News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[PBEM] Brotherhood & Unity

Started by bogh, March 16, 2021, 07:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Yeah, I was going to double-check that when I got home. Double-bombing seems...bad.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

bogh

It really is brutal, but the designer confirmed it on BGG (I think the rules as written suggest it, but aren't 100% clear).

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2501555/nato-bombing-question-again

It even sounds like you get bombed on your own turn too...

bogh

Quote from: Habbaku on March 23, 2021, 03:02:06 PM

This is pretty clearly a silly error on my part. There are two spaces that lead to the "1" area in Sarajevo, but only one elsewhere. I figured by moving the brigades north that they'd lock the supply line open, but now it seems like I'll have very little chance of actually getting them back in supply.

I consider this a learning game - we're still figuring this thing out (just knowing what cards are out there would make a big difference). Unsurprisingly the Serbs suffer more from it, as they need to be proactive and drive the game in the early turns, instead of reacting and stalling.

Habbaku

Yeah, and another error is clearly being a bit...aggressive in taking as many spaces as I have early on. Knowing the media card is floating around out there means I should be a touch more cautious, I think? But that's the balance, obviously.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

bogh

Definitely a lesson learned - unless you've seen media coverage played, taking more than one or two Bosniak spaces is probably a no go - especially if your FA is below zero already. Continuously managing the FA is probably another take away - NATO bombardment is very, very bad.

Conversely I was surprised by how easily I could replace lost troops. Your initial onslaught was easily replaced, so it's more about board position than attrition. I think.

Habbaku

The Serbian diplomatic corps gets a move on after all these pesky shells fall on the army's heads. Perhaps if the western powers let up a bit, we might yet regain some glory...

Diplomacy

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Croats start to entrench at their exposed position at the northern tip of Bosnia, while they resume their attack Mrkonjic Grad. Habs to resolve, no CC.

bogh

Bosniaks complete the entrenchments in Srebrenica and Gorazde, digging in to make Serbian attacks much harder. The brigade in Jablanice moved north to Prozor to help contain any Croat ambitions on central Bosnia.

End of round 4. Bosniaks have no more cards to play, Croat hold one and Serbs will play three more. Hopefully the Bosniak entrenchments and positions will carry them through the next few Serbian card plays.

Tamas

BTW the Serbs at Glamoc are OOS I think.

Habbaku

Apologies for delay; should be on track again today.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Serbian units go on the march again, this time to push the Bosniaks out of a vital line in Zavidovici. Elsewhere, link-ups with Sarajevo were made to resupply the beleaguered besiegers.

Over to Tamas for his last play.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

bogh

Well done. I somehow missed the fact that you could still move out from Sarajevo with units supplied from the key space and link it up. I could have blocked you off from Gorazde. That probably makes it 1-1 on the major rookie mistakes score. Good for the game to not have Sarajevo fall early by mistake though.

Tamas

Croats spend their last round entrenching their precarious hold of the northern tip, and also start digging in to protect the gains of their last offensive.

bogh

Tamas - sounds like you did nothing I need to respond to (retreats etc)? As I am out cards, the turn passes to Habs.

Tamas

Sorry, didn't realise you were out of cards.