News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Habbaku on February 29, 2024, 01:06:38 PMAnyone on Languish committed to the spread of Managed Democracy in Helldivers 2? I have a small group that's playing pretty frequently if you'd like to join us.  :)

Took the plunge. Had a fun evening with it. Very annoying that I don't have a proper mike.

Habbaku

The game makes a good headset near-mandatory if you want to coordinate decently, IMO.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Helldivers 2 confuses me.
It has seemingly come from nowhere. I've never heard of the original. But my news feed is getting pumped with it. And there seems to be an awful lot of "I hope they're being satirical..." fascy language in comments around it.
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

It's quite fun. Especially with buddies.

Not that big a fan of the importance of running, though. The game really punishes you for taking a stand as you go up in difficulty.

Syt

Been playing a bit of Monster Train, a roguelike deckbuilder.

I like it, I think, but I feel it lacks the elegant simplicity of Slay the Spire?

Instead of the "normal" combat encounters of STS, it's a wave defense scenario. Your train has three floors, plus a top floor where your "pyre" is. Invader waves enter your train on bottom floor and ascend one floor each turn. Your cards are a mix of minions (think Hearthstone) and spells. You play your cards, finish your turn, then combat resolves. In general, enemies attack first. Afterwards, any post-combat effects trigger and enemies ascend. Each combat encounter has a final boss, and every third one will be against a major boss.

Between combat you can choose between two "tracks" where you can upgrade cards, have what's kind of the equivalent of the "?" rooms of STS, recruit units, etc.

Each run you pick your "main clan" which determines your champion and base card set, plus "allied clan" which adds supplementary cards. E.g. you can choose "Stygian" as main which focuses e.g. on spells and frost damage over time and combine it with the Awoken(?) who will give more health regen. Additionally, cards can be upgraded with up to two modifiers (e.g. giving a minion more health, or multiple attacks per turn, or reducing costs of spells or making them more powerful). You can get artifacts (like in STS), and there's a few risk reward mechanics, like adding enemy buffs to a combat encounter for better rewards, or similar.

It's very polished in its presentation, the soundtrack is great, and there's many permutations how your game can be customized. Though the wave attack and the amount of stuff that can (and can't) synergize is a lot. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.