News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you eating?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2009, 11:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 18, 2023, 09:45:08 PMAny gringos have a Cheddar's where they live? 
This is the only cheddar I know of.  :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Been cooking a lot lately and wanted to shout out a few cookbooks that have helped me get into it again.

Six Seasons by Joshua MacFadden which is not vegetarian but (seasonal) veg focused. It's outstanding - one of the best cookbooks I've bought in years and one I use most weeks.

Also Tim Anderson's Japanese cookbooks - I find him quite annoying (as someone who remembers him on Masterchef) but his restaurants are decent and these two, Japaneasy and Vegan Japaneasy are actually really good. Needed to get a few more staple ingredients but so far all the recipes work.

And I'd had a couple of duds from Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Easy (probably my fault) so kind of wrote it off. But done a few recently and they worked really well. So definitely putting those duds down to me fucking up :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

Don't blame yourself. I've had some terrible results from a few of her recipes and I'm decent at Indian cooking  . I don't think she tests them properly.

Admiral Yi

Cold chicken low mein is much better than i thought it would be.

mongers

Lemon drizzle cake, cat turned her nose up at it, so not sure how I feel about it's taste/quality.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Here in Florida we can get hog jowls at the grocery store all through the year.  Strangely they've become cheaper than pork belly of late, so I made my own guanciale.  (Okay, I smoked it, so it's really jowl bacon, but you sound way more sophisticated if you call it guanciale, especially if you use italics.)  I used my go to bacon cure, that made them too salty.  Hog jowls don't have the fat content that belly does so the cure doesn't leech out as much moisture and the salt congregates on the surface.  It's still edible, but next time I'll use half the salt and just a pinch of the curing salt.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Mrs B is out of town for my oldest son's hockey game.

I made the remaining kids for lunch - the Elvis sandwich.  A fried peanut butter, banana and bacon sandwich.  Apparently the King's favourite sandwich, and one he ate all the time.

It actually really works.  It wasn't maybe the best sandwich of all time or anything, but it was quite tasty.

Now I have to figure out what to make for supper...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.