From the "Black People Arrest Themselves" files

Started by CountDeMoney, July 21, 2009, 05:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Why would anyone consider it an issue if she had said it was 2 black guys breaking in anyway? Nothing a fact about someones description doesn't make one a racist.

edit: Of course, some people apparently have MUCH finer "racism" detectors than I do, and can detect racism in many cases when I cannot. Perhaps this is one of those examples?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on July 27, 2009, 03:07:49 PM
Why would anyone consider it an issue if she had said it was 2 black guys breaking in anyway? Nothing a fact about someones description doesn't make one a racist.

edit: Of course, some people apparently have MUCH finer "racism" detectors than I do, and can detect racism in many cases when I cannot. Perhaps this is one of those examples?

You probably can't even detect the racism in this post!  :rolleyes:

;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

So wait, the end result is that the involved parties stop making a big deal about it, sit down and drink a beer together?  I think that's pretty fucking stellar.

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 26, 2009, 04:44:25 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 24, 2009, 10:01:06 PM
Did Fate revert to the other personality again, or did he just forget to log back in as Hansy before posting?
Fate is pissed at Obama for not being sufficiently homosupportive.

That came at no surprise. He's black, after all.

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 27, 2009, 09:20:05 AM
I see a well-known person in the community arrested on patently bogus charges that were immediately dropped once the grown-ups found what happened.
CXare to share where this info comes from?  Especially the bolded part.

QuoteI think I can at least place on that.
Okay, at least you concede that you have a horse in the race.  I didn;t think you came to these conclusions through analysis.

QuoteSome people here seem to think that a private person in the sanctity of his own home bears the burden of being on his best behavior when a cop barges in without permission and starts asking questions.
Maybe some people do, buyt since that is utterly irrelevant to the gates situation, this assertion is a mere red herring.

QuoteI think the burden is the law enforcement officer to act in a lawful manner.  Unfortunately that this seems to be the minority position here.
Disagree.  I don't think the officer alone bears a burden to behave lawfully.  I think the burden is on both to behave lawfully, and when one person does not, they pay the price.  The presence of a police officer does not lift from Gates the burden to act lawfully. Not even Gat6es going into a verbal tizzy does that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I thought that the charges were dropped was pretty widely known.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

As for the rest, I don't have polling data, but Gates is one of the highest profile professors in a university town.  As for the weakness of the charges, I have already covered that issue extensively. 

The audio transcript of the Crowley's scanner is pretty devastating and at this point I would put grumbler's question back to him - it is now clear that having entered a house based on supposed exigent circumstances, and having learned that those circumstances did not in fact hold, it was the officer's obligation to quit the premises.  Instead, he radioed to "keep the cars coming".  I.e the evidence shows that he made the decision to escalate the situation into an arrest before Gates ever stepped out on his porch.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 27, 2009, 07:44:50 PM
The audio transcript of the Crowley's scanner is pretty devastating

How so? 
I heard an officer unable to transmit additional information and unable to communicate to dispatch and other officers when requested repeatedly because he was dealing with a disorderly person,  who you could hear in the background whenever the sergeant keyed up his mic.  Kinda difficult to hold two conversations at once.

So, in closing, go fuck your holier-than-thou Jew self, and when you're assraped by Siege for not being authentic Kosher, don't bother calling the police.  Cophating New York heeb.

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2009, 07:57:36 PM
So, in closing, go fuck your holier-than-thou Jew self, and when you're assraped by Siege for not being authentic Kosher, don't bother calling the police.  Cophating New York heeb.
Now, you see Minsky?  Cops aren't racist.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

As for the rest, I don't have polling data, but Gates is one of the highest profile professors in a university town.  As for the weakness of the charges, I have already covered that issue extensively. 

The audio transcript of the Crowley's scanner is pretty devastating and at this point I would put grumbler's question back to him - it is now clear that having entered a house based on supposed exigent circumstances, and having learned that those circumstances did not in fact hold, it was the officer's obligation to quit the premises.  Instead, he radioed to "keep the cars coming".  I.e the evidence shows that he made the decision to escalate the situation into an arrest before Gates ever stepped out on his porch.

So his saying "keep the cars coming" is "devastating evidence" that he intended to arrest Gates regardless, because of course he is a racist?

How does that follow?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HVC

How big is that town? I mean how likely is it that the cop even knew what this guy looked like. it's not like profs have that much exposure.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

100k. It's generally hard for a tourist to know that he/she is going from Boston to Cambridge. Perhaps a Manhattan to Brooklyn sort of change (although not as distinct).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2009, 10:45:32 PM
100k. It's generally hard for a tourist to know that he/she is going from Boston to Cambridge. Perhaps a Manhattan to Brooklyn sort of change (although not as distinct).
So there's a very good chance the cop just thought this was a loud mouth disgruntled old dude?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on July 27, 2009, 07:08:55 PM
I thought that the charges were dropped was pretty widely known.
So did I. Is anyone saying that they weren't?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

The "highest profile progfessor in a university town" is not "well-known."  I grew up in a university town and could not recognize a single professor by sight until I attended the university.

QuoteThe audio transcript of the Crowley's scanner is pretty devastating and at this point I would put grumbler's question back to him - it is now clear that having entered a house based on supposed exigent circumstances, and having learned that those circumstances did not in fact hold, it was the officer's obligation to quit the premises.  Instead, he radioed to "keep the cars coming".  I.e the evidence shows that he made the decision to escalate the situation into an arrest before Gates ever stepped out on his porch.
The transcript is pretty devastating only if you have a horse in this race.  It is clear that the officer entered the house, discovered the circumstances, and left.  As far as "keep the cars coming," I think it is perfectly possible that,since the cars he had called for were from the university police, he wanted them on hand to handle this screaming jerk in the background.

I turn your point back on you:  given that Gates obviously wanted to escalate this incident until he was arrested, at what point did Gates receive enough adult supervision that he agreed that it was "time to put this behind" him?

Bayraktar!