Texas GOP votes to allow a secession referendum

Started by viper37, February 07, 2021, 08:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Link
the title is a shortcut.  The proposal they voted on was to present a bill allowing a referendum on secession.  Still, it seems this is the farthest they went since 1860.
House bill 1359.

Did anyone here once entertained the thought that Republicans would stop pandering to the crazies?  I think I may have once thought that, for a few minutes. :P

So Valmy, euh... Any thoughts? :P :P

I have no doubt that any referendum on Texit would be defeated, but I wonder how the Governor is going to get out of this.  Squash out all ideas of secession? try and find a compromise? Denounce the radicals or embrace them?

No national newspapers are reporting on it, so I'm guessing this isn't treated seriously.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Its funny how republican nutters square being all about patriotism, support our troops, etc...with a love of the confederate flag. And now... This.
Does it actually have any amount of support?
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on February 07, 2021, 02:09:59 PM
Its funny how republican nutters square being all about patriotism, support our troops, etc...with a love of the confederate flag. And now... This.

This was sure to happen had Hilary won in 2016. It was one of few nice things about Trump winning, suddenly all these people were super patriots.

This movement is based on political partisanship, not Texas Nationalism (though such a thing does exist among a few extremists). Which is why it only exists whenever the Democrats win. As I have often pointed out the Texas GOP has been hijacked from the good ol boys by out of state extremists. Am I really supposed to believe some guy who moved here a few years ago from Florida really feels a great deal of emotional need for a Texas Republic?

Not to mention the fact that such a thing would be disastrous in reality.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on February 07, 2021, 02:09:59 PM

Quote from: Valmy on February 07, 2021, 03:28:04 PM
This was sure to happen had Hilary won in 2016. It was one of few nice things about Trump winning, suddenly all these people were super patriots.

This movement is based on political partisanship, not Texas Nationalism (though such a thing does exist among a few extremists). Which is why it only exists whenever the Democrats win. As I have often pointed out the Texas GOP has been hijacked from the good ol boys by out of state extremists. Am I really supposed to believe some guy who moved here a few years ago from Florida really feels a great deal of emotional need for a Texas Republic?

Not to mention the fact that such a thing would be disastrous in reality.

yeah, I read about the guy who proposed the vote having moved from Florida a few years ago.  Pleeeaaze.  Like, be serious, dude!

They are all patriots, as long as the GOP controls everything.  Otherwise, they want to secede, or create their own crazy militia to attack Federal property.

I posted it here not because I believe they are sincere about wanting a better future for Texas (some people may genuinely believe their State would be better off without the Federal government - that's up to them), but here, I'm really curious about the level of support in the local GOP, the "rank&file" members, and what will the governor do to get rid of this hot potato?  Embrace the movement, at the risk of alienating the Top Republicans in Washington who won't see this with a keen eye?  Squash it publicly and as strongly as possible?  Try to meander these trouble times?

I'm curious on your take on this, even though you're not a Republican, it's your State, I'd expect you to know more about your local crazies than I do :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2021, 08:33:55 AM
Still, it seems this is the farthest they went since 1860.

I should probably mention that this bill has not gotten anywhere at all. So if that is the farthest they have gone it is barely getting to the starting line. I will let you know if it reaches a House Committee at some point.

Our legislative sessions are very short and very action packed so there is not a lot of time to fuck around with nonsense so I doubt it does much more than just be filed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

PDH

A better story was some wingnuts in the Wyoming GOP back in 2012 looking at buying a navy...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

Quote from: PDH on February 08, 2021, 03:12:05 PM
A better story was some wingnuts in the Wyoming GOP back in 2012 looking at buying a navy...

Those bass won't fish themselves.

The Brain

Is secession constitutional with federal consent?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on February 08, 2021, 02:52:29 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2021, 08:33:55 AM
Still, it seems this is the farthest they went since 1860.

I should probably mention that this bill has not gotten anywhere at all. So if that is the farthest they have gone it is barely getting to the starting line. I will let you know if it reaches a House Committee at some point.

Our legislative sessions are very short and very action packed so there is not a lot of time to fuck around with nonsense so I doubt it does much more than just be filed.

Hope you're right, anyway regional legislatures passing independence referendum laws never leads to trouble.  :P

Valmy

I mean there is no push for this outside of political partisanship. It is not like there are crowds of secessionists parading outside of the capitol and loads of nutty bills get filed every legislative session that never get anywhere.