News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Property prices thread

Started by Tamas, April 06, 2021, 10:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

There has been a partial reinstatement of the bursary I find :

https://www.nurses.co.uk/nursing/blog/do-student-nurses-get-an-nhs-bursary-and-how-you-can-apply-for-it-in-2021/#Student

Though this doesn't compare to a wage of course.

Interesting that this entire process has gone under the radar.

Josquius

True on nurses.
Junior doctors only will suffer.
Really there needs to be a complete overhaul of the way we regard doctors and nurses. As book learning is becoming less valued a skill and people skills rise in importance, nursing becoming so hyper qualified that its almost at the level of a doctor in expertise and far more focus on the important people skills part.... yet they're paid more akin to receptionists.
More for the brexit thread here but this is a huge brewing crisis. The turnover in British educated nurses is huge, we are absolutely reliant on poor ignorant foreigners who just chase the slightly less shit salaries vs their home country.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

[Sheilbh]Damn doctors, bastards choosing a career helping people with their health. If the fuckers really wanted to help people they would be lawyers.[/sheilbh]
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 07, 2021, 07:42:24 AM
There has been a partial reinstatement of the bursary I find :

https://www.nurses.co.uk/nursing/blog/do-student-nurses-get-an-nhs-bursary-and-how-you-can-apply-for-it-in-2021/#Student

Though this doesn't compare to a wage of course.

Interesting that this entire process has gone under the radar.
And I also think they'd still need a loan to cover the fees.

I think Tyr's right - and I blame Labour for this. Nursing only started to require a degree in 2009 instead of being a diploma and I don't think it should be. Based on my purely anecdotal experience 90% of what they learn is still learned practically - it's not like doctors' training where they spend a couple of years learning the theory and practicing on a corpse before they're allowed near live humans. But I think in part that was motivated by a good desire to make sure that nurses have status as professionals, which comes from a bad social bigotry that status = degree and you work backwards from ther.

I think it's similar with policing where I think there's a move to require a degree. As much as anything else nursing, policing, teaching used to be areas where you could have a career without a degree. Now it's like if you want a career in almost anything you need a degree.

Quote[Sheilbh]Damn doctors, bastards choosing a career helping people with their health. If the fuckers really wanted to help people they would be lawyers.[/sheilbh]
I spent a week in hospital last year - and have a chronic condition. Nurses are the greatest of us. Doctors are all psychopaths and monsters. I thought everyone knew this.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

The Tories are to blame with the destruction of the polytechnics and devaluation of anything that isn't a university :p
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

I think the police may already generally require a degree; but luckily a common route to becoming a copper involves working as a community support officer which is salaried and provides relevant experience (and doesn't require a degree).

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on April 07, 2021, 08:00:12 AM
The Tories are to blame with the destruction of the polytechnics and devaluation of anything that isn't a university :p

While university is generally a waste of time, a rarely spoken truth is that human beings aged 17 to about 23 are totally useless, annoying to be around, and disruptive. University is a way of warehousing these degenerates in a way agreeable to them: little is expected from them at university and they can debauch themselves in isolation from decent society.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 07, 2021, 03:53:32 AM
Or the first pound above 500k is it's a home. From a quick look that's lower than the US, no?

My quick look says in the US it's 40% on assets above 11.7 million.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on April 07, 2021, 08:12:58 AM
While university is generally a waste of time, a rarely spoken truth is that human beings aged 17 to about 23 are totally useless, annoying to be around, and disruptive. University is a way of warehousing these degenerates in a way agreeable to them: little is expected from them at university and they can debauch themselves in isolation from decent society.

:D

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 07, 2021, 10:29:37 AM
My quick look says in the US it's 40% on assets above 11.7 million.
You're right - looked at the wrong tax :blush:

That seems like an insanely high exemption.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 07, 2021, 10:37:57 AM
You're right - looked at the wrong tax :blush:

That seems like an insanely high exemption.

350,000 quid seems crazy low.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 07, 2021, 10:40:08 AM
350,000 quid seems crazy low.
Right? :P

Only about 4% of people pay it and there's lots of ways around it.

I mean personally I support a 100% inheritance tax above a certain threshold but I realise that's not a universally popular opinion :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

AFAIK over here nursing has always required a degree, albeit a shorter one than doctors (3 vs 6 years), and we've never had a shortage of nurses (hell, we even used to export a few hundreds every year to the UK  :P). How much practical stuff is done during those years I don't know.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on April 07, 2021, 10:56:16 AM
AFAIK over here nursing has always required a degree, albeit a shorter one than doctors (3 vs 6 years), and we've never had a shortage of nurses (hell, we even used to export a few hundreds every year to the UK  :P). How much practical stuff is done during those years I don't know.
I was really surprised and a student nurse I was speaking to was in her first term. I think they were basically straight into placements doing the rounds, taking everyone's vitals every couple of hours.
Let's bomb Russia!