News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[PBEM] Stellar Languish

Started by Tamas, February 20, 2021, 01:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Should I have drawn an exploration tile? That might have changed my decision point - I mean, what if I drew a tile that said something like "Explore a near earth asteroid!"?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

You should have drawn a mission tile. Everyone should on their first turn.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on March 01, 2021, 07:59:21 AM
Should I have drawn an exploration tile? That might have changed my decision point - I mean, what if I drew a tile that said something like "Explore a near earth asteroid!"?

Fair point, but if its any consolation, I also would have moved elsewhere if I have drawn my mission tile correctly at the very start :P

Having said that, The Moon might be a mission objective but I am pretty sure the N.E. Asteroids are not.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on March 01, 2021, 08:03:13 AM
You should have drawn a mission tile. Everyone should on their first turn.

I misunderstood and thought there was nothing to do.

Habbaku

If you have no moves/possible moves, it doesn't matter much. Just make sure to do it first thing when you actually get to a decision point as it may change your decision.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on March 01, 2021, 11:56:06 AM
If you have no moves/possible moves, it doesn't matter much. Just make sure to do it first thing when you actually get to a decision point as it may change your decision.

Will do  :)

Tamas

I fumbled around a bit as I messed up my Telescope exploration, but I corrected it and the replay is up. Russia is up to explore.

It was an.. acceptable year of North American exploration. Our orbiter around Venus produced Physics research of '2', the crewed exploration of Mars yielded the same value of Biology, AND the ship remains active, but our telescope in Earth orbit malfunctioned trying to spy out deep space stuff.

Habbaku

Should be good to do my turn tonight. Still learning as I go here.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

During Great Russia's exploration we:

*Explored Mars with the Kozlov, succeeding with just enough to get a Biology marker, but the damned Soviet-era thing malfunctioned shortly after (though earned me an Engineering chit in exchange).
*Then declined to explore or do anything with our other vessels as the negatives are too high and the penalties too risky for failure at the moment.

Next up is CC's Europeans.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Will get to it tonight.

Cyprus is still pissed that their veto over the decision to do nothing last turn was overruled.

crazy canuck

Sorry guys, had to work late, just finished.  Will make my turn tomorrow.

crazy canuck

So, the first of what is bound to be many stupid questions.  I rolled an exploration roll with my orbiter at Mercury - right clicked on hit and selected the explore option.

I was successful, and I think I get an engineering tech for that, but how do I do that?

There was also an engine failure roll, which I failed, which confused me a bit because I thought those rolls occurred when an RE moved, but I guess it also happens on all explore rolls?

Also, I am not sure how to select what I am exploring with my telescope - which is a bit of a problem, since that seems to be the thing the EU does best  :D  Any hints about how to do that would be greatly appreciated.

Tamas

There's a "chits" window where you'll find the stacks of the 3 tech chits. Engineering is grey. Just drag and drop the top of that stack (it's going to be randomised to your player card (there's an "open/shut player cards" button, the light blue one among the blacks)

If you draw a chit of 3 or higher, don't forget you achieve a "depletion".

The malfunction roll was supposed to be called "RE malfunction" it's different to engine failure (much higher by default). If you failed it, right-click your Robotic Explorer and select "send to card" then draw an engineering chit (learning from the screwup) for your troubles.

The thing with telescopes is that they add just half the exploration value of the world you are exploring, so that's why for example I went with Outer Space because that's a 9 so it gave me a 4. Also important, is that you cannot achieve your Mission with them (if you haven't drawn your Mission chit, it's also in the Chits window).

The Vassal module already rolls 2 dice for European telescopes, which is neat. You just apply the better (lower) result of the two.

crazy canuck

Thanks, very helpful explanations :)

My bad it does se RE Malfunction - I wrong assumed that meant engine malfunction.

three engineering chits taken, one for the successful exploration of Mercury by my orbiter, one for the malfunction caused by an engineer spilling their celebratory wine over the control board, one for the telescopes success - glad I got the second roll because the first would have been a failure.

No chit 3 or more so no depletions

Da Vinci miserably failed its exploration roll  I just realized I should probably be logging what I am exploring in advance of the roll  :blush:

Probe orbiting Saturn successfully, explored Dione - drew an engineering 3 chit tech.  I couldn't find the depletion chits so I used a damage 1 to show the depletion, please fix that  :blush:

I think I get a life check, which failed; that was not a mission so that isn't completed; and I removed the probe, because I think those are one shot uses?

politics and world card drawn

I think that is it, now I will figure out how to upload the saved file.

Habbaku

I uploaded it for you until then.

-J. R. R. Tolkien