News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Phishing text link

Started by DGuller, April 20, 2021, 11:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I just did something stupid on my iPhone.  I got a pretty transparently spammy text message with a link, but I was caught with my guard down, particularly since the message happened to be plausibly similar to what I could've gotten legitimately.  Before my critical thinking could turn on, I clicked on the link, at which point I realized my error.

My question is, is there any possibility that clicking on that link could've done something malicious to my phone?  I didn't type in my password or anything, I just clicked on the link in the text message.

Barrister

Just clicking on a link by itself should be fine.  Your iPhone is a lot more locked down that a PC.

At worst you may have notified the phisher that your number is valid.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on April 20, 2021, 11:24:35 AM
I just did something stupid on my iPhone.  I got a pretty transparently spammy text message with a link, but I was caught with my guard down, particularly since the message happened to be plausibly similar to what I could've gotten legitimately.  Before my critical thinking could turn on, I clicked on the link, at which point I realized my error.

My question is, is there any possibility that clicking on that link could've done something malicious to my phone?  I didn't type in my password or anything, I just clicked on the link in the text message.

I don't know about Iphone's specifically, but I believe that just clicking on a link can in some circumstances install malware. Does your phone have antivirus software? I'd run it. Or if you don't have one, download one and run it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

a possibility, yes, but very slim :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

did the same last week. As BB suggested, I got spammed with calls from a very concerned robo caller who wanted to make sure I did not go to jail.  All I need to do was send them money and they would take care of it.  Our IT folks said my phone was fine.