Delta seeking volunteers to help out in loyalty lounges amid staffing shortage

Started by Zoupa, May 12, 2021, 03:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Delta could always issue some shares and use them to pay the "volunteers" if there is a cash shortage  :lol:

But that would go against the rules of actually remunerating the people doing the grunt work properly.

Zanza

Many service jobs today are what manufacturing jobs were back in the day.

Jobs like delivery drivers, logistics center workers, kitchen or hospitality staff, etc. take fairly little skill, are often physically demanding (at least more so than office jobs), personnel is interchangeable etc. Without higher wages (maybe from unionization) the sector will stay low productivity,  hindering societal growth.

Manufacturing on the other hand has mostly moved on. The worst parts are done by robots and workers in Western World manufacturers have well-paid, medium to high skill, often  not physically demanding jobs with extremely high productivity. 

The Brain

We certainly need drone parcel delivery to become standard. Just checking my balcony when I get home to see which goodies I got today would be sweet.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on May 13, 2021, 03:59:55 AM
We certainly need drone parcel delivery to become standard. Just checking my balcony when I get home to see which goodies I got today would be sweet.

I wouldn't be interested in more things whizzing about in the air.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2021, 05:04:43 AM

Then tick the "no drone delivery" box when you order.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on May 13, 2021, 05:39:14 AM

Presumably they will still whizz about even I chose not to use them? And unfortunately, I've not yet reached secluded manor status.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2021, 05:59:34 AM

Presumably they will still whizz about even I chose not to use them? And unfortunately, I've not yet reached secluded manor status.

Your personal preferences should matter to other people because?

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on May 13, 2021, 06:10:14 AM

This is a discussion forum and we are also discussing our preferences and opinions?

Also, weren't you express a preference when you said you'd like have drones delivering parcels to your balcony?

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2021, 06:19:39 AM

This is a discussion forum and we are also discussing our preferences and opinions?

Also, weren't you express a preference when you said you'd like have drones delivering parcels to your balcony?

OK if you don't object to other people's stuff whizzing about in the air then I'm perfectly fine with that.

Zanza

Using public space for private endeavors, be it commercial or non-commercial, needs a certain degree of societal consent as the freedom of those using public space might infringe on the freedom of those prefering non-usage.

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on May 13, 2021, 06:24:13 AM
Using public space for private endeavors, be it commercial or non-commercial, needs a certain degree of societal consent as the freedom of those using public space might infringe on the freedom of those prefering non-usage.

The law handles that.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on May 13, 2021, 06:22:58 AM
OK if you don't object to other people's stuff whizzing about in the air then I'm perfectly fine with that.

I don't take issue with you have a preference, but I was communicating that I wouldn't want anybody's things whizzing about. Sounds dangerous and not worth the benefit from my perspective.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2021, 06:26:37 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 13, 2021, 06:22:58 AM

I don't take issue with you have a preference, but I was communicating that I wouldn't want anybody's things whizzing about. Sounds dangerous and not worth the benefit from my perspective.

Dangerous? If you think there are reasons not to have them that go beyond your personal preference then those I think are very relevant to other people.

Syt

Brain seems to have not gotten enough sleep last night. He's crankier than usual.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on May 13, 2021, 06:25:44 AM
Quote from: Zanza on May 13, 2021, 06:24:13 AM

The law handles that.
The law is the way it is partly because of how garbon feels about other people having their packages delivered by drones.  That's how it should be when externalities are involved.