News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Ah, Republicans and money! :P
On Monday, Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell applauded Ford for giving an economic boost to Kentucky, saying it solidified his home state's position "as a world-class automotive state on the cutting edge of research and development." McConnell sounded a different theme two months earlier, when he took to the Senate floor to blast Democrats for wanting to "wage war on fossil fuels" and tried to turn their efforts to promote electric vehicles into a wedge issue.
Full text
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2021, 10:48:50 AM
I don't understand the more obedient part, that's new. I thougt the problem was that they are all criminals we should be afraid of.

He means "controlled by Jews".

Carson has been doing his "Just asking questions" routine for a while.  He put his toe in the water with "why is diversity good?  Nobody can answer that question", and now we are up to this.  Pretty soon he'll test the waters by "Why do we believe races are equal?".

The situation is bad...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Rudy Guiliani says he got election fraud evidence from social media

Rudy Giuliani admitted under oath that his "evidence" of voter fraud in the 2020 election came partly from social media and that he did not interview or fact-check his sources, reports say.

Donald Trump's former personal lawyer made the comments in a deposition on August 14 in relation to a defamation lawsuit brought by a former Dominion Voting Systems employee, Eric Coomer, first published by The Colorado Sun.

Coomer is suing the Trump campaign and others for promoting baseless conspiracy theories that he helped "rig" the election for Joe Biden.

In the deposition, Giuliani admitted that he got some of his information about Coomer's alleged role in the election fraud from his social media posts but couldn't be sure if it was Facebook or another platform.

"Those social media posts get all one to me," Giuliani said.

When questioned about whether he saw any other evidence linking Coomer with election fraud, he responded, "Right now, I can't recall anything else that I laid eyes on."

The conspiracy theories about Coomer were sparked by accusations made by right-wing podcast host Joe Oltmann.

Oltmann claimed to have infiltrated an Antifa conference call in which someone who identified themselves as "Eric from Dominion" boasted about preventing Trump from winning the election, The New York Times reported. Oltmann offered no proof of his claims.

The podcast host then found Eric Coomer's Facebook profile, on which he supposedly had written anti-Trump messages.

Giuliani and other Trump allies seized upon Oltmann's allegations, repeating them in a now-infamous November 19 press conference.

" One of the Smartmatic patent holders, Eric Coomer, I believe his name is, is on the web as being recorded in a conversation with ANTIFA members saying that he had the election rigged for Mr. Biden," Giuliani said.

But according to court papers filed by Coomer's lawyers, Giuliani spent "virtually no time" investigating the claims.

The filings said that Giuliani did not speak to Oltmann about the claims and did not reach out to Coomer or Dominion about them.

Giuliani said he was too busy when asked why he repeated Oltmann's accusations without verifying them.

"It's not my job in a fast-moving case to go out and investigate every piece of evidence that's given to me," Giuliani said in the deposition, reported by MSNBC.

"Why wouldn't I believe him? I would have to have been a terrible lawyer... gee, let's go find out it's untrue. I didn't have the time to do that."

After being named by Giuliani and lawyer Sidney Powell in the November press conference, Coomer briefly went into hiding.

Trump and his allies have continued to promote baseless conspiracy theories that the 2020 presidential election was rigged.

The Justice Department has said it found no evidence of widespread voter fraud in the election, and dozens of lawsuits challenging the results of the 2020 election have failed.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

America can be so weird, sometimes...

Citing liberty, Idaho Lt. Gov. McGeachin bans vaccine mandates in power grab

Gov. Brad Little will reverse all McGeachin's actions when he gets back to state.

Idaho Lt. Gov. Janice McGeachin grabbed the reins Tuesday by banning COVID-19 vaccination "passports" and mandatory COVID-19 testing in the state while Gov. Brad Little was away on travel. She also sought information on deploying the National Guard to the Texas border.

Gov. Little was, in fact, in Texas on Tuesday, meeting with nine other Republican governors regarding the Biden administration's handling of border issues.

"I am in Texas performing my duties as the duly elected Governor of Idaho, and I have not authorized the Lt. Governor to act on my behalf," Little said in a statement late Tuesday. "I will be rescinding and reversing any actions taken by the Lt. Governor when I return."

This isn't the first time Lt. Gov. McGeachin (also a Republican) has tried to seize power while the governor stepped away from the state. In May, she issued an executive order banning mask mandates while Little attended a conference in Nashville. Little rescinded the order the next day upon his return, saying local officials should have the power to make mask policy decisions.

That didn't stop McGeachin from trying to assert her authority again this Tuesday. "Today, as Acting Governor, I fixed Gov. Little's Executive Order on 'vaccine passports' to make sure that K-12 schools and universities cannot require vaccinations OR require mandatory testing," she declared in a tweet. "I will continue to fight for your individual Liberty!"

