News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How the far right are targeting teens

Started by Sheilbh, February 15, 2021, 06:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on February 15, 2021, 11:13:25 AM
To be fair, Paradox games would be quite boring if the objective were to build the best welfare state around with the highest GDP per capita.  You kind of have to conquer other nations to have an interesting game.

Paradox claim they aren't making Victoria 3.
Maybe they could give Attlee a crack?
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on February 15, 2021, 11:13:25 AM
To be fair, Paradox games would be quite boring if the objective were to build the best welfare state around with the highest GDP per capita.  You kind of have to conquer other nations to have an interesting game.

Meh, my most enjoyable EU games are ones where I set out to do just that  :D

The Brain

So what's the solution to the far right targeting children?

To which extent are mainstream parties targeting children today?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: The Brain on February 15, 2021, 11:23:44 AM

and what about the far left? 

crazy canuck

So, this is going to sound incredibly cliche, but communication.

Personal anecdote incoming.   My boys and I used to go to the book store together on a regular basis.   And that got us into the habit of talking about books we are reading and what we would like to read.  A few years ago one of my boys asked if I had read Jordan Peterson's book because he had heard good things about it online.  I told him I had not read it but that I had read about it and sent him some of the criticisms of the book.  He decided there were better things to read.

The other solution is to raise kids who don't play video games.  That describes my other boy. Heresy here I know.  :D

crazy canuck

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 15, 2021, 11:34:30 AM

When the far left becomes something approaching the threat of the far right, we will talk about that.  But I don't see that occurring in the near future.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 15, 2021, 11:36:11 AM

When the far left becomes something approaching the threat of the far right, we will talk about that.  But I don't see that occurring in the near future.

you need to look better then as the far left has been always as dangerous as the far right. Same type of scum, with the same endresult after all.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 15, 2021, 11:43:55 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 15, 2021, 11:36:11 AM

you need to look better then as the far left has been always as dangerous as the far right. Same type of scum, with the same endresult after all.

What utter nonsense.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 15, 2021, 11:43:55 AM
Really? I can't think of many far-left terrorist attacks like the Christchurch, El Paso or Finsbury Park attacks.

And in the UK there is the Prevent programme (which is a bit like safeguarding) - for the first time far-right radicalisation is now the largest number of referrals they get and have been increasing annually for some time now. Previously it's been Islamist extremism and the number of referrals has been falling for several years. I don't think there's even a category for far-left extremism - but there's a small number of referrals for "other" extremism.

The other big category is "mixed, unstable or unclear ideology" which is always a pretty high proportion (I think this is basically for things like people who get a little bit too into the Joker).
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

A case could be made that far left terrorism was (much) worse than far right terrorism in the 70s.  Since then not.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2021, 12:39:10 PM
A case could be made that far left terrorism was (much) worse than far right terrorism in the 70s.  Since then not.
Although that depends on whether you're looking at a country or globally. In the UK for example, in the 70s the National Front committed a lot of violence - I'm not aware of any far-left terrorist groups here (unless you count Irish Republicanism).

I think it might have been the case in continental Europe. I'm not convinced it was the case in the US (Nixonland is excellent on the low-level regular violence against civil rights groups, for example which was far more common and fatal than the Weathermen or whatever but attracted less media attention).
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Not In Germany and France, with the likes of Rote Armee Fraktion and Action Directe the far left. Italy during the Years of Lead had both though, with Red Brigades avatars lasting longer though, Gladio notwithstanding.

If anything, namely in France, islamist terrorism has replaced far left terrorism, with far right terrorism unheard since the OAS days (1960's).

Syt

All major terror attacks in the past 20 years in Germany were either right wing (e.g. NSU killing 10 immigrants, the mass shooters of Hanau and Munich killing 11 and 10 respectively, the assassination of a local politician) or Islamist (stabbing, driving into crowds). Left wing attacks were occasional arson and one small bomb at an AfD office. While police tracks similar numbers of left wing as right wing violent crimes, the vast majority of left wing cases are resisting police at demonstrations whereas right wing violence is primarily aimed at immigrants.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 15, 2021, 12:49:33 PM
the Weathermen or whatever

The Symbionese Liberation Army!  :w00t:

I don't disagree with anything you said.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 15, 2021, 09:36:27 AM
Exactly - it is terrifying how quickly you get from a video game YouTube video to far-right videos. Similarly Jordan Peterson and the sort of "rational" community are gateway drugs on YouTube.

It's why I think social media companies have some form of obligation around this.

It is kind of weird. I will be watching what seems to me to just be some video game pop culture stuff, not political at all really, and then suddenly my suggestions are full of fucking Ben Shapiro shit. Fucking Youtube.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."