Julian Assange: Wikileaks co-founder arrested in London

Started by Syt, April 11, 2019, 04:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

He leaked hacked info obtained from Russian military intelligence
He delclined to publish a huge leak from the Russian Interior Ministry
His TV show ran on RT (Russian state media)

That's just what I recall from the top of my head
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

With Assange's appeal to US extradition taking place this week - the Guardian has been out in force about how this represents a fundamental threat to press freedom.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/feb/18/the-guardian-view-on-julian-assange-why-he-should-not-be-extradited
QuoteThe Guardian view on Julian Assange: why he should not be extradited
Sending him to be tried in the United States would be an unacceptable act against the WikiLeaks founder – and against journalism

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/feb/18/julian-assange-press-freedom-wikileaks-uk-high-court
QuoteWe have seen Assange's plight in a UK prison, but extraditing him this week would be a disaster for us all
It is vital not to forget about the man – and the repercussions for press freedom if the high court says he can be sent to the US

Coverage of the artpiece to destroy art for him hasn't been as rosy.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2024/feb/13/im-not-trying-to-destroy-art-says-man-planning-to-do-just-that-if-assange-dies-in-jail
QuoteI'm not trying to destroy art, says man planning to do just that if Assange dies in jail
Andrei Molodkin believes WikiLeaks founder will be freed, leaving $45m of precious artworks unscathed

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2024/feb/13/andrei-molodkin-julian-assange-dissolving-art-in-acid
QuoteThreatening to dissolve masterpieces in acid is a pathetically banal stunt for our shallow times
Russian artist Andrei Molodkin will destroy works by Picasso, Rembrandt and Warhol if Julian Assange dies in prison. It's an unoriginal idea born of art-historical ignorance
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Not to forget former editor, Alan Rusbridger (who almost financially ruined the Guardian), and current editor of Prospect:
https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/64791/enough-is-enoughits-time-to-set-julian-assange-free
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

I remember (or did I dream it?) when some guy wanted to be buried with a van Gogh, and there was some brouhaha. My understanding is that generally paintings like that aren't protected legally, so who cares if he destroys them?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on February 19, 2024, 12:59:13 PMI remember (or did I dream it?) when some guy wanted to be buried with a van Gogh, and there was some brouhaha. My understanding is that generally paintings like that aren't protected legally, so who cares if he destroys them?

Odd take for a history forum.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

I've been ready for this guy to stop being talked about for about 10 years.

OttoVonBismarck

Also, I have never really bought into the journalism argument. Journalists aren't allowed to help people hack into government servers, in the UK or the U.S.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 19, 2024, 04:28:39 PMAlso, I have never really bought into the journalism argument. Journalists aren't allowed to help people hack into government servers, in the UK or the U.S.

Is there a line in your mind between Assange and the NYT w/ the Pentagon Papers?

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 19, 2024, 04:44:55 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 19, 2024, 04:28:39 PMAlso, I have never really bought into the journalism argument. Journalists aren't allowed to help people hack into government servers, in the UK or the U.S.

Is there a line in your mind between Assange and the NYT w/ the Pentagon Papers?

Yeah, you don't prosecute news outlets for publishing things leaked to them as passive recipients, even if the person leaking it to them broke the law to do so. That is also AFAIK the legal consensus in America.

But if the NYT hired a computer hacker to break into DoD computers the NYT's managers who cooked up the scheme would face serious criminal charges. The indictment against Assange accuses him of providing actual technical help to Chelsea Manning to crack a password hash. You cross the line as a journalist when you help pick the lock.

The NYT didn't help Daniel Ellsberg walk the report out of the Pentagon, they simply published what he gave them.

Now, I have not taken a significant interest in Assange's tedious case (I view him as a rabble rouser and a Russian asset), so I don't know how strong the government's case is on those facts. But we do have a court system here to adjudicate things like that and an extradition treaty with Britain.

OttoVonBismarck

As far as I am aware everything Assange is charged with in the indictment is because it is alleged he helped with the actual breach of the classified data. I don't believe, given previous Supreme Court rulings, a prosecution would get very far if they were going after him simply because he passively received stuff another person stole and then published it.

Although I think some of that has never been fully litigated because cases like Ellsberg's ended up hinging on the government doing illegal things to build its case against him and his charges being dismissed for that reason.

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 19, 2024, 06:25:37 PMAlthough I think some of that has never been fully litigated because cases like Ellsberg's ended up hinging on the government doing illegal things to build its case against him and his charges being dismissed for that reason.
The NYT case was fully litigated.  Ellsberg's criminal trial is the case where the prosecution case was tossed due to the illegal activities of some people investigating it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2024, 09:15:59 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 19, 2024, 06:25:37 PMAlthough I think some of that has never been fully litigated because cases like Ellsberg's ended up hinging on the government doing illegal things to build its case against him and his charges being dismissed for that reason.
The NYT case was fully litigated.  Ellsberg's criminal trial is the case where the prosecution case was tossed due to the illegal activities of some people investigating it.

The NYT case wasn't criminal, it was around a government injunction--Ellsberg's case is more comparable to Assange's because it was an Espionage Act case, which the NYT was an entity was never prosecuted under the Espionage Act. I also specifically said it was Ellsberg's case that had not been fully litigated, since it was not carried to a judgment due to the government's illegal evidence collection in his case.