COVID vaccinations! Have you gotten yours?

Started by merithyn, March 08, 2021, 02:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you gotten a COVID vaccine?

ROTW: Yes!
17 (39.5%)
ROTW: Not yet
1 (2.3%)
ROTW: Not destroying my godlike temple of a body with that bullshit
0 (0%)
US/Canada: Yes!
24 (55.8%)
US/Canada: Not yet
0 (0%)
US/Canada: Get that poison out of here, you commie bastard
0 (0%)
I am Jaron, and I am immune to your puny pandemics
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 01, 2021, 03:45:31 AM
I'm fairly relaxed - get blood tests every month or so. So I've become pretty used to needles and blood etc.

Monthly blood tests? What for, may I ask?

crazy canuck

Wild guess, making sure they are not infected with the other pandemic the world suffered through.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on June 01, 2021, 07:54:52 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 01, 2021, 03:45:31 AM
I'm fairly relaxed - get blood tests every month or so. So I've become pretty used to needles and blood etc.

Monthly blood tests? What for, may I ask?
I have a type of arthritis - which is entirely under control: pain-free, no impact on my life etc. But that's because I take medication that can go badly so they need to monitor my bloods. But I've been taking it for the best part of a decade with no issue.

Edit:
Wild guess, making sure they are not infected with the other pandemic the world suffered through.
Yeah I get tested for that as well :lol: But not monthly and that's just a pin-prick test.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Never had any trouble with needles at all. Hope to get my first shot this June, too.

Syt

The goal in Austria was to offer a first shot to everyone who wants one by end of June. This will not be kept. This has been revised to July (for now). Part of it, besides the usual delay of vaccine deliveries, is that more people are willing to get vaccinated than half a year ago (shocker!).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Alberta announced a timeline for second shots!  Apparently I can book it as of June 14.  As for when I can receive it, I'm expecting some time in July.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Quote from: Zanza on May 27, 2021, 02:56:11 PM
My partner has her AZ appointment set now in two weeks as the other vaccines are still in short supply here and it does not look like non-priority patients get an mRNA vaccine here in the next weeks as all the second doses have to be administered and then children will likely get priority for mRNA vaccines...
She now got an appointment two days later with BioNTech. I guess that's a no brainer as the second dose is then much earlier too.

Syt

Colleague got her second shot today (she has thyroid issues). It seems there's only two persons in our office (of 20 people) who don't have any appointments yet (due to being young and healthy).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJanyQpf4kQ

West Virginia is raffling off five shot guns and five rifles to people who get vaccinated.

Admiral Yi

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=how+many+vaccinated+in+iowa

Googled vaccination rate in Iowa and got this.  So I browsed a couple states. 

Based on the ones I looked at, blue states are around 60% vaccinated and red states are around 40%.

Sheilbh

Yeah I don't think the US has good enough numbers to get to herd immunity. And some communities will have very little protection until they get infected.

Obviously I'd suggest outreach but I feel like Republican community leaders aren't really that willing to be helpful.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

And even in blue states with decent overall numbers you'll still have pockets of utter idiots that have made resisting these kind of measures part of their identity. Just yesterday I read about the situation in some parts of Northern California that seem to be heavily populated by mouth breathing retards.

QuoteRural northern California is seeing a troubling rise in Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations, an alarming trend that comes as residents and businesses continue to protest against safety measures and vaccinations – with one Mendocino cafe threatening to charge customers $5 for wearing a mask.

While the region makes up a small proportion of the state's population, the growth in its caseload has been considerable, and comes at a time when the state overall is enjoying some of the lowest rates of Covid in the country. After largely avoiding the worst of the pandemic, a block of far northern California counties now leads the state with nearly 40 cases per 100,000 residents over the past week, according to statistics maintained by the Los Angeles Times. Tehama county ranked the highest in the LA Times case ratings with 139 cases per 100,000 residents. Meanwhile 10 of the 21 total Covid deaths in nearby Siskiyou county have occurred since the beginning of May.

The region has long been one of the most forceful in its pushback against measures such as masks, business restrictions and vaccine mandates – and the protests have only continued to gain steam. A cafe in the town of Mendocino made headlines after announcing it will charge customers a $5 fee if they order while wearing a mask. It also threatened to charge $5 to anyone "caught bragging about your vaccine".

"It's about time the proponents of these ineffective government measures start paying for the collateral damage they have collectively caused," the cafe owner Chris Castleman told NBC News. He also offered a 50% discount to customers who threw their masks in the trash.

George Rutherford, a professor of epidemiology at the University of California, San Francisco, said the current situation feels inevitable. "I was waiting for this to happen," he said, adding that the outbreaks mirror trends occurring in southern and eastern Oregon, just north of California's border. "It shows you where vaccination is lagging and transmission is taking place."
(...)
The region has been a hotbed of protest against the closures and restrictions implemented by the state's governor, Gavin Newsom, which were some of the earliest and most stringent in the US. The backlash has had political consequences – currently three supervisors in Shasta county are being threatened with recalls for supporting Covid safety measures, and the county's meetings are regularly mobbed with protesters calling for an end to business restrictions and mask-wearing.

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on June 03, 2021, 07:31:28 AM
And even in blue states with decent overall numbers you'll still have pockets of utter idiots that have made resisting these kind of measures part of their identity. Just yesterday I read about the situation in some parts of Northern California that seem to be heavily populated by mouth breathing retards.

The solution to all of this is very simple:  just pass a law that says that health insurance companies can deny coverage for Covid-related treatments to people that refuse to get vaccinated.  Hopefully, the mouth-breathers won't be able to afford treatment on their own and will thus die off, improving the gene pool.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

fromtia

The restaurant that I work in (Florida)has gone mask optional for employees who are vaccinated starting this week. I will give my employer credit for doing a fairly good job of keeping covid out of the place of work. Masks have been mandatory while in the building, temperature checks and anyone with symptoms forbidden to come to work until tested negative. Compared to a lot of places this is pretty conscientious. We have had about 6 people out with covid in 18 months out of about 80 employees.

My girlfriends place, where she works had to shut down with a covid outbreak, had to fire one guy for coming to work with covid and lying about being tested and so on, a shit show more or less. They are going mask optional for employees who bring their vaccination cards.

My place its being done on the honor system. So about a quarter of the team is fully vaccinated , and we all know who is who. A few more are getting vaccinated. There are A LOT of holdouts, a few youngsters who can't get it together, but mostly the conservative media consumers and folklorists who have opined various degrees of covid denial/anti vaxx for the last 18 months, with varying degrees of sophistry. Some of these folks are keeping their masks on while they are out front. One or two have immediately gone completely maskless, triumphantly, while remaining unvaccinated.

amazing stuff from the restaurant industry trenches.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk