News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 3

Started by Syt, May 21, 2021, 01:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Yes, it was annoying how twitch based things were. Press the button first and the influence /colony can be yours!
Pff.

Quote from: Syt on May 27, 2021, 11:53:29 AM

:lol:

Is political compass a far right thing?
I have noticed the political compass sub reddit (of course there's such a thing) is packed with baby fasc
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

The Political Compass has been around for decades and its inventors were definitely left of center, but also more toward the libertarian pole (libertarian left by their definitions).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Hilarious reminiscing of Vicky 2's terrible economic code

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cyhfG6zeUQ
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Saw this screenshot on reddit, was reminded of Lettow :lol:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-12-treasury.1488588/

Interesting money mechanic explained in the new dev diary. Construction costs are no longer a one-off but instead weekly expenses, and indeed all income and spending is weekly. If you get a surplus, it gets added to your gold reserve (which becomes inefficient after exceeding a soft cap); deficit gets subtracted and you can go into debt that way (which is not a problem in itself but also has a ceiling). I like this system, basically you can start building things right away instead of having to wait until your money ticks up to a certain amount like in EU/CK.

The Minsky Moment

It's a bit confusing because both the budget and the credit markets are a hybrid of government revenue/expenditures and private capital accumulation and spending.  It's done that way I presume to give the player a guiding role even in a laissez faire system. But its not clear how the pools are separated (if they are at all).  Monetary policy is abstracted, which is probably fine for the period up to 1914, but would not work well post 1918 and would not allow playing hypotheticals like carrying out a Populist monetary program in the US in the 1890s.  It also leaves open the question of whether and how the game will model the credit cycle "panics" that troubled much of the 19th century.  For example, while it is close to correct to say that price levels were stable over the long terms during much of this period, there was quite a lot of year-to-year spikes and dips within that trend.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

What I really don't like is the lack of inventory mechanics.  I think having the factory dispose of everything they produced every day, one way or the other, is too much of a kludge.  Not having any stockpiles of war materiel for times of war is also disappointing.  I hated the "all income, no assets" philosophy in HOI4, as I think it limited a lot of mechanics, but at least HOI4 never pretended to be an economic simulator.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on August 27, 2021, 11:40:34 AM
What I really don't like is the lack of inventory mechanics.  I think having the factory dispose of everything they produced every day, one way or the other, is too much of a kludge.  Not having any stockpiles of war materiel for times of war is also disappointing.  I hated the "all income, no assets" philosophy in HOI4, as I think it limited a lot of mechanics, but at least HOI4 never pretended to be an economic simulator.

I don't have a problem with ending war stockpiles because it made the game too easy for the human player and was unrealistic to boot.  No goods inventories is another story because inventory build ups and draw downs play into business cycle fluctuations.  It is not clear if there is any in game system to model business cycle booms and busts.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Crazy_Ivan80

it's been a while but iirc you could build up stockpiles of this and that in hoi4

DGuller

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on August 28, 2021, 11:05:26 AM

it's been a while but iirc you could build up stockpiles of this and that in hoi4
You can stockpile equipment and fuel, but nothing else.  You can't stockpile civilian production (which means you can't buy/sell equipment, hence the need for events that give you extra civ factories for a period in exchange for 25 bombers), and you can't stockpile resources.  The moment you lose access to steel, the ship and tank production grinds to a halt the very next day.

The Brain

What if you give someone your heart?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2021, 11:26:38 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on August 28, 2021, 11:05:26 AM

You can stockpile equipment and fuel, but nothing else.  You can't stockpile civilian production (which means you can't buy/sell equipment, hence the need for events that give you extra civ factories for a period in exchange for 25 bombers), and you can't stockpile resources.  The moment you lose access to steel, the ship and tank production grinds to a halt the very next day.

ah yes, true enough. agree that this is indeed a rather annoying system

Threviel

Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2021, 11:26:38 AM

If I remember HoI3 correctly you could stockpile vast amounts of resources, enough to last a good part of the war and that seems to me even more unrealistic.

For example Germany relied on Swedish iron ore, without it tank and ship production would have ground to a halt. Sure they had reserves, but not years worth of reserves. And the same with everything really, no one had gigantic warehouses filled with aluminium for use in case of war.

I think the HoI4 system all in all works better, perhaps there should be a time lag based on distance to resource or something, but that seems overly advanced without much gain. It's a game after all, not a logistics simulator.

DGuller

I never played HOI3, but I did get a sense that this design choice for HOI4 was in response to over-stockpiling in HOI3, but I think that went way too far the other way.  Not only is it a bad gameplay, but it's also an annoying gameplay, since you get into these endless cycles of resource availability for trading changing every day, and you having to stay on top of it.  With some stockpiling you can just have "buy up to" orders and not have to be on top of them full time.