News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 3

Started by Syt, May 21, 2021, 01:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

If we want to prevent catastrophic economic and societal change we will have to radically change our climate system.

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

I'm not even sure 19th century capitalists cared too much about worker radicalization, either. :D They should probably just pay minimal wage until the government passes some laws increasing it.

Tamas

Promising change, also promising dev diary yesterday.

They said they'd go through the full 1.1 changelog in next week's so I guess we are two weeks from the patch being released, which is nice.

I'll probably wait until that now before a new game.

Last time I played I was frustrated enough with never seeing even NGF formed that I went to the Unite Germany AI strategy and edited out everything from it except wanting to protect the countries "voting" for you and antagonising the other unifier candidate. Launched an observer game and stepped away, coming back in 1855 there was an NGF, which is the second time I have seen it. :) I figure even if this neutered strategy never gets Germany formed, at least Prussia won't destroy itself going berserk on German minors instead of sitting passively and having those same minors join them peacefully. 

Syt

Started a game as USA. Using Anbeld's AI mod, the Age mod (that makes characters less likely to live to 100 years), Know When to Fold'em (a mod that helps AI with when to peace out, preventing "stuck" wars), Better IG Attraction (making POP decisions on which IG to support a bit more complex).

Enacted Dedicated Police (to curb Southern Planter Power), Censorship & Migration Controls (to buff Planter approval), then Banned Slavery in 1846. :hmm:
 :blush:
Declared war on Mexico and grabbed the historical states from them. Had to go back and declare a second war, because I forgot to make Utah a wargoal.  :blush:

That would have given me Mexican Cession, but I forced them to release the country of Rio Grande ... which formed including my part of Texas. :mad: So now I will have to go and conquer Rio Grande. :rolleyes:

Haiti, Honduras and Gran Colombia are my protectorates, and I'm working on adding Venezuela, and a couple more Central American states.

Law-wise, I've gone back to Right to Assembly, added Propertied Women and Cultural Exclusion (Yay, 1850s desegregation!).

My main complaint is that so far it's been pretty easy and smooth sailing. I was flush with cash, and was surprised when I checked the budget screen for the first time to see I'm at low taxes and no consumption taxes. Construction is ticking along nicely, and I assume that I have a lead in tech, because no techs are spreading to me anymore. So it's already 1855, and I'm thinking ... "Ok, what now?" I wanted to play somewhat historical, i.e. not conquer the Americas or go crazy on colonies, so I guess I'll just build my industry and play a bit at removing colonial powers from the Americas? Maybe add some colonies in Oceania and be world police or something? :unsure:

I kinda feel that the way gameplay is structured at the moment all the interesting stuff is happening in the early part of the game, regardless of country - reforming society, enacting laws and juggling IGs, etc. to get to a point where you can expand your industrial economy unimpeded. Sure, you get communists and fascists later, but if you have a form grip on your economy they're not that much of a danger?

I think the biggest differentiation in country flavor comes also from the early parts of the game: what is your local setup, and what steps do you have to take to get to the "optimal" setup? Once you get there, it's more or less the same (with some variation provided by what resources you have and how big you are compared to neighbors/major powers).

I hope there will be more viable playstyles once the first round of patches have ironed out some (esp. economical) kinks. In theory, if economy and trade worked better, you could have international division of labor. Let US produce cotton to feed Britain's clothing industry. Build up cour coffee and banana plantations as Brazil and become an export focused agricultural powerhouse.

As is, the optimal way is always to own all parts of the production chain instead of providing scenarios where trade is the better solution. Currently it's usually only better to bridge temporary shortfalls: need more rubber - better import some till you conquer a rubber producing state and/or upgrade your plantations. That's of course not entirely ahistorical, but it also makes trade feel like a bit of an afterthought, IMHO, when in many ways it should be the "default" way to acquire a bunch of goods and it should be a lot harder to get "direct" access to them, esp. as smaller nations.

Maybe that gets better when AI economy and trade are improved, but I feel as player it will always be "optimal" to just conquer the states that produce what you need and build complete production chains for full autarchy.
If we want to prevent catastrophic economic and societal change we will have to radically change our climate system.

Zanza

The first third of the game is the most fun part of any Paradox game, except I guess HoI.

Josephus

Quote from: Zanza on November 28, 2022, 12:19:40 PMThe first third of the game is the most fun part of any Paradox game, except I guess HoI.

Strangely, I feel that way about HOI, as well. Building up, determining what you're going to focus on, and building up your armies to compete with Germany or Russia is the most fun. Once war breaks out, it gets boring  :D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on November 28, 2022, 01:46:58 PM
Quote from: Zanza on November 28, 2022, 12:19:40 PMThe first third of the game is the most fun part of any Paradox game, except I guess HoI.

Strangely, I feel that way about HOI, as well. Building up, determining what you're going to focus on, and building up your armies to compete with Germany or Russia is the most fun. Once war breaks out, it gets boring  :D

Yep.

1. Intervene in Spain.

2. Mobilize Yugoslavia, Poland, and Czechoslovakia to resist the 1938 Sudetenland Crisis.

3. Kick Germany's ass.

4. Um...guess I will start another game...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Thing with Vicky is that it covers a period of history I'm most interested in, since I was a kid and grew up with (overly romanticized) notions of 19th century wars and colonialism (those pretty uniforms sure helped). It's an era of incredible change to the world and societies, and there's not many games trying to cover that period of transformation. I remember I was sorely disappointed when I picked up SSI's Imperialism when I discovered it to my delight in a shop shortly after its release. I liked what it did in terms of technological advancement and colonial development/wars. But that it was set on a random map and ignored all societal change of the 19th century was a huge minus for me. Vainglory of Nations is another attempt, but ... well, it's not very playable (though I'd like to see them re-try after Field of Glory: Empires turned out quite well).

Another "thing I wish was more impactful": radicals and turmoil. I like the introduction of turmoil as general unrest - causing issues, but not really an armed insurrection (yet). I just feel it should be more impactful than it is. I often ignore it, or maybe up my police institution, and very occasionally use violent suppression.

It would also be great to have better transparency into what causes radicalism/turmoil in certain areas - SoL? Political demands? Discrimination? ... It's opaque in the game, and you can only "guess" by looking at POPs with radicalism which is a pain. I like to think that a lot of the game's opaqueness on information is intentional (states having imperfect vision and all), but it goes a bit far.

Political movements are nice, but it's very rare that my legislation is actually pushed because I have to appease radicals. Like, if Nationalism is researched in your country, your non-accepted pops should get much higher radicalism and push towards acceptance or independence (including against foreign countries, in the case of colonies/puppets, maybe?), creating a lot more problems for the country. And laws like right to assembly or free speech should reduce radicalism for some, but also push radicalism for others who are now more able to express their ideas in the open without suppression.