News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[PBEM] Brotherhood & Unity

Started by bogh, March 16, 2021, 07:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogh

Overview
Thread dedicated to the PBEM game of Brotherhood & Unity with Tamas (Croats), Habbaku (Serbs) and Bogh (Bosniaks).

What's this game?
Brotherhood & Unity is a 2-3 player card driven wargame which depicts the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina from 1992-1995 ("Bosnian War"). The game shows all of the major events: from the siege of Sarajevo (shown in separate, detailed map), to the ferocious battles for the Posavina corridore, and desperate defence of the Bosniak enclaves. Main features are: Point-To-Point movement system, play driven by Strategy Cards, quick combat resolution (no CRT), streamlined rules and fast gameplay. Interaction between warring sides (Bosniaks, Serbs and Croats) creates an intensive and exciting gameplay experience.
BGG entry
Rules

Initial game state

Edit: Updated to stop ridicule.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

I should have the rules finished tonight. Managed to breeze through the first half last night. Difficult, they ain't.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

bogh

Quote from: Habbaku on March 16, 2021, 01:05:48 PM
I should have the rules finished tonight. Managed to breeze through the first half last night. Difficult, they ain't.

Nope, it's very streamlined.

Tamas

bogh

Ditto. Serbs start on turn 1, so Habs should probably just go ahead and place his reinforcements (all ten of 'em) once he's ready. Then it's off to Tamas for his.

Habbaku

Are we doing a shared folder somewhere?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

I wonder why it is limited to only Bosnia - perhaps so they did not have to build in a naval component to the game?

Valmy

Glad to see Tamas has not forgotten the ancient union between Hungary and Croatia.

So...which units are which? The Bosniaks are green I take it? Serbs Gold and Croats blue?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

bogh

Quote from: Habbaku on March 16, 2021, 06:34:27 PM
Are we doing a shared folder somewhere?

I've sent you a PM inviting you to an Airtable instance I setup for it. Let me know if that works for you or if we need to scrounge up an alternative solution.

bogh

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 16, 2021, 07:08:39 PM
I wonder why it is limited to only Bosnia - perhaps so they did not have to build in a naval component to the game?

Bosnia was a relatively self-contained theater. Serb and Croat national forces are present in the game as "foreign units" (as are the "Afghanistan Veterans" who fought for the Bosniaks) and I imagine some stuff will pop up in the event cards, but the Croatian-Serbian was already at a cease fire by the time Bosnia heated up and Kosovo and FYROM were much later. Representing the different sides in a wider scenario would also be harder, since there were more diverse interests and dissent within each group. So I think it makes sense from both a historical and a game perspective to focus on Bosnia.

Tamas

Just looking at the map is interesting and kinda' creepy. Like I'd always hear about Mostar in the news, never bothered to check though that apparently the Croatians and Bosniaks were facing off on the two sides of it.

Also had a brief look at the different decks, you can note the differences like how the Serbs have all kind of arty/tank support combat cards. This should be interesting.

bogh

Mostar is really pretty (if you can look past the bullet holes). Set along the steep river banks, very lush and picturesque. Apparently lots of propaganda blamed the Serbs for the destruction of the old bridge - even though this was one atrocity they were nowhere near.

Habbaku

Serbs have drawn their earth-shattering hand of seven cards (2 more than their inferiors) and set up their massive kill-stacks to take back what is rightfully theirs (and that's probably the last time I'll post something like this while playing the bad guys).

Over to our Croatian, er, brethren.

-J. R. R. Tolkien