News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 3

Started by Syt, May 21, 2021, 01:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

So in 1901 every week takes about 1 minute to process (with multiple diplo plays going on, plus wars, plus migration, plus elections ...). :bleeding:

I hope they have a fix for that sooner rather than later, because this is quite unplayable - I can't spend ca. 1 hour per in game year (so 34+) to finish this campaign. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

From reddit:

QuotePDXMikael
·
3 days ago
🔨 Lead Designer
This is being addressed! I mentioned here that we had a branch in testing that addresses the proliferation of pops by mid- to late-game, and since we've now been able to confirm that it doesn't have any unfortunate emergent issues on global demographics or game economy, we should be able to roll it out to you soon, release engineers / tech gods willing.

The biggest issue turned out to be the progressive creation of pops that consisted only of dependents, which would simply languish in each state's unemployment pool since no buildings wanted to hire them due to their lack of workforce. As a result they weren't permitted to move around and merge with other pops, so they'd just sit there until they succumbed to starvation.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Yeah I am kind of hoping they release that fix this week,so after 70 hours I might play something else for a few days. :D

Syt

The game sure has issues, but I have to say it's been a while since I've been pulled into a grand strategy game like this at launch.

There's lots of room for improvement, but big fixes I'd like to see to be implemented soon are:
- fixing circular trades
- fixing late game lag
- making political management harder (though my France game gave me a headache because some IGs were very diametrically opposed - enact any law and will piss off half while making the other half happy; further complicated by group leaders making some IGs act against their "normal" instincts)
- making the AI better at developing their tech, economy and resource extraction
- making the AI more proactive on standard settings (after helping Bavaria against their war against Germany in the 1840s nothing else happened in Germany for the rest of the game - no diplo plays, no one trying to unify, no nothing - countries just sat there, doing their thing)
- making the AI smarter about when to get involved in diplo plays and when not

Mid-term fixes I'd like to see:
- more data transparency and visibility
- making sure that historical outcomes happen a bit more often (American Civil War, German & Italian unifications, a mechanic for ramping up chance of Great Wars later in game)
- slowing down the scramble for colonies and making colony grabbing more reasonable and rooted in national policies (US should be reluctant to take any colonies until their political landscape changes or dixie landowners take over; even then it should look more realistic - US taking colonies/puppets in the Americas first, before taking chunks of Africa)
- more interactive wars (setting strategic targets, strategy/tactics offering more options with more advanced armies, maybe requiring you to "test" new technologies before they actually give you a major edge - they have journal entries that try something like that but it could be expanded)
- more complexity to wars instead of all or nothing struggles (colonial conflicts vs. territorial wars between great powers), a mechanic to escalate wars (i.e. pulling the US into WW1).

Long term (DLCs?)
- more industries/economic; e.g. add museums and artists/archaeology, opera houses and prestigious composers, painters, writers, movie makers .... (that's more a personal wish, which is probably of interest for few people :P However, having "national literature", "national museums", etc. were important for national identity for some countries of the era); tied into this - more "great people" outside of the interest groups, maybe - inventors, business leaders ...
- based on that - make IGs more complex; instead of just the leaders, have 2 "influential  people" behind them that are jockeying for leadership and try to pull the IGs in different directions and affecting them to a larger or smaller degree to model the infighting some of those groups saw and making them less monolithic
- more national flavor and events
- foreign investment and informal empire building
- MOAR of everything :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on November 07, 2022, 04:27:05 PMYeah I am kind of hoping they release that fix this week,so after 70 hours I might play something else for a few days. :D

70 hours after two weeks?  :wacko:

Syt

I have 120 or 130, but I also have had it open while doing other stuff/surfing etc.  :blush:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

So far I really enjoy the game. I hope it becomes as successful as their other games and gets new content for several years.

Sheilbh

Yes to all of Syt's suggestions. I'd also like them to look at 1848 as a separate mechanic - at the minute I think the revolution mechanic is a little too abstract/connected to laws. Maybe along the lines of the reformation in EUIV?

