News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro 2020/2021

Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

In the second half, yes.

Belgium without De Bruyne is a nice little gift for the next opponents of the Diables Rouges though.

Admiral Yi

Man, how did they miss the tug on the jersey by Portugal?

Duque de Bragança

Same way they missed the assault on Pavard by Goosens, the red on Lloris following the elbowing on Danilo etc.

Referee was bad. Brych...

Duque de Bragança

That certainly felt at times like a remake of the Bleus vs Diables Rouges 2018 game with Belgium being France and Portugal Belgium.   :hmm:

I am afraid this will be a Pyrrhic victory with key Belgian players injured, paving the way for Italy or even France (chatte à Dédé inside).

Jacob

Quote from: Threviel on June 27, 2021, 02:37:36 PM
For Swedes Denmark (and Iceland) is normally the second team, we cheer on them unless they are facing us. Likewise, but I think to a lesser extent, Finland and even sometimes Norway.

I would think that the same would go for Benelux and perhaps Iberia? Is it so? Is it the same for Danes?

It is for me at least.

Zoupa

The 3 teams I usually cheer for are France, Portugal and Italy. 2000, 2006 and 2016 were tough.

The Larch

Quote from: Threviel on June 27, 2021, 02:37:36 PMI would think that the same would go for Benelux and perhaps Iberia? Is it so?

While there might be some Spaniards who would cheer for Portugal, finding a Portuguese cheering for Spain is a much harder task.  :lol:

Threviel

Quote from: The Larch on June 28, 2021, 05:38:45 AM
Quote from: Threviel on June 27, 2021, 02:37:36 PMI would think that the same would go for Benelux and perhaps Iberia? Is it so?

While there might be some Spaniards who would cheer for Portugal, finding a Portuguese cheering for Spain is a much harder task.  :lol:

Quite understandable  :P

How come?

The Larch

Quote from: Threviel on June 28, 2021, 05:54:46 AM

Quite understandable  :P

How come?

Historical rivalry.

You'll find that the Scandinavian sense of brotherhood that you mentioned is exceedingly rare in almost any other part of the continent.

Duque de Bragança

Some Spaniards as in Galicians? Because others, not so much.  :P

Finding a Portuguese cheering for Spain? Well, depends on the team playing Spain. In France, finding a Portuguese cheering for Spain vs France, England or Germany should not be that difficult.
I actually liked Spain in 2008.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on June 27, 2021, 08:28:42 PM
Quote from: Threviel on June 27, 2021, 02:37:36 PM
For Swedes Denmark (and Iceland) is normally the second team, we cheer on them unless they are facing us. Likewise, but I think to a lesser extent, Finland and even sometimes Norway.

I would think that the same would go for Benelux and perhaps Iberia? Is it so? Is it the same for Danes?

It is for me at least.
Yeah - in general I think English people are happy if Ireland, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland do well. But that is, understandably, not reciprocated at all :lol:

Honestly whenever I watch any game of football I basically pick a side.

In England you see lots of comments like "who is your second team in the Euros and why is it Italy?" which I think is pretty common. That's not through any particular affinity with Italy just that they (especially with Mancini's outfit) look very good/stylish and my generation grew up watching Serie A highlight shows and football in the 90s when Serie A was the peak - so Italian football has a special sentimental/nostalgic value. I imagine in 20 years there'll be loads of English Spain fans because when they were kids they were watching the 2000s peak Barcelona/Madrid teams plus the Spanish team.

I think everyone likes smaller nations as well. This time I think everyone wants Denmark to do well because of what happened in the first game, but I really like Sweden and have a soft spot for Croatia. But except for Denmark-support I don't know how widespread those views are.

But I like Belgium too - I love Lukaku. I find this version of France is a bit like England in that I'm always slightly disappointed when I watch at how defensive they are given their attacking talent - but Deschamps/Southgate are defensive, negative coaches so...
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I wouldn't root for Italy even if they played Satan with the fate of all mankind on the line. Never. NEVER.

Outside of that, yeah I'll root for the underdogs and I have a very big soft spot for the USMNT (also an underdog), since I spent 3 years living in the US, including the 2010 WC. Don't care for Portugal either way, really, particularly after Cronaldo left Real Madrid.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on June 28, 2021, 06:59:51 AMI wouldn't root for Italy even if they played Satan with the fate of all mankind on the line. Never. NEVER.

I would.  :lol:

Come on, '94 has already been exorcised several times over.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on June 28, 2021, 07:06:34 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 28, 2021, 06:59:51 AMI wouldn't root for Italy even if they played Satan with the fate of all mankind on the line. Never. NEVER.

I would.  :lol:

Come on, '94 has already been exorcised several times over.

What good is a sports grudge if you can't take it to your grave?

Duque de Bragança

Given what is blamed to Italy has been copied and "perfected" by the likes of France and Germany (if not invented for the latter cf. Schwalbe) , I find it hard to hold only such a grudge against la Squadra Azzurra.

Specially now that Italy plays a more attractive football.