And we're back!

Main Menu

Property prices thread

Started by Tamas, April 06, 2021, 10:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on April 28, 2021, 08:06:19 AM
:lol: Oh you urban-bubbled people.
I'm from a super horribly disconnected rural town.
This is a big part of why I want to see more investment in public transport and a decline in cars.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on April 28, 2021, 08:18:13 AM
This is a big part of why I want to see more investment in public transport and a decline in cars.

I guess we ARE moving fast toward a new neo-feudalism, ensuring peasants remain locked to their villages like in the good old days IS a worthwhile goal.

Sheilbh

I grew up in the Highlands (in an isolated manse) and suburbia :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on April 28, 2021, 08:20:00 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 28, 2021, 08:18:13 AM

I guess we ARE moving fast toward a new neo-feudalism, ensuring peasants remain locked to their villages like in the good old days IS a worthwhile goal.
You missed out the word avoiding in there.

It's really interesting if you examine the difference between those towns lucky enough to to still have rail service and those without. It's truly a key factor in whether the working class holds or falls.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on April 28, 2021, 05:08:46 AM
You know my views - our goal should be that cars are of no utility anywhere and are eventually banned
:yes:

Destroyers of planet and society they are.

Tyr, do you drive?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on April 28, 2021, 08:34:24 AM
You know my views - our goal should be that cars are of no utility anywhere and are eventually banned

Tyr, do you drive?

I try not to.
The last year and a half is the first time in 15 years or so I've had a car. Which I had to buy for my girlfriends job.
For most of that time it was just her using it. With the baby I increasingly find I am, but I'll still bike or walk when I can.
A key reason I chose to buy this house rather than something bigger in a nicer area closer to my parents or work is the metro station nearby.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on April 28, 2021, 09:05:00 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 28, 2021, 08:20:51 AM
I grew up in the Highlands (in an isolated manse) and suburbia :P
And then you fled. ;)

So many confuse the escape of the prisoner with the flight of the deserter. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on April 28, 2021, 08:47:59 AM
Quote from: mongers on April 28, 2021, 08:34:24 AM

Tyr, do you drive?

I try not to.
The last year and a half is the first time in 15 years or so I've had a car. Which I had to buy for my girlfriends job.
For most of that time it was just her using it. With the baby I increasingly find I am, but I'll still bike or walk when I can.
A key reason I chose to buy this house rather than something bigger in a nicer area closer to my parents or work is the metro station nearby.

:cool:

Tyr, good going.

For many people in the UK a car is a necessity, but as you do, the calculated use of the alternatives, when possible is the 'way ahead'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Thanks. It ain't easy up here. Really hope something changes soon. There are noises but... Very often in politically convenient directions whilst common sense stuff gets overlooked.
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 28, 2021, 09:06:09 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 28, 2021, 09:05:00 AM
And then you fled. ;)
The second I could - I'm an urban homosexual by temperament :P

But it need not be so if the UK took a leaf out of the book of other urban European countries.
It's quite amazing I find the amount of Dutch, Belgians, Swiss, etc... You meet who don't move to the big cities at the first opportunity but keep living in their home town and commuting by train... ..
Because it is possible to do this there.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on April 28, 2021, 09:56:43 AM
But it need not be so if the UK took a leaf out of the book of other urban European countries.
It's quite amazing I find the amount of Dutch, Belgians, Swiss, etc... You meet who don't move to the big cities at the first opportunity but keep living in their home town and commuting by train... ..
Because it is possible to do this there.
Yes - but most Brits live within 20 miles of where they grew up. London's distorting in graduate employment but it's like a university for a little bit longer. It's a huge cycle of young people arriving for a few years before moving out - often to where they're from

But I also think gays flock to big cities regardless :P

Personally I'm pretty rootless within the UK - I grew up in Liverpool, Scotland and Oxfordshire. I'm pretty happy/comfortable feeling at home more or less anywhere - it probably helps that, like a cactus, I'm quite low-maintenance as a person. I don't particularly feel comfortable with asserting any of those identities (and I loath the home counties) - so I'm from Liverpool and I grew up in Scotland, but I probably feel as London as anything else. One day I might move out but I'm not sure where that'd be to - just somewhere near the sea.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Don't get me wrong guys the more people stop using cars the happier I will be, as it will make it more pleasant for me to do so. :P

It's just a very urban-centric view to not be aware the massive amount of hassle a car saves you. Tyr is starting to realise, though.

Sheilbh

Sure but my entire point is we need to reduce the hassle of not using cars by increasing alternatives - and increase the hassle of using a car.

I am not baffled by the existence of cars or their purpose :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 28, 2021, 10:19:38 AM
Sure but my entire point is we need to reduce the hassle of not using cars by increasing alternatives - and increase the hassle of using a car.

I am not baffled by the existence of cars or their purpose :P

Sure, but there will always be limits to that unless you want everyone to move into ant hives. e.g. here in England the next bus stop to us is a few minutes of walk so no hassle. But going to an outpatient care to the nearest hospital would have taken me something like 1.5 hours including a change, while with a car its a 15 minutes drive. Being carless is just a miserable experience if you are not young and alone and all that can be achieved is to reduce the misery but it will never be eliminated. Not until we reach the ant hive stage, that is.