German Federal Election 2021 - Who will succeed Angela Merkel?

Started by Zanza, April 19, 2021, 10:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The top candidates of the seven parties in the current parliament

4 (12.1%)
17 (51.5%)
4 (12.1%)
3 (9.1%)
2 (6.1%)
2 (6.1%)
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Zanza

Will be interesting if either Greens or FDP leadership is willing to go into a coalition with their non-favored big party. And whether their grassroots members will actually be willing to support it.

Syt

https://www.reddit.com/r/germany/comments/pwe7c9/if_germany_used_the_us_electoral_college_2021/

QuoteI already did this for the 2017 election. Have fun comparing them.
Please note that this is just for fun, voting behaviours would certainly change if another electoral system were in place.
To determine the electoral votes for each federal state, I used a the same system the US does: Each federal state gets two seats in the senate and some seats in the House of Representatives relative to their population. Each state has as many electoral votes as their seats in the senate and the House of Representatives combined. To find out how many seats in the House of Representatives (435 seats in total) each state gets, I used the Huntington–Hill method that is also used in the US for this purpose. I used each federal state's results from the recent federal elections of 2021 (you can find the raw data here) and looked at the "Zweitstimme", as that is the vote you cast for a specific party, rather than the "Erststimme", which is the vote you cast for a local representative. For the political affiliation of each party, I used the ones Wikipedia lists to stay as neutral as possible.
I hope you find this as interesting as I do ^^

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

More maps :w00t:

Where parties are stronger/weaker, geographically.

Interesting to see the former GDR really standing out with regards to Linke, AfD, Greens, and to lesser extent CDU.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

It is interesting how distinct East Germany remains after 30+ years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2021, 12:27:03 PM

Yeah, and Bavaria - after how long...

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on September 27, 2021, 11:47:16 AM
More maps :w00t:

Where parties are stronger/weaker, geographically.

Interesting to see the former GDR really standing out with regards to Linke, AfD, Greens, and to lesser extent CDU.

So, in the district where the Greens are the strongest nationally is also where the CDU and FDP are at their weakest? Makes sense, I guess. Super hipster part of Berlin?

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2021, 12:46:06 PM

Bavaria is a distinct political entity since 555 AD, when the older Bavarian duchy  was founded by the Merovingians.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on September 27, 2021, 12:59:08 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2021, 12:46:06 PM

Bavaria is a distinct political entity since 555 AD, when the older Bavarian duchy  was founded by the Merovingians.  :P

No reminder that "true" Bavaria was not part of Germania in Roman times? Not even part of Roman Germania. [spoiler]Roman though[/spoiler]
Disappointed.  :thumbsdown:

Maladict

Zanza

Quote from: Maladict on September 27, 2021, 02:02:46 PM
Did the Greens not bother to run in Saarland?
They violated some rules when forming their party list for Saarland and were disqualified. An amateurish mistake really.

Syt

Their party list was rejected. Following internal conflicts, the federal arbitration committee of the Greens excluded the Saarlouis organization of the Greens from the vote for the party list. The federal election commission then rejected the party list because this exclusion violated democratic principles.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on September 27, 2021, 02:09:19 PM
They violated some rules when forming their party list for Saarland and were disqualified. An amateurish mistake really.

Seems like the French Greens.  :D

Barrister

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 27, 2021, 02:34:22 PM
Quote from: Zanza on September 27, 2021, 02:09:19 PM

Seems like the French Greens.  :D

And our Canadian Greens!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.