News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What did a GWB Presidency look like?

Started by DGuller, January 26, 2021, 03:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I've been thinking recently about how incredible it is that GWB seems to be regarded quite warmly now, even among the liberals.  I'm old enough to remember what the political discourse was like in his days, and rational enough to remember it accurately, and I think the 2021 view of GWB would come as quite a shock to many people from 2004.

What do people think is the reason for this change?  Did he not get treated fairly in his time as a president, and now that it's history long past, the passions have cooled and the more fair evaluation takes root?  Has the total war that followed his presidency normalized the very real dysfunction of the Bush years?  Do people just focus on what a nice guy he seems to be, which was never in question, and not on the more divisive issues of politics?

What are the thoughts?

crazy canuck

What makes you think he is remembered warmly?

It is just that we realize now it could get worse than him.

celedhring

I'm still amazed that there has never been a real reckoning regarding the massive deception leading up to the Irak war.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 26, 2021, 03:13:49 PM
What makes you think he is remembered warmly?

It is just that we realize now it could get worse than him.
I don't know, just a feeling.  I don't see too many snide tweets when he's making those cute appearances with Michelle Obama, though to be honest I'm not looking particularly hard.

Valmy

He might be the worst US President of all time. He was handed the US in the strongest position it has ever been and ran it into the ground. I will never forgive him for what he did, never.

But the weird part is he always seemed like a good person despite doing incredibly horrendous immoral things as President. That weird charm has helped to rehabilitate himself, especially with Trump out there.

But not with me. Fuck him.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on January 26, 2021, 03:15:16 PM
I'm still amazed that there has never been a real reckoning regarding the massive deception leading up to the Irak war.

Well that is the frustrating thing. When you see these people lying and cheating and doing misdeeds you hope that eventually when their falsehoods are revealed there will be a catharsis...but nope.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

It's a combo of:
+ Trump resetting the bar way way way down
+ passions cooling over time, memory fading
+ the more time passes since the presidency, the more tendency to see the person rather than the President, which e.g. works to the benefit of Bush vis Cinton
+ Bush had an almost plausible evil advisors misleading the king narrative
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on January 26, 2021, 03:24:27 PM
He might be the worst US President of all time. He was handed the US in the strongest position it has ever been and ran it into the ground. I will never forgive him for what he did, never.

But the weird part is he always seemed like a good person despite doing incredibly horrendous immoral things as President. That weird charm has helped to rehabilitate himself, especially with Trump out there.

But not with me. Fuck him.

He certainly gave off the air of a nice, good, if somewhat simple guy, surrounded by malicious advisors.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

he does quaint paintings and is friends with Michelle. He also came out against trump.  Probably mostly time, its been 12 years.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

His current favorability ratings are for him as a person, not a president.  His presidency was the beginning of Trumpism.  As MM and Syt point out, he seemed even at the time to be a guy in over his head, listening to the wrong people.  He certainly had one of the worst administrations in history.

Kinda like US Grant.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 26, 2021, 03:31:36 PM
It's a combo of:
+ Trump resetting the bar way way way down
+ passions cooling over time, memory fading
+ the more time passes since the presidency, the more tendency to see the person rather than the President, which e.g. works to the benefit of Bush vis Cinton
+ Bush had an almost plausible evil advisors misleading the king narrative
Yeah totally agree with these.

QuoteHis current favorability ratings are for him as a person, not a president.  His presidency was the beginning of Trumpism.  As MM and Syt point out, he seemed even at the time to be a guy in over his head, listening to the wrong people.  He certainly had one of the worst administrations in history.

Kinda like US Grant.
I thought there'd been quite a bit of revisionism around Grant's administration recently?
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Seeming to be a person it would be cool to have as a neighbor helps him a lot. I still think he was a horrible, horrible president, and he really hurt the standing of the US in the eyes of the world. Many generally US-friendly people in the ROTW felt somewhat, well, "betrayed" when the US started publicly champion the systematic use of torture, and they of course had to stop supporting the US.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.