What Should the the United Daughters of the Confederacy do

Started by Jacob, April 05, 2021, 11:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on April 06, 2021, 01:32:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 06, 2021, 11:23:24 AM
I do like the pro-American anti-Traitor position of a group called "white lies matter"
isn't it contradictory?  Being pro-American means being pro-traitor, since your founding fathers were all traitors to their King and country ;)

Well...you got me there. :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

I'm really confused about this chair.

-The picture shows it with a hole already. So isn't it already broken?
-This chair seems super dumb. It was a commemorative chair that was given to davis at some point? How is it possibly worth $500k? It seems in a rather unique space of being a shit monument, a shit historical artifact, and a shit personal effect of Davis if you want to venerate Davis for some reason (since it seems unlikely he used it). It even seems like a shit chair.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on April 06, 2021, 12:29:50 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 06, 2021, 12:07:28 PM
There is still an organization calling itself the  United Daughters of the Confederacy?

Oh yes. This organization has been the standard bearer for neo-Confederate propaganda for over 100 years.

Are you under some kind of impression we have healthily dealt with that period of our history at this point? Less than 1% of Confederate monuments has come down despite the gnashing of teeth for all the statue cancelations.

No, I was not under that impression.  But I was also not aware the tip of the hat to the confederacy was so blatant.

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on April 06, 2021, 01:53:18 PM
I'm really confused about this chair.

-This chair seems super dumb. It was a commemorative chair that was given to davis at some point? How is it possibly worth $500k? It seems in a rather unique space of being a shit monument, a shit historical artifact, and a shit personal effect of Davis if you want to venerate Davis for some reason (since it seems unlikely he used it). It even seems like a shit chair.

Sounds like bullshit to me, as well.  What was a half-million-dollar chair doing sitting in a cemetery anyway?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

The theft and destruction of the chair is a tragedy, and the Daughters will weep for it (in the press). Then, way down the road (though preferably before the end of the fiscal year) they'll file the insurance claim.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 06, 2021, 01:53:47 PM
There is still an organization calling itself the  United Daughters of the Confederacy?

Oh yes. This organization has been the standard bearer for neo-Confederate propaganda for over 100 years.

Are you under some kind of impression we have healthily dealt with that period of our history at this point? Less than 1% of Confederate monuments has come down despite the gnashing of teeth for all the statue cancelations.

No, I was not under that impression.  But I was also not aware the tip of the hat to the confederacy was so blatant.

Well it was created by literal daughters of confederate veterans. They were more than just tipping their hats but staking a political movement for honoring the Confederacy. They are responsible for most of the big confederate monuments across the South.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

They were all gold diggers whoring after pension money.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on April 06, 2021, 02:58:29 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 06, 2021, 01:53:47 PM

Well it was created by literal daughters of confederate veterans. They were more than just tipping their hats but staking a political movement for honoring the Confederacy. They are responsible for most of the big confederate monuments across the South.

I would have thought that we would be talking about the daughters of the daughters of the daughters by this point.  I am not surprised it was created.  I was surprised it still exists.

alfred russel

Foundations like that with some $$$ usually don't disappear.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on April 06, 2021, 04:12:15 PM
Foundations like that with some $$$ usually don't disappear.

If one only considers the money, likely never.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 06, 2021, 03:59:25 PM
I would have thought that we would be talking about the daughters of the daughters of the daughters by this point.  I am not surprised it was created.  I was surprised it still exists.

Again I am surprised you are surprised. It is more credit than my country deserves :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on April 06, 2021, 04:38:34 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 06, 2021, 03:59:25 PM

Again I am surprised you are surprised. It is more credit than my country deserves :P

I just don't know much about the South.  When I think about the US, my experience is mainly West Coast.  I love the West Coast of the US  :wub: 

saskganesh

Quote from: Valmy on April 06, 2021, 01:40:29 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 06, 2021, 01:32:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 06, 2021, 11:23:24 AM
I do like the pro-American anti-Traitor position of a group called "white lies matter"
isn't it contradictory?  Being pro-American means being pro-traitor, since your founding fathers were all traitors to their King and country ;)

Well...you got me there. :lol:

The Treaty of Paris absolved the Americans of "past misunderstandings". Don't lose sleep.
humans were created in their own image

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on April 06, 2021, 01:53:18 PM
Photoshop.  You ever heard of it? :P
I guess they drew a hole in the chair's picture.
-This chair seems super dumb.
Duh.  Like everything related to the Confederacy.  They weren't the most thawed pogos in the box to begin with.  Generations of inbreeding hasn't made them better.
It was a commemorative chair that was given to davis at some point? How is it possibly worth $500k?
Because some idiot is willing to pay 500k$ for it?It's like these shitty paintings by a monkey or a dog, they're worth something because some idiot is willing to pay something.

It seems in a rather unique space of being a shit monument, a shit historical artifact, and a shit personal effect of Davis if you want to venerate Davis for some reason (since it seems unlikely he used it). It even seems like a shit chair.
I guess Davis had a good PR firm.  I understand how they could celebrate their history, despite the whole slavery thing (not that it was unique to the seceding States anyway).  I understand they can resist the label of "traitorous" for their military officiers and appreciate some of their military accomplishments, but frankly, Davis was an inept politician and his ineptitude likely caused the South to be defeated. 
Had the US Continental Congress acted like that in the Revolution, you'd be a British Dominion today. :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 06, 2021, 04:48:10 PM
I love the West Coast of the US  :wub: 

It's like B.C., but warmer and with more space between the water and the mountains?  :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.