News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Democrats can be Trumpists too?

Started by crazy canuck, May 11, 2021, 12:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on May 13, 2021, 10:58:00 AM
This is not some international dispute between treaty signatories that signals the United States disdain for treaty obligations, and hence the entire point of the OP is, well.....just more bullshit hyperbole whining.

Precisely my point.  This is not a new dispute, nor an international one (except insofar as the American corporations involved may be wholly or partially owned by a Canadian company).  It is an escalation of a long-standing dispute that already has resulted in three legal settlements over the span of almost three-quarters of a century.  It certainly affects Canada, and the Canadian government's interest (and appeal to the pipeline treaty) is understandable and practically required.

But there's no "Trumpism" involved here, and I think that the chances that the Whitmer administration prevails here is tiny (and, I suspect, it knew that before it filed the suit).  I lack the information to tell for sure whether this is political grandstanding (which would be my guess) or merely staking a position prior to negotiation or arbitration (which I think is JR's guess).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

That's as close as you're gonna get to an admission beebs. I'd take it and run.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on May 13, 2021, 10:51:47 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 13, 2021, 10:12:11 AM
(snip)
+ The statement "[t]he jurisdiction a public company is registered in has almost nothing to do with anything" goes way too far.  The place of registration has very big implications for the law that applies to internal affairs of the company - including big stuff like the scope and nature of fiduciary obligations.  In the US, the place of registration of a corp. also confers general jurisdiction, which means that any claim against the corp can be brought in the state even if that state has no other connection to the claim.

Indeed.  The SEC itself notes that
Quotea company that is incorporated in a state, territory, or possession of the United States can never qualify as a foreign private issuer, regardless of the location of its shareholders, assets, or management.
https://www.sec.gov/divisions/corpfin/internatl/foreign-private-issuers-overview.shtml#II

It seems that the jurisdiction of incorporation does, indeed, impact more than just internal matters.  Enbridge Incorporated is incorporated in Canada and is a a foreign private issuer, per their own website.  Enbridge Energy Limited Partnership, Enbridge Energy Company, Incorporated, and Enbridge Energy Partners LP cannot be foreign private issuers, based on where they were incorporated (a state of the United States).

There is really no way to put lipstick on that pig.

"Enbridge Energy Limited Partnership, Enbridge Energy Company, Incorporated, and Enbridge Energy Partners LP" can not be foreign private issuers for a far more fundamental reason - they are not public companies.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on May 13, 2021, 11:51:58 AM
That's as close as you're gonna get to an admission beebs. I'd take it and run.

May 13th. Mark it down in your calendars.

crazy canuck

It is really hopeless BB, an American Governor takes an action which is a violation of a Treaty between the US and Canada and the usual American suspects disjoint themselves into silly looking knots trying to make it something else.

Berkut

There is definitely something hopeless here.

Bigotry is always sad to see.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on May 13, 2021, 01:13:26 PM

I don't know why we give him so much oxygen.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Indeed.  But what is even more sad is when Americans rally around a clear violation of international law.   

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2021, 01:54:00 PM

Indeed.  But what is even more sad is when Americans rally around a clear violation of international law.   

Right. So clear. Everything is always so clear to you. Funny...that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

It's a bilateral commercial treaty not the Hague Convention.  Of all possible issues of principle, the sacred right to pump hydrocarbons through a metal tube is not the one I would stake my stand on but YMMV.

This is about an agreement between two countries and there is a dispute about the meaning and scope that agreement.  It's a contract dispute.  And it is being treated by all sides in the normal and accepted manner of such disputes, in accordance with the law.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Canadians are rallying around that "clear violation of international law" as well, so your smug bigotry is misplaced.
QuoteANISHINABEK NATION HEAD OFFICE, ON, May 6, 2021 /CNW/ - Anishinabek Nation leadership are disappointed with the federal government's opposition to the closure of Line 5 in Michigan noting that this ignores the long-standing cross-border commitment to protect the Great Lakes via the Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement.

"It is upsetting to see that the Government of Canada will pick and choose which treaties to uphold based on convenience and profit, rather than in good faith for the health, safety, and well-being of all inhabitants of these lands," states Anishinabek Nation Grand Council Chief Glen Hare. "The Government of Canada is not upholding the treaties made with the First Nations, but will uphold the 1977 treaty for Pipelines...
As First Nations people, we have direct responsibility to protect water and a deep spiritual connection with water. Should anything that's being transported in these 67-year-old pipelines get into the Great Lakes, it would have devastating effects and irreparable consequences," says Grand Council Chief Hare. "We stand in solidarity with our relatives on the other side of the Medicine Line who are working relentlessly to protect our Great Lakes. Those in positions of power who can put an end to this environmental threat need to step up and help us in our efforts to protect our water sources."

QuoteThe Anishinabek Nation is a political advocate for 39 member First Nations across Ontario, representing approximately 65,000 citizens.  The Anishinabek Nation is the oldest political organization in Ontario and can trace its roots back to the Confederacy of Three Fires, which existed long before European contact.
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/anishinabek-nation-leadership-supports-shut-down-of-line-5-pipeline-841152299.html
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Are they getting uppity and snobbish again.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on May 14, 2021, 12:55:16 AM

Not "they" but "he."

Not "again," but "still."

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: 11B4V on May 14, 2021, 12:55:16 AM
The Anishinabek?  No, not really.  Why?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.