News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The EU thread

Started by Tamas, April 16, 2021, 08:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

It's the right decision - and I think rationing may well be necessary in the end. Also strikingly (possibly deliberately?) 10 years to the day from "whatever it takes".
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Sheilbh

Well aren't they opposed to (and opted out of?) the energy sanctions?
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 26, 2022, 02:18:17 PMIt's the right decision - and I think rationing may well be necessary in the end. Also strikingly (possibly deliberately?) 10 years to the day from "whatever it takes".

Maybe if it was actually accompanied by the famous Zeitenwende. Still waiting on that. Ukrainians are dying every day, still waiting on that.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zoupa on July 26, 2022, 02:29:46 PMMaybe if it was actually accompanied by the famous Zeitenwende. Still waiting on that. Ukrainians are dying every day, still waiting on that.
I think that is happening but will take time. I have more confidence in Baerbock and Habeck but I think the SPD and CDU are realising the need for the shift.

It is a huge transformation that will have lots of implications to work through - and my sense is that Germany isn't necessarily great at moving quickly. I think it'll be the same repeatedly as has been the case throughout this war of Germany resisting change for long enough to annoy everyone and then doing or agreeing to change but too late to get any credit for it.

Germany is paying a price for this in goodwill and trust from their CEE partners.
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

If you read the article, it looks like Spain and Portugal got their exemptions in the fine print.

Which is only logical, since we can't just send our supply north.

HVC

How long would it take to get a pipeline through France to pass along that sweet sweet North African gas?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Iormlund

In normal circumstances, years.

Zanza

Quote from: Zoupa on July 26, 2022, 02:29:46 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 26, 2022, 02:18:17 PMIt's the right decision - and I think rationing may well be necessary in the end. Also strikingly (possibly deliberately?) 10 years to the day from "whatever it takes".

Maybe if it was actually accompanied by the famous Zeitenwende. Still waiting on that. Ukrainians are dying every day, still waiting on that.
What are you missing?

On directly helping Ukraine, Germany has delivered weapons within its capabilities (e.g. recently MLRS, more howitzers, flak tanks).

On energy, it is building LNG terminals, reducing gas usage, mandating heat pumps, increasing reliable construction. Even letting the remaining nuclear plants run longer is now seriously considered.

On remilitarisation, F-35, armed drones etc. are being ordered,the $100 bn extra budget was approved by parliament.

On politics, the Greens and Liberals are fairly hawkish on Russia etc. I personally find the speed frustratingly slow, bit Social Democrats and Conservatives are reevaluating their Russia (and China) policy, generally moving in the right direction.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on July 26, 2022, 02:50:07 PMHow long would it take to get a pipeline through France to pass along that sweet sweet North African gas?

Years indeed but not that critical, France has already 3 LNG ports. Norway is ahead of Russia for gas exportation to France by the way. Algeria already sends some LNG through the southern LNG port of Fos-sur-Mer.
A further terminal is planned in Le Havre.

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 26, 2022, 04:00:50 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 26, 2022, 02:50:07 PMHow long would it take to get a pipeline through France to pass along that sweet sweet North African gas?

Years indeed but n ot that critical, France has already 3 LNG ports. Norway is ahead of Russia for gas exportation to France by the way. Algeria already sends some LNG through the southern LNG port of Fos-sur-Mer.
A further terminal is planned in Le Havre.

I was thinking more sending the gas to Germany. Though I guess Germany could use Frances infrastructure already. Start sending the gas east rather then west. At least eventually. 

Zoupa

Considering Germany's pretty terrible recent and not so recent policy towards Russia from the past 3 chancellors and considering Germany's not so recent history in Ukraine, on could have assumed that Scholz's government would have acted incredibly swiftly in terms of financial and military support. This did not happen, and is still not happening. Everything moves at a snail's pace. Why are Guepards (2 of them...) only showing up now, 5 months into the conflict? They are by definition a defensive weapon.

Germany is the EU's biggest economy, yet maligned Poland has sent quantities more armaments, and from day 1.

It's all well and good to make nice speeches, but the urgency of the response is what's important.

Tamas

Yeah it's hard to avoid thinking German leaders were hoping a swift Russian victory puts this embarrassment quickly to rest. I don't think they were going to do anything if it wasn't for the public outcry.