And we're back!

Main Menu

Teaching English Abroad

Started by jimmy olsen, July 21, 2009, 10:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldman

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on February 18, 2010, 08:10:05 PM
What is Times and I hope Timmy didn't eat dog! :yuk:

회 is just raw fish, like sashimi.  Dog meat isn't anything great, and its cost is rather high. The meat is far too greasy for me and really wasn't worth the price.

Tim,

I know what you mean, its not too difficult to stumble through without knowing Korean, I did it my first year and most western sojourners never learn Korean but it helps immensely in every part of your life. :)

citizen k

Hey Oldman! Haven't seen you post in ages. Spokane says hi.

Sophie Scholl

By the way Oldman, since you're here:  You get a specific mention regarding a mini-Languish Meet of Sask and I as we were discussing people and could not for the life of us remember your handle.  All I could think of was Moscow, Idaho and you being an RA.  Good to see you again.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: oldman on February 18, 2010, 08:20:48 PM
Quote from: Judas Iscariot on February 18, 2010, 08:10:05 PM
What is Times and I hope Timmy didn't eat dog! :yuk:

I know what you mean, its not too difficult to stumble through without knowing Korean, I did it my first year and most western sojourners never learn Korean but it helps immensely in every part of your life. :)

Especially with the women.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

oldman

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 18, 2010, 09:35:46 PM

oh god yes.

Its cool to be back, and see how things are. Some folks have changed their handles by the looks of it though. :huh:

katmai

Quote from: oldman on February 18, 2010, 09:49:55 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 18, 2010, 09:35:46 PM

oh god yes.

Its cool to be back, and see how things are. Some folks have changed their handles by the looks of it though. :huh:

Yeah when the old board software bit the dust some folks changed nicks.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on February 18, 2010, 09:53:43 PM

Most notably, "Siegebreaker" is now "Siege."
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: oldman on February 18, 2010, 07:32:39 PM
its 인계동, in 팔달구.

"In-gyae-dong"

Are you kids in 학원s? I've been in Seoul public schools for two years, living in 홍대 right now, but I will go back home next week. I'll be applying for the Seoul Teacher Training center in 사당 in a few months.

You're both in 경기도? Where about? I'll in in Suwon next week for the ACL match against Osaka.

What Tim said. :D
We're both at public schools. All I've heard from friends that have taught at 학원s is bad news - not paying on time, ripping them off, and one got fired, but had to stay and teach his replacement or else they wouldn't pay his last paycheck and severance.

홍대 must be an awesome place to live. Very jealous. I tend to come up to Seoul pretty regularly, since my part of Incheon has nothing of interest in or near it.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 18, 2010, 10:21:03 PM
Quote from: oldman on February 18, 2010, 07:32:39 PM
its 인계동, in 팔달구.

"In-gyae-dong"

Are you kids in 학원s? I've been in Seoul public schools for two years, living in 홍대 right now, but I will go back home next week. I'll be applying for the Seoul Teacher Training center in 사당 in a few months.

You're both in 경기도? Where about? I'll in in Suwon next week for the ACL match against Osaka.

What Tim said. :D
We're both at public schools. All I've heard from friends that have taught at 학원s is bad news - not paying on time, ripping them off, and one got fired, but had to stay and teach his replacement or else they wouldn't pay his last paycheck and severance.

홍대 must be an awesome place to live. Very jealous. I tend to come up to Seoul pretty regularly, since my part of Incheon has nothing of interest in or near it.
I'm in Suwon most weekends, but I've been coming up to Seoul more often to hang with HMB. What's 홍대, Seoul?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: katmai on February 18, 2010, 09:53:43 PM

A lot of it was because you could freely change them whenever for a while until that suddenly stopped leaving many stranded
██████
██████
██████

oldman

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 19, 2010, 12:25:04 AM

I'm in Suwon most weekends, but I've been coming up to Seoul more often to hang with HMB. What's 홍대, Seoul?

Hongdae is the area in and around Hongik University, right next to Sinchon. In the general area there are about four major universities, so the area is a bunch of young people and nice coffee shops and the like. I'm north of the river, kinda nearby the World Cup Stadium.

Some hagwons are ok (some are great) but it really is a case by case situation. I heard Pagoda is good, but the instructors have no role in creation of material or freedom in teaching. I saw earlier the article about robots replacing English teachers, in the hagwons I can believe it as often they are more tape recorders or baby sitters for children than actual teachers.  That can be nice, you can just show up and follow your script and go home, but I don't think I can handle that

jimmy olsen

Quote from: oldman on February 19, 2010, 05:59:05 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 19, 2010, 12:25:04 AM

Hongdae is the area in and around Hongik University, right next to Sinchon. In the general area there are about four major universities, so the area is a bunch of young people and nice coffee shops and the like. I'm north of the river, kinda nearby the World Cup Stadium.
I know where that is, we go party in Hongdae whenever we're in Seoul.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Anyone been to the You and I Center near Byeongjeom station on line 1?

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Staff turnover is crazy here. I just came back from the going away party and like 1/4th of the staff is transferring and that's totally normal.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Camerus

100% of the staff (including admin) is leaving my school at the end of June.   :lol: