News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Property prices thread

Started by Tamas, April 06, 2021, 10:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Jacob is right about refinancing.  It's like paying off credit card debt with another card that has a lower rate, but for a mortgage.

Which is different than a 2nd mortgage, which is when you've built up some equity in your home and you borrow against that.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 13, 2022, 01:50:52 PMJacob is right about refinancing.  It's like paying off credit card debt with another card that has a lower rate, but for a mortgage.

Which is different than a 2nd mortgage, which is when you've built up some equity in your home and you borrow against that.

UK, like Canada, has short term fixed mortgage. 3-5 years. You refinance your interest rate at the end of a term but not the entire mortgage.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 13, 2022, 01:55:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 13, 2022, 01:50:52 PMJacob is right about refinancing.  It's like paying off credit card debt with another card that has a lower rate, but for a mortgage.

UK, like Canada, has short term fixed mortgage. 3-5 years. You refinance your interest rate at the end of a term but not the entire mortgage.

I remember years ago some on Languish (OvB maybe?) being astonished that in Canada we had to distinguish between the mortgage term and the amortization period.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 13, 2022, 01:55:30 PMUK, like Canada, has short term fixed mortgage. 3-5 years. You refinance your interest rate at the end of a term but not the entire mortgage.

Right.  Tamas was asking about the drop in US refinancing.

Sheilbh

Yeah - I recognise more what the Canadians are saying but still need to learn a lot.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 13, 2022, 01:55:30 PM

You can also refinance mid-term in Canada. We've done it several times. You pay a penalty, but with falling interest rates the penalty is often less than the savings you get from the lower rate.

Sheilbh

Interesting on fixed term - although you fix them ever 3-5 years rather than for the term, that is still incredibly common (from chart dump by Resolution Foundation after the latest interest rate rise by the BofE):
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 11, 2022, 05:54:46 AMIn 10 years, my house market price went up by 2.3x and they say Montreal still has a long way to go before calming down.
there are signs it is calming down now.  But of course, the city will triple your taxes long before that. :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 05, 2022, 09:33:32 AMInteresting on fixed term - although you fix them ever 3-5 years rather than for the term, that is still incredibly common (from chart dump by Resolution Foundation after the latest interest rate rise by the BofE):

10 year fixes are increasingly common. I just got one which should take me through to the end of the mortgage.

Luckily I got it just before receent rises - until I started researching, I didn't know you could re-mortgage six months in advance - getting the deal sorted out at current rates to come into play later. Saved me at least £2K a year.

Tamas

I want a full term fixed one when we get there. Especially if we do end up buying this year, just before the crash.

Gups

Quote from: Tamas on May 05, 2022, 10:10:52 AMI want a full term fixed one when we get there. Especially if we do end up buying this year, just before the crash.

Good luck. Last time I looked they were seriously uncompetitive (about 2.5% more than 5 year fixes), probably because there is such a tiny market for them here.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on May 05, 2022, 09:39:53 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 11, 2022, 05:54:46 AMIn 10 years, my house market price went up by 2.3x and they say Montreal still has a long way to go before calming down.
there are signs it is calming down now.  But of course, the city will triple your taxes long before that. :P

:lol:

I live in Laval, it was going to happen no matter what.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

I'm on a 5 year fix. There was the balance between not having interest rates go crazy so it costs more total and being able to pay it off ASAP.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

I used standard variable rate for mine back in the day; figuring that the rate would fall in hard times and rise in good (but be affordable). Stagflation did not seem likely back then.
In 2007 we bought another house for my mother-in-law to use and got a very sweet deal, the rate was the Bank of England rate + 0.9%. When the financial crisis hit the bank rate plummeted so buying that place cost us virtually nothing in interest  :cool:
That was from a Dutch bank that exited the UK market shortly afterwards  :hmm:

Tonitrus

The place I rented in the UK is back on the market, and half the rent I pay now...

Any of our resident Brits know a nice lass that take on a retired-young Yank in a couple year's time?  :P