News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[PBEM] Stellar Languish

Started by Tamas, February 20, 2021, 01:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

You guys should definitely research those reusable rockets quickly. And other stuff as well. Research is super important!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

First move (mine) is up on Onedrive!

In theory, if you have already opened the Stellar Horizon module at least one in Vassal, you just need to double-click on the file, and click the play button to see my stellar replay.

If you are new to Vassal, you need to click "Begin logfile" in the File menu before you do your move.

Next up is Grumbler.

I recommend we use the forum to let each other know when a new turn is uploaded.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2021, 02:26:08 PM
First move (mine) is up on Onedrive!

This seems the least ideal way of doing things. Do you mind describing your turn in detail, or at least a bulleted summary?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Fair enough. :P

I have drawn the common mission and my own - make sure you do yours when you do your first move.

Did the initial part of the movement phase where all in-transit "ships" move.

Then landed my Crewed Vehicle Orion on Mars without blowing it up.

Tamas

Ok, had a more detailed looked at the pieces in play at the start and this is going to be a FAR quicker movement phase than I thought.

Although Grumbler is up in the Move phase as South America, he actually has nothing to move - it confused me that the module had the S. American Rover Humbolt placed on orbit of Mars, but that is actually not what the setup says (it's on the planet not orbit) and there's absolutely no point whatsoever parking a Rover in orbit.

So, after S. America comes Celed as Japan, but once again, nothing to move just yet.

Than comes Wag as Asia.  He does have a Crewed Vehicle, the Prayaas, in Earth orbit. However, having a glance at the tech tree, Asia doesn't even have the Orbital Rendezvous tech, meaning they can't go anywhere else! Landing on Earth would be a terrible move, as being in orbit they can Explore in earth orbit (Biology is nice).  In fact, the CV has a Lab icon on it meaning they can roll two exploration rolls and get the better result. It's a good ship. But there's nowhere to move for them.

So the next player after me with an actual movement decision is Berkut as China - the Chinese have CV Shenzou in Lunar orbit. There is no reason to land - the ship has no cargo capacity, and China don't have the Space Mining tech anywaays - but Berkut has the option to either stay there and Explore the Moon in the next phase, or move over to Earth or Near Earth Asteroids orbit to research there.

Once Berkut is done, Europe (CC) has nothing to move, then it comes to Habbaku as Russia. Although the Vassal module is hiding this on his player sheet, he has a CV the Kliper with a rocket to launch it, on Earth.

Now, Habs faces an interesting decision straight away: the CV has a cargo capacity of 2. If you check the Earth tile, you can see the base cost icon showing a 2 - so he can use the CV to carry 2 Supply resources (you can just spend money and convert 1:1 to any resources or vice versa on Earth) up to Earth orbit and at the end of this turn (in the base building phase) put down an orbital base to be expanded later. Or he can just launch and go to the Near Earth Asteroids or the Moon for exploration.

grumbler

If my rover is on Mars, I don't need to roll for anything in the movement phase (no failure rolls), correct?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Do I need to make a roll to see if the EU can successfully do nothing.  :D

Habbaku

Did you run the request to do nothing through the committee first?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on February 26, 2021, 10:17:47 AM
Did you run the request to do nothing through the committee first?

Cyprus vetoed it.

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2021, 10:03:24 AM
If my rover is on Mars, I don't need to roll for anything in the movement phase (no failure rolls), correct?

Correct. You never roll for failure if you just stay put.

Berkut

Seems like someone went to the trouble to send my fleet carrier to the moon, so I see no reason to leave before exploring it...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Alright, CC's Europe has nothing to move, so Habbaku's Russia is up.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on February 26, 2021, 08:48:39 AM
Now, Habs faces an interesting decision straight away: the CV has a cargo capacity of 2. If you check the Earth tile, you can see the base cost icon showing a 2 - so he can use the CV to carry 2 Supply resources (you can just spend money and convert 1:1 to any resources or vice versa on Earth) up to Earth orbit and at the end of this turn (in the base building phase) put down an orbital base to be expanded later. Or he can just launch and go to the Near Earth Asteroids or the Moon for exploration.

I ended up choosing the latter. Russia can into space, but Poland is left behind in the dust as usual. Successfully launched (then destroyed) the LV and plopped the Kliper into orbit with 2 supplies.

File up, and I drew a mission for myself as well.

I don't see anyone else's files aside from the 001 that started the game though (not sure if Berkut was supposed to make one or not).

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

No there were no additional files as nobody moved anything.

We are now in the much more exciting Exploration phase though. I'll start off with my own later today.