News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The EU thread

Started by Tamas, April 16, 2021, 08:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: Threviel on May 23, 2022, 08:56:09 AMYeah, but the 2004 enlargement was problematic. Perhaps more time should have been spent fighting corruption and establishing stable rule of law and democracy in a few of those countries, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria in particular.

Lesson learned, let's not forget that Ukraine is extremely corrupt, far more than what the 2004 group were.

Romania and Bulgaria didn't join in 2004. Overall I think the 2004 expansion was a net positive development for the EU.

celedhring

Quote from: Maladict on May 23, 2022, 11:30:50 AM
Quote from: Threviel on May 23, 2022, 08:56:09 AMYeah, but the 2004 enlargement was problematic. Perhaps more time should have been spent fighting corruption and establishing stable rule of law and democracy in a few of those countries, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria in particular.

Lesson learned, let's not forget that Ukraine is extremely corrupt, far more than what the 2004 group were.

Romania and Bulgaria didn't join in 2004. Overall I think the 2004 expansion was a net positive development for the EU.

Absolutely, and overall I think the eastward expansion had to be done, even if some nations do still have issues. We are now seeing what happens to unaligned nations that have the misfortune of bordering Russia.

Josquius

Romania and Bulgaria shouldn't have joined when they did. Even looking at it from the POV of the time I would say it was too soon. In hindsight with 2008 just around the corner- ouch.

The 2004 expansion was broadly positive however, sans 2007 I do think complaints about this could have been kept to the nutters. Though could have used some rules about dropping below the standards then you're out...sigh.
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

Quote from: Maladict on May 23, 2022, 11:30:50 AM

Ahh, my memory let me down. I agree, 2004 and also Romania and Bulgaria, but to a lesser extent, was a net positive. Ukraine is in an order of magnitudes worse state than Romania or Bulgaria was. 

Hungary has been a failure and is a huge problem, but otherwise its going quite well. But even Poland and Slovakia (or Slovenia, one of the slo's) has democratic issues, it's not certain that that is going to end well.

So the jury is still out on 2004 and 2007, it might still go to shit.

Sheilbh

Looks like Orban's earning his keep. No discussion of stopping using Russian oil at the next council - I suspect we're probably at the peak of European sanctions until someone can find a way around Hungary <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Still don't understand how the EU was created without a way to expel members.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Really interesting thread by Italian professor of politics - if this is broadly right and holds up I think that means Italy doesn't really have any mainstream social democratic party left which does seem to create an space for an opportunist :hmm:

No doubt we'll now see the re-invention of Renzi as a Bella Ciao singing, always committed leftist :lol:
QuoteDaniele Albertazzi
@DrAlbertazziUK
.@EnricoLetta must be commended for having done more to define the identity of the PD in a few months than all of his predessors put together. In short, the debate about whether the PD is a Social-Democratic party is now truly behind us.
With an eye to liberals abroad (the Italian centre-left MUST find inspiration elsewhere) we could say that the party now resembles the UK's Lib-Dems, & is happy to try and please constituencies that are already lending it their vote.
100% pro-US & pro-EU, theoretically in favour of gender equality (more work to be done in practice, of course), coherent on individual rights. It does not - & will not - try to "think big" on issues that it has contributed to create throughout the years: precarity, "flexibility"
... the erosion of rights in the workplace. It will not position itself as a socio-democratic party because it isn't one.

In time, people will digest this & get used to it. But them - at least - they will be able to pass judgement & decide whether they like this or not.
Given that Conte's M5S has also (strangely) dropped whatever left wing features it may have had for a while, & wants to occupy same space as PD (and others), this creates an opportunity for a party on the left of the PD (don't call it "radical left", please, unless it is such...)
Of course this has been tried before, & egos, rivalries & the sheer fun of engaging in civil war have always prevailed. I am not predicting this time it will be different. I am only saying that, in my view, Letta has helped clarify the situation.
It is now apparent that, with more economic hardship, squeezing of pensions & climate-induced inequalities on the horizon, the opportunity is definetely there.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Whatever passes for mainstream left in Italian politics has been getting so steadily filled with former DC peeps (Letta being one of them) that something like that was bound to happen sooner or later.

The Larch

Croatia to join the Euro next year.

Tonitrus

Quote from: HVC on May 24, 2022, 11:17:52 AMStill don't understand how the EU was created without a way to expel members.

I'll bite, and suggest exuberant optimism.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on June 01, 2022, 01:56:22 PMCroatia to join the Euro next year.
Noted by Luka Ivan Jukic on Twitter - Croatia's now been promoted from a Balkan country :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

It's like being accepted into civilization, or welcomed into polite society.  :lol:

Jacob

Denmark votes to get rid of it's exemption on EU defence by 66.9% for vs 33.1% against, with a 65.8% participation rate.

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on May 24, 2022, 11:17:52 AMStill don't understand how the EU was created without a way to expel members.

In the early days having Eastern Bloc countries as members was unrealistic.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Inflation is higher in countries where people have to spend more on basic food expenditures anyway.