieChengnuo, the map layout that would be used in not only Victoria, but be the base for the maps of EU3 and HoI3/4), and while the game was not, as Mary Poppins would have preferred, "Practically Perfect in Every Way," there was a lot of great things about the game and how it built upon the foundations established by the original Victoria I release combined with much of the modding work that the Victoria Improvement Project (VIP) mod had done with the first iteration of the game. This is clear from the devotion shown by fans of the game to this day the Victoria franchise and Victoria II.

Although my spare time these days tends to be rather limited, I will definitely be following developments of this new version closely. Godspeed to the development team for Victoria 3

OHGamer

:lol: wtf