And we're back!

Main Menu

Property prices thread

Started by Tamas, April 06, 2021, 10:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 07, 2021, 11:02:07 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 07, 2021, 10:56:16 AM
AFAIK over here nursing has always required a degree, albeit a shorter one than doctors (3 vs 6 years), and we've never had a shortage of nurses (hell, we even used to export a few hundreds every year to the UK  :P). How much practical stuff is done during those years I don't know.
I was really surprised and a student nurse I was speaking to was in her first term. I think they were basically straight into placements doing the rounds, taking everyone's vitals every couple of hours.

Maybe it was because of Covid? IIRC over here they also took students quicker into hospitals as part of the emergency protocols and to cover for veterans that caught the virus.

In normal circumstances I'm not sure when a nursing student would first get into a "real" hospital placement, but I doubt it'd take place in the first year.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on April 07, 2021, 11:08:38 AM
Maybe it was because of Covid? IIRC over here they also took students quicker into hospitals as part of the emergency protocols and to cover for veterans that caught the virus.

In normal circumstances I'm not sure when a nursing student would first get into a "real" hospital placement, but I doubt it'd take place in the first year.
This was pre-covid when it was just some alarming disease in China. But it would have been second not first term.

Just looking at a nursing degree prospectus on a website (different university) and it looks a little more academic/book-learning. But in the first year they do 16 weeks in three placements, second year is 24 weeks in four placements and the third year is three placements including the final placement which lasts 12 weeks. It looks like there's a course on "preparation for practice" in advance of each placement - and they are normally in different departments/hospitals around London.

I imagine my ward was an early one for most student nurses because it was generally adults who were recovering from an accident or some surgery etc but not super intensive care or A&E so probably a good introduction :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Just do what I did and go into a demoralizingly huge amount of debt.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2021, 12:59:46 PM

I think the point is that even that avenue is now closing to people younger than you.

Sheilbh

Oh we've already got that - loads of debt, 95% LTV etc.

Edit: And of course intergenerational inequality feeds into intragenerational inequality - from the IFS yesterday:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

On this topic I bought this house fully planning to extend. There's a crap one story garage and most of the street has added another floor on top of that.
Had a brick layer take a look today and he reckons it'd be 50k to do that. Way above what I expected. :bleeding:
Looks like I'll be going with a much smaller extension for the forseeable and chances of buying something else in 5 years or so even if I stay around here have went up. 
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

I am going through those mental gymnastics of financial analysis myself recently.

Do I rent for another 3-4 years, and keep my net worth as-is...

...or do I look at getting a mortgage that equals nearly 60-90% of my life's savings?

Maladict

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 27, 2021, 01:27:51 PM

I am going through those mental gymnastics of financial analysis myself recently.

Do I rent for another 3-4 years, and keep my net worth as-is...

...or do I look at getting a mortgage that equals nearly 60-90% of my life's savings?

Just get it over with. It probably won't matter all that much in the end, and at least you can stop thinking/worrying about it.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████