German Federal Election 2021 - Who will succeed Angela Merkel?

Started by Zanza, April 19, 2021, 10:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The top candidates of the seven parties in the current parliament

4 (12.1%)
17 (51.5%)
4 (12.1%)
3 (9.1%)
2 (6.1%)
2 (6.1%)
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Crazy_Ivan80

god forbid that people don't vote the right way in a democracy....

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 07, 2021, 12:01:33 PM

Am I just supposed to plug in whatever whiny victim complex you were going to elaborate on with the "..."? :P

It was a joke man. Chill. Saxons can have their regional party.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Complaining that other people vote the wrong way is pretty common in democracy...

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on September 07, 2021, 12:10:38 PM

Complaining that other people vote the wrong way is pretty common in democracy...
It'll be a cold day in hell before I forgive the Lib Dems <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 07, 2021, 12:12:30 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 07, 2021, 12:10:38 PM

It'll be a cold day in hell before I forgive the Lib Dems <_<

Building new buildings will ruin Britain!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Extreme right wing party Der III. Weg (The IIIrd Way) have hung up posters in Munich and Zwickau (Saxony): "Hängt die Grünen" ("Hang the Greens"), with a small print adding that they want people to hang up posters in their party color (green).

Police in Munich removed the posters. In Zwickau, the state prosecutor said they have no reasons to take steps against the posters: yes, they're meant as call to murder, but "the Greens" could refer to politicians or supporters/voters of the Greens, so it's not very concrete and therefore they can not prosecute for incitement to violence. But the city is free to ban the posters, if they choose.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

QuoteExtreme right wing party Der III. Weg (The IIIrd Way)
Surely I'm not the only one to see this and read 'Der III Reich'?
Intentional on their part I suppose?

Quote"Hängt die Grünen" ("Hang the Greens"), with a small print adding that they want people to hang up posters in their party color (green).

Police in Munich removed the posters. In Zwickau, the state prosecutor said they have no reasons to take steps against the posters: yes, they're meant as call to murder, but "the Greens" could refer to politicians or supporters/voters of the Greens, so it's not very concrete and therefore they can not prosecute for incitement to violence. But the city is free to ban the posters, if they choose.
Sigh.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

In German it's Das Dritte Reich, but yeah, probably not a coincidence, and possibly also a reference to the Three Percenters:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Percenters
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Agelastus

I assume the English expression "hang the (something)" (as in "hang the money" or "hang the cost" when you don't care about the cost or consequences if something needs to be done - or simply don't care about them when specifying a party or similar thing, such as being told "the Greens will object" if you are doing something) exists in German?

Because I would really, really like to read it that way but I don't suppose I can...

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Syt

Quote from: Agelastus on September 08, 2021, 05:25:40 AM
I assume the English expression "hang the (something)" (as in "hang the money" or "hang the cost" when you don't care about the cost or consequences if something needs to be done - or simply don't care about them when specifying a party or similar thing, such as being told "the Greens will object" if you are doing something) exists in German?

Not really. It would be "Pfeif auf die Kosten!" (whistle on the cost, literally), or - more vulgar - "Scheiß auf die Kosten!" (screw/fuck the cost).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

The problem is not so much the Nazis of that obscure "3rd Way" party, but the lack of reaction by authorities in Saxony. They should remove the posters and crack down on the Nazis.

Josquius

Because I would really, really like to read it that way but I don't suppose I can...

Can't say I've ever ran into this expression.
The closest I can think of is "X should be hung", which is non literally saying you disapprove strongly of X. Whether it has a neck or not.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on September 08, 2021, 05:48:16 AM
The problem is not so much the Nazis of that obscure "3rd Way" party, but the lack of reaction by authorities in Saxony. They should remove the posters and crack down on the Nazis.

Well yeah, but it is Saxony.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on September 08, 2021, 05:57:13 AM

The closest I can think of is "X should be hung", which is non literally saying you disapprove strongly of X. Whether it has a neck or not.

Hang, to dry, is greener actually than using dryers.  :smarty:

[spoiler]I know it's not what they meant.[/spoiler]

Agelastus

Quote from: Tyr on September 08, 2021, 05:57:13 AM

Most of the definitions I can find focus on the "hang the cost" usage but it's used in other contexts as well -

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/hang

Quotehang (something)
A phrase used when one is being dismissive of something. Primarily heard in UK.
Oh, hang the cost—I just need any hotel room you have.

Apparently not across all the UK though.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."