Has the Trump presidency changed you, politically?

Started by Oexmelin, January 10, 2021, 01:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

I asked the question before. I am asking again, as we near the end of the Trump presidency.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

I went from considering republican candidates to refusing to consider them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

It's made me more conservative. I care far more about character and personal peccadilloes than I did five years ago.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

My opinion doesn't matter as I'm a European, but no it hasn't.

Though I will say the Trump party seems to have force quite a few languishites to come out in favour of liberal democratic norms and state their opposition to the republican party, as it now stands, that they used to vote for.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

For the first time in my life I thought about buying a gun.  I won't do it of course, I'm not the sort of person who should have a gun, but I still thought about it.  I feel like a few more shoes are going to drop, and I don't know what my political opinions will be until then.  On the plus side spending an entire year in abject terror has caused me to lose some weight.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on January 10, 2021, 01:12:05 PM

This is stuff I'd love to see more of in America (and if I had been American I would have been the same). Like, some Republicans say the right things (and may even have said them for a long time), but after everything that's happened they STILL think that the GOP is a better party than the Democrats. When you let that sink in it's just wow.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on January 10, 2021, 01:17:10 PM
For the first time in my life I thought about buying a gun.  I won't do it of course, I'm not the sort of person who should have a gun, but I still thought about it.  I feel like a few more shoes are going to drop, and I don't know what my political opinions will be until then.  On the plus side spending an entire year in abject terror has caused me to lose some weight.

Oh yeah, I forgot.  I went full in on BLM.  After this summer, fuck the police.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

It made me more politically radical than before. But I think the whole 2016 election did that. I am much more open to big interventions to ease the problems common Americans are experiencing now, they are pissed off and I don't know how much longer the center will hold without something.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 10, 2021, 01:19:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 10, 2021, 01:17:10 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot.  I went full in on BLM.  After this summer, fuck the police.

Yeah the cops need to be reformed. That Chicago cop saying he just couldn't believe Biden won 81 million votes so it must be rigged...in the middle of a city that vote 75% for Biden. How out of touch with your own community and drinking the Kool-aid can you be?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

The Bush Presidency did that to me, but I still would vote in the Republican Primary if I thought that Primary was more important (while still not voting for them in the general).

Not anymore.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on January 10, 2021, 01:12:05 PM

This.  I would not have voted for Bob Menendez if Trump had not made Dem numbers in the Senate an existential crisis.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

I stopped disdaining Russians for their surrender to authoritarianism.  I realized how glassy my own house is.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on January 10, 2021, 01:54:34 PM
I stopped disdaining Russians for their surrender to authoritarianism.  I realized how glassy my own house is.

Yeah? Interesting because you had a pretty informative opinion about this. Showing how the cynicism that decades of domestic political failure in Russia had created was the key to its authoritarian system. Once you convince everybody that everything is rigged and corrupt it is pretty easy to run an actual rigged and corrupt state. People just presume that is how everything is.