News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hammerin’ Hank R.I.P

Started by katmai, January 22, 2021, 11:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

QuoteHenry Louis "Hank" Aaron, the Hall of Fame slugger whose 755 career home runs long stood as baseball's golden mark, has died. He was 86.

One of the sport's great stars despite playing for the small-market Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves throughout a major league career that spanned from 1954 to 1976, Aaron still holds major league records for RBIs (2,297), total bases (6,856) and extra-base hits (1,477), and he ranks among MLB's best in hits (3,771, third all time), games played (3,298, third) and runs scored (2,174, fourth).

But it was Hammerin' Hank's sweet home run swing for which he was best known.

A 6-foot-0, 180-pounder, Aaron broke Babe Ruth's hallowed home run mark less than a week into the 1974 season, slugging his record 715th off Los Angeles Dodgers left-hander Al Downing in the fourth inning as 50,000-plus fans celebrated in Atlanta. One of baseball's iconic moments, Aaron trotted around the basepaths -- despite briefly being interrupted by two fans, including a young Craig Sager -- and ultimately touched home plate, where teammates hoisted him and his parents embraced him.

Aaron went on to play two more seasons and finished with 755 career home runs, a mark that stood as the major league record until Barry Bonds broke it in 2007.

Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth's career home run record when he slugged his 715th against the Dodgers early in the 1974 season. He finished with 755, a mark that stood as the most in baseball until Barry Bonds broke it in 2007. AP Photo
Aaron finished his career with a host of accolades. He was the National League MVP in 1957, a two-time NL batting champion (1956, '59), a three-time Gold Glove winner in right field (1958-60) and a record 25-time All-Star.

He was enshrined in the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1982, receiving 97.8% approval in his first year on the ballot. In 1999, MLB created the Hank Aaron Award, given annually to the best hitter in both the AL and NL.

Off the field, Aaron was an activist for civil rights, himself being a victim of racial inequalities. Aaron was born in Mobile, Alabama, and didn't play organized high school baseball because only white students had teams. During the buildup to his passing of Ruth's home run mark, threats were made on his life by people who did not want to see a Black man break the record.

After he retired, Aaron joined the Braves as an executive and hoped more Black players could find that type of work after their playing days were finished.

"On the field, Blacks have been able to be super giants," he once said. "But once our playing days are over, this is the end of it and we go back to the back of the bus again."

Aaron was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2002.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

PDH

RIP, I was 8 when he hit 715 - I remember it being big news (at least to me and my family).
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

RIP.  :(

Childhood hero back when I was into baseball. I'm glad he didn't turn out to be a giant douche.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

:(  RIP.  Class act all the way.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?