News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 3

Started by Syt, May 21, 2021, 01:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Bring back Napoleon III II
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Solmyr

Quote from: The Brain on May 30, 2023, 01:51:15 PMSurely in EUIV you can get a Dmitry even if you already have a Dmitry?

It's a False Dmitry though.

The Brain

Quote from: Solmyr on May 31, 2023, 02:27:15 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 30, 2023, 01:51:15 PMSurely in EUIV you can get a Dmitry even if you already have a Dmitry?

It's a False Dmitry though.

Says who?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

New patch is out. Change log:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-90-update-1-3-5-changelog.1591304/

Main items are the red-do of the Divided Monarchy entry for France, making it more interesting, and giving the option to demobilize Generals who have been mobilized for at least 6 months (there will be demob expenses decaying over 4 months, though). There's a bunch of more changes (e.g. for unification plays, France's "Natrural Borders journal entry), fixes, balance changes etc.

Unfortunately, there's a new annoying issue - if a subject (vassal, tributary, puppet, dominion - not sure about protectorates) has a revolution in which the overlord intervenes and becomes the war leader, the overlord will annex the revolutionary states. :lol: :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/victoria-3-1-3-5-known-issues.1591806/

QuoteOur patch 1.3.5 is released today, June 26th. While it should work pretty well, there are some issues you might encounter during the gameplay.

The Known Issue list has been updated for the release of version 1.3.5. Please find the list below:
  • Divided Monarchies soft locks if there is a tie. If two dynasties reach the goal on the same tick the JE fails to move on to the next phase.
  • A large amount of available construction points allows for queuing of agricultural buildings over the Arable Land limit.
  • A country about to get fully annexed still get Claims (and notifies relevant countries of this) on its former states right before it gets destroyed
  • The game displays NULL_OBJ front in right click interaction list for generals that are preparing a naval invasion.
  • A country that no longer exists starting Diplomatic Play causing NULL_OBJ War, it happens rarely but it is on our known issues under work.
  • JE "Research Technology" remains if there is an entry in the queue in the tutorial.
  • Certain historical characters are not always transferred to the Paris Commune when it breaks away from France.
  • AI is not changing laws through petitions that have less than a 50% chance to enact.
  • Currently, one of the bizarre technical issues we have is our game crashing when attempting to open Steam overlay (Shift + Tab) on Linux. It is under investigation and we are trying to determine the cause. Workaround would be not enabling the Steam overlay for Linux OS at the moment.
  • Tooltips for "Sway to Bonapartism/Orleanism/Legitimism" contains unlocalized strings in the Korean language.
  • Tooltips (again) which usually display a button shortcut combination are incorporating unusual signs in the Turkish language.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

grumbler

Waiting for Starfield, I played about 60 years of the current Vic3 incarnation.  Played as Britain because I wanted to see how the more significant diplomatic plays went down.  Overall, I thought that it played well.  Economics still badly needs the Vic2 world market, because under the current system every nation strives for autarky and competitive advantage doesn't really exist.  Military system is mostly unchanged, set at "silly, but workable."

I'd say it's now probably 90% of the game I was hoping for when it first came out.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Solmyr

They are adding local markets next patch, so that nations will be better off specializing in what they can produce well and purchasing the rest.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on September 06, 2023, 05:12:55 PMEconomics still badly needs the Vic2 world market, because under the current system every nation strives for autarky and competitive advantage doesn't really exist.  M

Problem is that the Vic2 world market erred even worse in the opposite direction, with frictionless trade of goods magically teleporting around the world.

It is a problem though because under the current build, trade is really only useful as a stopgap to cover a temporary shortage until the required factories are built.  it always seems like you can build just about everything reasonably efficiently, which shouldn't be.

It's tough to model as economists and historians still argue about how competitive advantage comes about.  I recall seeing something in a dev diary about connecting production efficiency to resource proximity, which could work as a decent approximation, although it does not really capture the historical reality.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

As Solmyr said, local pricing will come into play "soon", making it generally cheaper to buy local, incentivizing creating industry clusters (e.g. steel mills in areas with coal/iron). Remains to be seen if implementing that will help with the current issues. As a side effect it might help against the skyrocketing standards of living in colonies where the locals can currently buy things frictionless and easily have their needs met. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Minsky Moment

Local markets/resource proximity can explain why (e.g.) successful steel industries arose in western Pennsylvania or the Ruhr; it does not explain why Japan became a respectable steel producer, nor does it explain why India became an importer of cotton textiles in the 19th century after being the world leader in the prior century.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

V3's new beta patch is out - it says it should include all major changes for the November patch, but there's some feedback that there's some issues (e.g. mass immigration targets seem to work in reverse with people leaving from the target to the origin of the migration - guess someone messed up + and - :D ), and I had a look at the new military system and ... I will need some time to get through that. I checked out their discord, and OPB seemed quite frustrated with the new system. :D

You assign units to commanders. So you say, "give this guy 10 more troops" and then you decide where to build the barracks on the map, and apparently it makes it quite difficult to follow which commander is drawing troops from where leading to issues of trying to figure out whether your troops can be reinforced or not if they suffer losses (is there working population in the state of that specific barrack that suffered the losses) - which again potentially leads to microing e.g. production methods (freeing up workers through automation so they can move to barracks).

That is, if I understood this correctly. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Yeah I think there's lot to like here but just got totally bugged out of a war where I was a minor partner. I seem permanently locked out of all of my own armies after being unexplainedly white peaced out of the war. So yeah I'll be returning after either a beta hotfix or the official release. :P

Syt

This screenshot from the beta on Reddit made me chuckle.

Quotefor aid in putting down a minor revolt in Australia (that has literally no army), Britain is willing to give me the Raj
—Stephen Jay Gould