And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 3

Started by Syt, May 21, 2021, 01:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Quote from: The Brain on May 22, 2021, 05:18:13 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 22, 2021, 05:03:37 AM
Yeah, Tim, but they're building from scratch from what I understand.

To quote Martin Anward from last year:

QuoteI've seen this rumor posted before but as far as I know (and have heard from others at the company who worked on V2) it's not true - it's more that the economy code has been refactored and optimized to the point of being nearly unreadable. There's a fairly solid understanding of how it should operate in theory, but it's an extremely complicated piece of code (written at a time when paradox played pretty fast and loose with code standards) that ends up behaving in weird and unexpected ways. For example, I'm reasonably sure that artisans making tanks out of fruit wasn't in the original design.

Maybe, maybe not. Many countries in that era used sharpened mangoes as weapons.

Only the ones Captain Blackadder was fighting.

Agelastus

Quote from: Solmyr on May 22, 2021, 03:09:09 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 22, 2021, 05:18:13 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 22, 2021, 05:03:37 AM
Yeah, Tim, but they're building from scratch from what I understand.

To quote Martin Anward from last year:

QuoteI've seen this rumor posted before but as far as I know (and have heard from others at the company who worked on V2) it's not true - it's more that the economy code has been refactored and optimized to the point of being nearly unreadable. There's a fairly solid understanding of how it should operate in theory, but it's an extremely complicated piece of code (written at a time when paradox played pretty fast and loose with code standards) that ends up behaving in weird and unexpected ways. For example, I'm reasonably sure that artisans making tanks out of fruit wasn't in the original design.

Maybe, maybe not. Many countries in that era used sharpened mangoes as weapons.

Only the ones Captain Blackadder was fighting.

Well, according to Blackadder, Douglas Haig was there as well...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

grumbler

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 22, 2021, 11:27:55 AM
some things remind me of that AGEOD game that was barely playable

I actually quite enjoyed that game once I understood the mechanics.  Too bad it won't work on 64-bit computers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on May 22, 2021, 04:58:02 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 22, 2021, 11:27:55 AM
some things remind me of that AGEOD game that was barely playable

I actually quite enjoyed that game once I understood the mechanics.  Too bad it won't work on 64-bit computers.

The Steam version (Pride of Nations, I believe Pardox's was Vainglory of Nations?), appears to run on my Windows 10 64-bit system. Turns still take about 1 minute to process, though (on an i9-10900). :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Yeah I have been meaning to get back to ProN and see how my 10600 runs it. :)

Oddly enough, after all the talk here I fired up Victoria 2. I tried to, several months ago, modded and unmodded but it would crash on launch. Now it worked, not sure what happened. Anyhow, I found myself not ready yet to re-learn the UI and mechanics.

the Reddit rumour-dump sounds amazing obviously, but if they will really create a billion pops the game won't ever get even close to being balanced or making sense.

Overall, I am hopeful, in part because after the recent fiascos I think disappointing with the meme-game could become a devastating blow to their community. So, hopefully they choose to err on the side of hardcore simulation not gamey BS.

But let's not forget Victoria 2 we liked despite ridiculous flaws. The world market never made much sense, IIRC fleets were next to useless, India used to become British culture in a matter of a decade, and regardless of which country you played the easiest road to stability and prosperity was to go 20th Scandinavia-style democratic welfare state in the most direct and quickest way possible.

Syt

I believe the 3.0.4 beta patches actually help with stability a bit, not least because they allow you to properly alt-tab without crashing the game. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2021, 04:09:35 AM
and regardless of which country you played the easiest road to stability and prosperity was to go 20th Scandinavia-style democratic welfare state in the most direct and quickest way possible.

Deal with it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

When you look at all kind of indicators regarding human life, the argument that Scandinavian welfare states are the pinnacle of human civilization can be legitimately made. So the game is just realistic.  :P

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2021, 04:09:35 AM
the Reddit rumour-dump sounds amazing obviously, but if they will really create a billion pops the game won't ever get even close to being balanced or making sense.

I think you're misreading the post. They don't want "one billion pops" from what I've seen, but start with "one billion people".
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on May 23, 2021, 04:35:15 AM
When you look at all kind of indicators regarding human life, the argument that Scandinavian welfare states are the pinnacle of human civilization can be legitimately made. So the game is just realistic.  :P

Possibly. What I mean is, for example, from the (cruel) point of view of trying to keep together the Russian empire in the late 19th century, avoiding democratisation was a valid course of action (for a while). But in the game, it was just suboptimal play, when you could just switch to a welfare state without causing any internal instability.

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2021, 03:50:00 PM
Quote from: Zanza on May 23, 2021, 04:35:15 AM

Possibly. What I mean is, for example, from the (cruel) point of view of trying to keep together the Russian empire in the late 19th century, avoiding democratisation was a valid course of action (for a while). But in the game, it was just suboptimal play, when you could just switch to a welfare state without causing any internal instability.
I agree. There was one optimal way to play regardless of context. That is something I hope they get right this time.

Solmyr

Switching to a welfare state should probably at least tank your prestige (assuming it's a sort of "imperialness" indicator) and, in larger empires, cause all sorts of regional nationalist separatist movements. I.e. it should be impossible to institute a modern welfare state and still keep a multinational empire.

Sheilbh

I think that moving to an interest group approach to politics probably makes sense - though issues with that as JR said.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

The slides from the Vickynomics presentation can be downloaded here in PDF form: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/vickynomics-panel.1475691/
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on May 24, 2021, 05:10:42 AM
The slides from the Vickynomics presentation can be downloaded here in PDF form: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/vickynomics-panel.1475691/

Thanks Syt, it's actually looking pretty promising. I so like this period, it will be tough to keep myself away from pointless hype for the next year or two before release.

Do they still recruit beta testers for their projects? I might apply when it gets there, for old time's sake.  :D