News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 3

Started by Syt, May 21, 2021, 01:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

HOI4 definitely has plenty of tactical micromanagement, if you want it (which you should, as otherwise you might suffer some casualties).  For that matter, it has plenty of strategic micromanagement as well, since front lines fall apart pretty regularly.

Razgovory

So is this game just not going to have military units?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

Maybe moving from tactical to strategical level allows them to build a competitive AI.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on November 04, 2021, 04:12:11 PM
It's VERY cool they have the guts to move away from standard Paradox stack chasing like that. I hope the crying on their forum won't be too much for leadership to make them revert.

My thoughts exactly.
E.g. Having to siege every crappy Mexican province to get the historical peace is not an experience that needs repeating.

Hopefully it will also help them address the never solved problem of how to model warfare in the 19th century wars of unification AND also the WW1 era
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on November 04, 2021, 09:14:35 PM
So is this game just not going to have military units?

I think there will be units but they just won't be icons you move around on a map.  Rather you assign them to fronts and assign leaders to them with different capabilities.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Richard Hakluyt

The devil is in the detail but I am really pleased with their aims here. I do hope we see the corps and divisions moving about on the map though. I look forward to seeing my armies being comprehensively out-manouevred by the Germans because I foolishly failed to invest in an adequate general staff  :cool:

jimmy olsen

This is insanely ambitious. If they can pull it off is the question.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

It will probably resemble HOI4's battle system except that the AI controls both sides.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on November 08, 2021, 12:24:04 PM
It will probably resemble HOI4's battle system except that the AI controls both sides.
That wouldn't be the worst thing, since HOI4 AI does simulate WW1 warfare pretty well.

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 08, 2021, 07:48:04 AM

My uneducated guess is it might be easier than trying to code AI to move a bunch of units around the map.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 08, 2021, 05:48:17 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 08, 2021, 07:48:04 AM

My uneducated guess is it might be easier than trying to code AI to move a bunch of units around the map.

Yeah the challenge is more about making it in a way that people used to microing stacks in an entirely unrealistic matter will still find it fun and not bury the game under negative reviews.

KRonn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 05, 2021, 01:07:52 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 04, 2021, 04:12:11 PM
It's VERY cool they have the guts to move away from standard Paradox stack chasing like that. I hope the crying on their forum won't be too much for leadership to make them revert.

My thoughts exactly.
E.g. Having to siege every crappy Mexican province to get the historical peace is not an experience that needs repeating.

Hopefully it will also help them address the never solved problem of how to model warfare in the 19th century wars of unification AND also the WW1 era

I'm keeping an open mind on this but I tend to like what they're trying to do with changing combat in this game. It's more a strategic game with the economy, colonies, etc so I guess they're trying to do something similar with combat. I haven't seen what navies and naval combat will be like.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Excitement level increased.  I will honour the promise to myself never to buy a paradox game on release again, after this one.

Habbaku

I was very pleased with my at-release purchase of CK3. So they've earned another at-release purchase with this.  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien