Older Languishites: When did you realise the USSR/Eastern Bloc was over?

Started by Sheilbh, April 03, 2021, 11:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Too young. But this was a very interesting thread. Great idea.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Solmyr

I was a teen at the time, living in Leningrad. I remember that ideological indoctrination at our school steadily fell off during the late 1980s, as communist paraphernalia were increasingly ignored, teachers started speaking more bravely and openly, etc. Overall, the rise of Yeltsin felt like it was bringing something new, and everything culminated with the 1991 coup which made him the hero of Russia. At that point, the Soviet Union became just an abstract afterthought.

Monoriu

The 1991 coup.  There was no internet then.  One day I sorta overheard my mother's radio that something was happening in the USSR.  A few hours later I was in a car, and was as usual forced to listen to the radio.  I paid attention, and someone said something like "Gorbachev is in charge of the USSR...err...supposedly.  Not sure who is in charge now." 

I had always assumed that throughout my entire life, WWIII would loom over my head and the Soviet tanks would always be a few hours from rushing over the border.  That was the moment when I realised that the world would change. 

Josephus

The Berlin Wall for sure; and seeing all the East Berliners/Germans streaming to the west in their Trabants and not being shot. I remember watching a lot of that live on TV and thinking "Holy shit, everything is changing."
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 03, 2021, 07:55:33 PM
Too young. But this was a very interesting thread. Great idea.
he did say "older Languishites".  He meant specifically to exclude kids like you!

:P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

I had no grand foresight in this area.  I remember watching all the news of 1989, starting with the Chinese Tianamen protests, then leading into eastern Europe and the fall of the Berlin Wall.  But even then I could scarcely believe the USSR would fall 2 years later.

Or that even after the USSR fell, I then believe that the PRC would probably fall / reform soon, which is yet another prediction that has failed to come true.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

11B4V

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 03, 2021, 11:12:22 AM
Slightly prompted by talk in the China thread but also been reading a fair bit about the end of history moment - and what's striking is how sudden the end of the USSR is and how unexpected it was for most people including participants in East and West.

So I was wondering for the older Languishites who remember it, when did you realise it was all over and the USSR/Eastern Bloc was collapsing irreversibly? And before then did you even realy think it was likely that it would end?

I was stationed in West Germany at the time.

It's never over with the Russians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=bul69OK0P5k
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josephus

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 04, 2021, 01:37:54 PM
I kept the newspaper the day the wall fell. I still have it.

I have a Toronto Star front page with the headline "Gorbachev Ousted"
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on April 04, 2021, 01:48:32 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 03, 2021, 11:12:22 AM
Slightly prompted by talk in the China thread but also been reading a fair bit about the end of history moment - and what's striking is how sudden the end of the USSR is and how unexpected it was for most people including participants in East and West.

So I was wondering for the older Languishites who remember it, when did you realise it was all over and the USSR/Eastern Bloc was collapsing irreversibly? And before then did you even realy think it was likely that it would end?

I was stationed in West Germany at the time.

It's never over with the Russians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=bul69OK0P5k

Says the man who plays SSI's 'Fulda Gap 83'* once a month.

* I made up the name, don't know if it's real.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

I actually remember the Russian coup.
I was sleeping over at my friend's place and we had a plan to stay up late and watch eurotrash (purely from a boobies tee hee perspective) on the TV his parents had wisely put in his room.
All night reporting of this Russia thing sort of ruined that.

It was an odd period of history just before. I've got a kids atlas from the time which calls that part of the world the CIS and presents it as a viable thing....
██████
██████
██████

PDH

I thought it was still around just with a different name?  Man, am I out of touch...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

One vivid memory I have is watching some new report with Romanians waving their flags with holes in the middle.  I was interested in flags at that time, and that super complicated crap in the middle of the Romanian flag always annoyed me, so I was happy to see people cutting it out.  I liked simple tricolor flags.  It wasn't until much later than I understood the significance of the hole in the flag.

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, I remember a discussion with a friend about the Romanian flag; we agreed that they should keep the hole in the middle as a commemoration.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on April 05, 2021, 08:41:57 PM
One vivid memory I have is watching some new report with Romanians waving their flags with holes in the middle.  I was interested in flags at that time, and that super complicated crap in the middle of the Romanian flag always annoyed me, so I was happy to see people cutting it out.  I liked simple tricolor flags.  It wasn't until much later than I understood the significance of the hole in the flag.

When you came to America and saw a donut, did you go "whoa!"?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.