Marvel Cinematic Universe - The Marvels [Spoilers]

Started by garbon, January 30, 2021, 04:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I rewatched Jessica Jones S1 before it was removed from Netflix and it remains my favorite superhero TV show ever. The only "but" is that at the time Netflix was still doing those 13-episode seasons and there's some filler.

viper37

#1- Daredevil
#2- The Punisher
#3- Jessica Jones.

JJ wasn't bad, but the entire first season was dedicated to the allegory of rape, and it was a tad too much.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on April 05, 2022, 10:35:46 AMWell, of the old shows, you can skip Iron Fist and Luke Cage. The Defenders is so-so, but it has some Daredevil backstory for the last season.
Of the new shows, you can skip Marvel What If.

[mild spoilers below]

So the old Netflix shows have a complex history with the overall MCU and are of questionable "canonicity".  At least one Netflix character shows up in the MCU playing as that character, but all of them could probably be skipped.

"What if" should not be skipped.  In my opinion.  Yes it's animated, but many/most of the characters are voiced by the same actors (Iron Man and Black Widow being the noticeable exceptions).

But more than that - with MCU leaning more heavily into the Multiverse, it has been strongly hinted that at least one What If version of a character will be showing up in Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

I haven't been watching the latest marvel shows, and I guess neither is anyone else because I had to bump this thread.

But I thought this was amusing: in the background of the latest She-Hulk episode shot in a restaurant or bar, a CFL game is playing on the TV (Argos vs Alouettes).

This means - the CFL is now canon in the MCU. :D

https://twitter.com/MCTVPodcast/status/1567907345132564481
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

I've watched them all but didn't know if we had much to discuss.  :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Ms. Marvel was really cool. I didn't watch Moonknight. I'll eventually watch She-Hulk.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Darth Wagtaros

I thought Moon Knight was decent. My friend, who was a huge fan of hte comic, hated it.

PDH!

Josquius

Halfway through she hulk and really liking it. Probably the 3rd best marvel series after loki and wandavision (moon Knight in 4th. Good moments and promise but kind of fumbles fears the end)

a thought comes to mind. Wong. Why does he have an American accent? That isn't benedict wongs accent and the character I believe is meant to be from China.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 16, 2022, 07:35:58 PMThe finale of She-Hulk was pretty lame. 

I thought it was a little disappointing but then I also think it was a good criticism and pivot from the standard fare...and fit with how the show and been.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I liked the finale.
Marvel finales by and large suck. It was a nice subversion of that. Though that the head of marvel is called Kevin and wears a cap I did not know. A bit up their own arse.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

I just finished She-Hulk yesterday, and I quite enjoyed it. It helps that it's a character I've always enjoyed, and that he show has a comedic tone and low stakes. It's great being able to take a peek at the more down to earth part of the MCU, and having minor canon characters showing up, it makes the whole world richer. It's also nice not having cosmic threats behind every corner.

I also read it's been lambasted quite a lot by the usual online malcontents, I guess they don't like having a mirror put in front of them.

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on October 27, 2022, 03:51:50 AMI just finished She-Hulk yesterday, and I quite enjoyed it. It helps that it's a character I've always enjoyed, and that he show has a comedic tone and low stakes. It's great being able to take a peek at the more down to earth part of the MCU, and having minor canon characters showing up, it makes the whole world richer. It's also nice not having cosmic threats behind every corner.
:yes:
This is my big problem with the MCU/shared universe in comics and Justice League as a core concept. How the fuck does every character get to deal with their only cosmic threats and supporting world whilst the others just sit on their hands and do nothing. It was silly enough historically but with the size of the world today its just mad.
Shared universes only work when things are kept low stakes. Its totally believable that City X has street-level superhero A who on a special occasion goes to visit City Y and hooks up with superhero B.
Introducing the Xmen to the MCU will be particularly ridiculous unless its done via the multiverse.

QuoteI also read it's been lambasted quite a lot by the usual online malcontents, I guess they don't like having a mirror put in front of them.
I'd heard there was a lot of early hate, review bombing before screening, etc...
I particularly recall directly seeing absolute rage at the trailer where she upstages Hulk in the training segment despite it being pretty bloody obvious Hulk wasn't giving it his all in casually tossing a rock one handed.
But I've also read they largely shut up as it became clear the show was mocking them.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on October 27, 2022, 03:59:07 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 27, 2022, 03:51:50 AMI just finished She-Hulk yesterday, and I quite enjoyed it. It helps that it's a character I've always enjoyed, and that he show has a comedic tone and low stakes. It's great being able to take a peek at the more down to earth part of the MCU, and having minor canon characters showing up, it makes the whole world richer. It's also nice not having cosmic threats behind every corner.
:yes:
This is my big problem with the MCU/shared universe in comics and Justice League as a core concept. How the fuck does every character get to deal with their only cosmic threats and supporting world whilst the others just sit on their hands and do nothing. It was silly enough historically but with the size of the world today its just mad.
Shared universes only work when things are kept low stakes. Its totally believable that City X has street-level superhero A who on a special occasion goes to visit City Y and hooks up with superhero B.
Introducing the Xmen to the MCU will be particularly ridiculous unless its done via the multiverse.

It's the traditional superhero stakes inflation, happens to so many of them. The biggest culprit would be Spiderman, who starts basically at the lowest scale of superheroes, a kid with a home made costume that fights crime in the streets. Inevitably as time passed he ended up involved in cosmic and multi-dimensional plots, while simultaneously being prevented by the powers that be in the comic book world from truly maturing, being kept in an eternal late teens-early adulthood time loop.

QuoteI also read it's been lambasted quite a lot by the usual online malcontents, I guess they don't like having a mirror put in front of them.
I'd heard there was a lot of early hate, review bombing before screening, etc...
I particularly recall directly seeing absolute rage at the trailer where she upstages Hulk in the training segment despite it being pretty bloody obvious Hulk wasn't giving it his all in casually tossing a rock one handed.
But I've also read they largely shut up as it became clear the show was mocking them.

Those were the initial criticisms, yeah. Already when the trailer came out some were already foaming at the mouth about how She-Hulk "disrespected" Hulk. But these criticism have continued, you have tons of Youtube videos lambasting the show to the very last episode.

Also, another point I've just heard on how She-Hulk is different from the rest of the MCU. She's, it seems, one of the very few MCU character who has canonically fucked during their show/film.  :lol: :perv: Off the top of my head only Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are in that same group, but I haven't watched every show and film.