News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Just downloaded the After the End mod. Looks pretty fun. Starting out as a King of the Haida, with a goal to conquer real life BC and environs and then see how far I can take it.

Vancouver is run by Cosmopolitan Sikhs, with many of the other neighbours being various flavours of Canuck hippies. The Haida, meanwhile, are a raiding culture like the vikings. My guy also has 1700 event troops, so it may be a pretty easy start.

One little twist is that my guy also has a concubine with a -100 opinion (from rival and "forced me to be concubine"). She's beautiful and quick so that's very attractive. She also has 21 intrigue, while my guy has 4, and she's the mother of my heir. As usual at start everyone on council has negative opinions. I think it might be prudent to send her far far away if I want my guy to survive.

In any case, I think I'll start with some quick conquests of Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland and see how far that gets me... :)

It's been pretty fun to just read the different cultures and religions as I decided where to start playing.

Syt

Features list for Road to Power:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2671070/Crusader_Kings_III_Roads_to_Power/

QuoteThe glory and might of the Byzantine Empire are yours to command in this expansion to Crusader Kings III. The unique politics and cultures of the heir to the Roman Empire are on display through new governing systems, new ways for characters to progress up the medieval ladder, and new activities for your characters. You can also explore a new exciting lifestyle as a landless Adventurer, seeking fame and glory across a living map of the medieval world.
Roads to Power features include:

Administrative Government: Experience medieval rule outside of the feudal system with new styles of empire management. A web of Governors jockeys for position in the empire with intrigue and power, sometimes rewarding merit and sometimes rewarding perfidy. Only a truly skilled Emperor can keep these squabbling forces in line.

The Family Estate: Run and manage a powerful Family Estate, the seat of your Houses' power. Construct new buildings and improvements to further your power and influence within the Empire.

A Life of Adventure: Freely roam the map, untied to any realm or holding, going where the winds of fortune blow you. Fulfil contracts as a landless adventurer, even through the generations, building up a reputation of your own. Earn gold, prestige and fame traveling the globe until you decide to settle down and claim a land you have earned through merit.

Influence System: Build up a character's influence within an administrative empire to climb even higher in the opinion of the Emperor, gathering more power to yourself. Start as a landless noble on an estate, and compete for valuable provinces to govern.

New Imperial Management: Run a sprawling imperial bureaucracy, appointing and directing the governors of your provinces.

Choose Successor or Caesar: The Byzantine Emperor can choose their heir from a list of Influential candidates or important family members, and even opt to co-rule if the burden of empire is too much.

New Byzantine Flavor Content: New events, monuments and activities built around the Byzantine theme, including chariot racing.

Cosmetic additions: A Byzantine-themed UI skin and new court fashions for your characters, as well as new 2D event art for activities like chariot racing, new on map monuments of the Byzantine and Roman worlds, new on map holding designs and a Byzantine throne room for Royal Court sessions, among other aesthetic improvements...

The "Life of Adventure", while an often requested feature, might end up really underwhelming, because without a demesne to rule, marriages to forge, wars to wage - what is there to do? Even as someone who leans more into the RP side of things, I expect this to be really lacking in features/content.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

I'm looking forward to it :)

Update on my current After the End game - I'm close to forming the Empire of Cascadia, and have been raiding down the California coast. I just sacked San Francisco, which gave a good payout.

After I form the Empire of Cascadia, I'll probably look to conquer more kingdoms and place relatives on their thrones, but keep my territory contained. I might hybridize my culture (Haida) with that of my capital (Canuck)... not sure yet.

One weirdness is that I'm a clan based government (which I don't have much experience with), but I can't find the tax jurisdiction tab. I have an option to look for tax collectors, but nowhere to place anyone as such. Kind of weird.