Possibly - especially for Germany and Italy have "unification" as a thing for interest groups, simlarly with modernisation/traditionalism in, say Japan or China, in ways that go beyond their views on laws?

I really like the national museum etc idea - maybe tie to expeditions at the minute/make it linked to either art academies or colonialism.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Is there a mechanism to simulate the spreading of revolutions or at least revolutionary ideas across borders, even into countries with very different laws and systems?

That's what we saw in 1848, but also 1989, 2011 (arab spring) off the top of my head.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Maladict on November 08, 2022, 08:51:37 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 07, 2022, 04:27:05 PMYeah I am kind of hoping they release that fix this week,so after 70 hours I might play something else for a few days. :D

70 hours after two weeks?  :wacko:

Like Syt I have accumulated a few hours of leaving it open but yes :P

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 08, 2022, 12:59:19 PMYes to all of Syt's suggestions. I'd also like them to look at 1848 as a separate mechanic - at the minute I think the revolution mechanic is a little too abstract/connected to laws. Maybe along the lines of the reformation in EUIV?

Possibly - especially for Germany and Italy have "unification" as a thing for interest groups, simlarly with modernisation/traditionalism in, say Japan or China, in ways that go beyond their views on laws?

I really like the national museum etc idea - maybe tie to expeditions at the minute/make it linked to either art academies or colonialism.

They are trying to do it dynamically but its linked to a country (German one at that, I think) becoming a republic which is a longshot to begin with, and then what it does it makes random IG leaders radical. Which CAN become a big deal but also can be meh.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2022, 01:04:39 PMIs there a mechanism to simulate the spreading of revolutions or at least revolutionary ideas across borders, even into countries with very different laws and systems?

That's what we saw in 1848, but also 1989, 2011 (arab spring) off the top of my head.

When I was devolving Britain into an agrarian state I got hit by the revolts, and it gives you events to "export" the ideas to other countries, yes.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Btw, on notifications for stuff - in the folder common\notification types you have two files that define whether an event goes into the feed (and for how many days), if it gets a proper popup or if it gets a "toast" (think "Welsh are migrating to Kansas" etc.). Editing that will pop up messages you don't want to miss. E.g. IG leaders dying, diplomatic plays starting etc. It also lets you push notices to the feed (again, migration target notices :P ) that currently pop up.

I'm switching to "toast" the ones I don't want to miss. Ideally you'd use proper popups, but there's a good chance you'd have to define them first in the relevant .gui file, and I feel lazy. :P

I hope they move the stuff from the file into the game settings to be changed by users, and add an auto-pause option. There's also the interface\messagetypes.txt, but it seems more opaque and may be a leftover from previous versions (it refers to CRISIS and INVESTED_IN_US which seems more Vic2 than Vic3)? :unsure:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

New dev diary, outlining part 1 of the first "big" patch. OPB once again does a great summary, and I tend to agree with his points on the legitimacy changes and the pop panel changes:

@Tamas, the AI economy mod has been updated. I let it run in observer mode yesterday till 1901 or so. Small countries seem to be doing better on that after he adjusted some tweaks, though some still seem to have collapsing populations (e.g. Norway's population drops to 25% of starting point, mostly moving to Sweden).

I'm working from home and will run some observer games on my second screen with some additional mods - there's one that makes AI more willing to accept white peace (without just having them peace out at 0 war support like some other mod), and also two mods re: pop fracturing - one that increases the minimum size of pops being split off for migration etc. The other putting immigrant pops into diasporas based on culture groups - e.g. instead of having Poles, Croats, Russians, Ukrainians etc. be their own groups in the new country they will become West Slavic or East Slavic diaspora (and can assimilate from there - if they return to their "old" country they will remain diaspora, though, but can re-assimilate into the old culture). He's put safeguards in place that South Germans moving to North Germany shouldn't become "German diaspora" but he points out that it's not possible yet for him to do similar for POPs moving into a neighboring province (from their homeland) of a different culture group.

Hotfix 1.0.6 is planned for next week, though the DD doesn't state what's in it (I'm guessing the migration/lag fix, at least?).
—Stephen Jay Gould