News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Property prices thread

Started by Tamas, April 06, 2021, 10:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Average UK prices fell 1.1% from December to January. Trust The Guardian though to take the edge off of such terrible news by focusing on the seasonally adjusted number and the year-on-year change:

QuoteInflation in UK house prices has slowed, new figures from the Office for National Statistics show.

UK house prices fell by 0.6% in January, the ONS says, following a 0.4% drop in December.

This pulled the average UK house price down to £290,000 in January, which was £17,000 or 6.3% higher than 12 months ago.

The housing market cooled at the end of last year, after the disastrous mini-budget drove up mortgage rates.

Zanza

With interest at 4% instead of 1%, it's still significantly more expensive to buy a place though.

Tamas

I have been following the UK housing reddit. Most of the time when somebody posts about prices going down (like yesterday a bloke mentioning the official 1.1% monthly decline data) they get furiously downvoted.  :lol:  I wonder if it is just a contingent of estate agents or they are reinforced by people who want to get out of their looming remortgage pains by sheer force of will.

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on March 25, 2023, 02:31:47 AMWith interest at 4% instead of 1%, it's still significantly more expensive to buy a place though.

I don't remember if Germans were also stupid enough to load up on short fixed-term mortgages or if its allowed there to have the interest fixed for the whole of the mortgage duration?

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on March 25, 2023, 06:50:58 AM
Quote from: Zanza on March 25, 2023, 02:31:47 AMWith interest at 4% instead of 1%, it's still significantly more expensive to buy a place though.

I don't remember if Germans were also stupid enough to load up on short fixed-term mortgages or if its allowed there to have the interest fixed for the whole of the mortgage duration?
I guess short term, variable rate mortgage also exist here. But the normal case is a fixed rate 10, 15, or 20 year mortgage. You will also typically need at least 10%-20% down payment.

viper37

Some graph for OCDE countries:
 https://i.redd.it/xqr6kz8q25qa1.png
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

It's amazing Canada has such high values.
Is this vancouver screwing up the national numbers with its insanity? Or in regular towns is it really so expensive?

From my experience in the UK this is a key stat where national numbers tend to be pretty pointless.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Vancouver and now, Toronto have been killing the numbers for many years but since 2021, every other big city has joined in on the fun.

I bought my house in 2012 for ~200k, In 2019 I could have sold it for ~350k. In 2021-22 it accelerated to at min 500k.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on March 27, 2023, 02:43:19 AMIt's amazing Canada has such high values.
Is this vancouver screwing up the national numbers with its insanity? Or in regular towns is it really so expensive?

From my experience in the UK this is a key stat where national numbers tend to be pretty pointless.
Regular towns have been catching up too.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on March 27, 2023, 10:15:07 AM
Quote from: Josquius on March 27, 2023, 02:43:19 AMIt's amazing Canada has such high values.

Regular towns have been catching up too.

Covid ramped up the house prices in the boonies as people moved out of cities thanks to remote work. Now work is trying to get people back into offices and these people are getting squeezed.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Asking prices in our area are barely budging (mostly from "ambitious in 2021" prices to "massive mortgage burden in 2023" ones), but in the meantime there's barely any  mortgages being taken in the national background, so I hope reality will start setting in soon:

Grey Fox

How high are the rates for you guys?

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 29, 2023, 08:05:38 AMHow high are the rates for you guys?

Looks like we could do around 4.2-4.3% right now at the top of what we are willing to pay.

Grey Fox

That's really good. It's really not that high for a 86% year to year drop.

5 years fixed?

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 29, 2023, 08:31:13 AMThat's really good. It's really not that high for a 86% year to year drop.

5 years fixed?

yeah its for 5 years fixed