News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Property prices thread

Started by Tamas, April 06, 2021, 10:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Well i own the family home, so don't have to worry*, but I wonder how big an issue this will become in cities with insane house prices.

*When I visit I get to say "my roof my rules" so it's worth it :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2022, 05:51:35 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2022, 05:49:28 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 02, 2022, 05:36:24 PMInteresting. Wonder how often people lose the family home because people can't refinance.

Historically homes were mortgage free at the time of death. It's really in the last 20 or so years that it has become an issue.

How is that possible? Surely historically people of all ages still died.

Yes, now think about the other side of the equation we are talking about.

Tonitrus

Quote from: HVC on July 02, 2022, 05:36:24 PMInteresting. Wonder how often people lose the family home because people can't refinance.

Property tax often plays into that as well.  After my father passed recently, mom is almost certainly going to need to sell/downsize from the family home due that expense (which is increasing by %50 from last year). 

But, at least the home was a great investment...she'll have a golden ticket for the remainder of her life afterwords.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 03, 2022, 09:41:50 AM

Historically homes were mortgage free at the time of death. It's really in the last 20 or so years that it has become an issue.

What equation? I thought we were talking about people dying before their mortgages were paid off.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 03, 2022, 01:44:12 PM

Property tax often plays into that as well.  After my father passed recently, mom is almost certainly going to need to sell/downsize from the family home due that expense (which is increasing by %50 from last year). 

But, at least the home was a great investment...she'll have a golden ticket for the remainder of her life afterwords.

Yeah, especially true in Texas as we have the highest property taxes in the US, or very nearly so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tonitrus

I, for one, think it a governmental evil that a property tax alone can force someone from their home.  :sleep:

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 03, 2022, 04:26:48 PMI, for one, think it a governmental evil that a property tax alone can force someone from their home.  :sleep:

It does. I think income taxes are far more just than the use taxes and property taxes Texas prefers which seem to disproportionately hurt the lower and middle classes.

And the propaganda is always we have low taxes...just don't research what your taxes would be in other states too closely.

Razgovory

More often than you think. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Quote from: Razgovory on July 03, 2022, 11:36:58 PM
More often than you think. :(

Right, sorry :console:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 03, 2022, 03:26:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 03, 2022, 09:41:50 AM

What equation? I thought we were talking about people dying before their mortgages were paid off.

You are focusing on people dying.  I am talking about their financial affairs at the time of death.  Yes there are going to be some small percentage who die young - but we are talking about the aggregate, and historically most people had their mortgages paid off well before the day they died.  House prices, as a percentage of income, was historically much lower.

Sheilbh

One for Tamas - and impeccably on brand by the Telegraph :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Zanza

QuoteHouse prices
UK house prices rising at 11% a year despite cost of living crisis
Average price of a home was £271,209 last month after the 12th monthly rise in a row, says Nationwide
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/aug/02/uk-house-prices-cost-of-living-crisis-price-rise

Good luck, Tamas.  :console:

Tamas

It's 0.1% month on month and mortgage applications are falling. The number of new ads coming in to my inbox under my max price setting is increasing (although still mostly crap I would hate to pay that much for).

We are getting there. :)

crazy canuck

Canadian house prices are currently declining (but not below pre-pandemic prices) but it looks like that slide will not last long.

QuoteThe latest projections from Statistics Canada show that Canada's population is poised to grow much faster over the next two decades than the federal agency forecast just three years ago, suggesting any downturn in the country's housing market is likely to be short-lived.

Indeed, the revised Statscan figures released last week underscore the need for policy makers to clear the way for more housing and infrastructure projects now to accommodate a fast-growing national population that is projected to increase by around 10 million people by 2043.