News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Property prices thread

Started by Tamas, April 06, 2021, 10:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on April 27, 2021, 04:16:09 PM
You guys don't like it when I say there are some weird island-dweller idiosyncrasies in this country but this is one of the examples. :P
I love it! You should do an entire thread of this - although if you come for the British plug I will go spare :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Can I go after the lame/useless electric razor outlets in the bathrooms?  :sleep:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 27, 2021, 04:33:46 PM
Can I go after the lame/useless electric razor outlets in the bathrooms?  :sleep:
Dangerously close to plug territory :P

It's just not safe to have wiring in the bathroom where there's lots of water :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

That's because you insane people do your own wiring. It's not pouring gas FFS.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 27, 2021, 04:36:10 PM

It's just not safe to have wiring in the bathroom where there's lots of water :ph34r:

Hundreds of millions of Americans will disagree.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 27, 2021, 04:45:19 PM
:lol:

My dad did the wiring in all the houses I grew up in - and the plumbing - and he is very good at both in fairness. And my brother's done all of his too. I have no skills and will pay a man - and actually had to get an electrician to fix a fuse because my fusebox is from the 80s and is not like normal/modern fuseboxes :ph34r:

Having said that I know someone who's an electrician and when he first qualified we went to a mutual friends house and the dad mentioned the small electric shocks everyone got turning the lights on and off. He thought it would be a quick freeby fix so asked him to have a look. Turned out the entire house was a death trap and needed to be completely re-wired :lol:

Edit: Also my dad's number one reason for doing the wiring in all houses: electricians don't provide enough plug sockets. And having lived in normal houses since I entirely agree - it really annoys me.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 27, 2021, 04:30:08 PM
You guys don't like it when I say there are some weird island-dweller idiosyncrasies in this country but this is one of the examples. :P
I love it! You should do an entire thread of this - although if you come for the British plug I will go spare :ph34r:

Are carpeted bathrooms off limits as well? What about the separate taps for cold and hot water?  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on April 27, 2021, 05:09:17 PM
Are carpeted bathrooms off limits as well? What about the separate taps for cold and hot water?  :P
Oh no they're fair game - though, agian, I don't think I've ever seen a carpeted bathroom. I think it's a very 70s/old person house thing :hmm:

And I am 100% with you on taps.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

My parents bathroom had a carpet for many years when I was a kid. I miss it. Though I didn't have to deal with cleaning it and drying it up when I got it wet.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 27, 2021, 04:51:49 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 27, 2021, 04:45:19 PM
:lol:

My dad did the wiring in all the houses I grew up in - and the plumbing - and he is very good at both in fairness. And my brother's done all of his too. I have no skills and will pay a man - and actually had to get an electrician to fix a fuse because my fusebox is from the 80s and is not like normal/modern fuseboxes :ph34r:

Having said that I know someone who's an electrician and when he first qualified we went to a mutual friends house and the dad mentioned the small electric shocks everyone got turning the lights on and off. He thought it would be a quick freeby fix so asked him to have a look. Turned out the entire house was a death trap and needed to be completely re-wired :lol:

Edit: Also my dad's number one reason for doing the wiring in all houses: electricians don't provide enough plug sockets. And having lived in normal houses since I entirely agree - it really annoys me.

:lol: That's way worse than what I was alluding to.

So true, never enough outlets.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 27, 2021, 04:36:10 PM

It is though when done properly. :P

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 27, 2021, 04:30:08 PM

I consider British plugs to be superior.  :bowler: Also like that the outlets have an off switch.

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on April 27, 2021, 04:24:29 PM
most cars are perfectly fine outside.

Are they, though? I mean, I would never, like, rent a garage or anything of the sort, but having a car outside in a very green area like ours here is bad. It's a constant struggle to prevent nature claiming for its own use. Storing a car in a garage is far more convenient. Not to mention not having to do any kind of basic maintenance on the bloody street.

Tamas

Anyhow, let's move all of this to off topic and leave this thread to its intended purpose of expressing my angst over eventually having to put myself into ruinous debts to buy a shithole I'd be reluctant to even rent. 

Richard Hakluyt

I still think you should explore the country more rather than confining yourself to the home counties and London. You may find you can earn just as much money in Manchester or Newcastle and the housing suddenly becomes a lot more sensible. Though it may be difficult for your wife given her speciality?