Reaching
Idaho is currently seeing one of the highest COVID-19 case rates in the country. Though the delta-fueled surge is beginning to subside in some Southern states, Idaho's case rate is still climbing. Hospitalizations and deaths are at record highs. The state's health department activated crisis standards of care statewide on September 16 as hospitals were buckling under the weight of COVID-19 cases.

James P. Souza, chief physician executive for Idaho's St. Luke's Health System, provided a grim report about the state of hospitals and patient care late last month. "For the people who say 'we all die sometime:' Yes we do," Souza said. "But these people didn't need to die now, and they didn't need to die like this."

Cases, hospitalizations, and deaths have only increased since then. Meanwhile, only 42 percent of the state is fully vaccinated.

Gov. Little is expected to return this evening and reverse McGeachin's bans soon after.

As for deploying the National Guard, Maj. Gen. Michael Garshak responded to McGeachin's information request, writing, according to the Associated Press: "I am unaware of any request for Idaho National Guard assistance under the Emergency Management Assistance Compact (EMAC) from Texas or Arizona... As you are aware, the Idaho National Guard is not a law enforcement agency."
Little took particular offense to the deployment inquiry by McGeachin, who is running for his position.

"Attempting to deploy our National Guard for political grandstanding is an affront to the Idaho constitution and insults the men and women who have dedicated their life to serving our state and the country," the governor said in his statement.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on October 07, 2021, 09:23:20 AM
I mean it is Idaho.

Its the governor fighting with the lt. governor over the votes of the other 6 people in the state.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

We have similar bullshit in Missouri.  The Lt governor takes over when the governor is indisposed.  Unfortunately that includes leaving the state.  If the governor and the Lt. governor are from different parties then the governor can't leave the state.  It's a very stupid arrangement.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Silly rule for an era with telephones.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 07, 2021, 01:15:06 PM
yeah.  the US President remains President when he is abroad.  I don't see why it would be different for a Governor.

jimmy olsen

If I could access the original Rolling Stone article I would post that, but it is paywalled.

EDIT: All of these representations should be expelled from congress and hanged.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/jan-6-protest-organizers-met-065512586.html

Jan. 6 protest organizers say they met with GOP representatives such as Paul Gosar, Madison Cawthorn, and Lauren Boebert ahead of Capitol insurrection: report
Matthew Loh

Mon, October 25, 2021, 3:55 PM·

Two Jan. 6 protest organizers told Rolling Stone that they met with more than "a dozen" GOP representatives.

They say they met with several members of Congress including Paul Gosar, Lauren Boebert, and Madison Cawthorn.

It's unclear what exactly they discussed when meeting the representatives, but three of those named have previously been credited for helping plan a Jan. 6 rally.

Two pro-Trump rally organizers who planned election protests across the US, including demonstrations in Washington DC on January 6, said they regularly met with GOP representatives or their top staff in the weeks leading up to the event of the Capitol attack.

In an exclusive interview published by Rolling Stone on Sunday, the organizers said they allegedly spoke to "a dozen" representatives or their teams, naming Rep. Paul Gosar and Rep. Andy Biggs of Arizona, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia, Rep. Lauren Boebert of Colorado, Rep. Madison Cawthorn of North Carolina, Rep. Louie Gohmert of Texas, and Rep. Mo Brooks of Alabama.

"We would talk to Boebert's team, Cawthorn's team, Gosar's team like back to back to back to back," said one of the organizers.

"I remember Marjorie Taylor Greene specifically," the same organizer also said. The names of both sources have been kept secret because they are cooperating with the House select committee's probe into the Capitol insurrection, per Rolling Stone.

They said they were willing to share information on the protests because they were upset that their demonstrations had turned into a siege on the US Capitol.

It's unclear what was discussed with each representative, but the organizers gave Rolling Stone an example with Gosar, saying he offered them the possibility of receiving a "blanket pardon" to motivate them to plan the rallies.

Three of these representatives - Biggs, Brooks, and Gosar - were previously credited by "Stop the Steal" movement organizer Ali Alexander for helping plan a rally on that day, which Brooks and Biggs denied.

In response to the anonymous organizers' claims, a spokesperson for Greene told Rolling Stone that the representative "had nothing to do with planning of any protest." Instead, Greene was preparing to dispute current President Joe Biden's election victory on the House floor, wrote the spokesperson in an email.

"She objected just like Democrats who have objected to Republican presidential victories over the years," he wrote, per Rolling Stone.

The offices of Greene, Gosar, Biggs, Brooks, Boebert, Cawthorn, and Gohmert did not immediately respond to Insider's requests for comment.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

The state constitution was written in 1949

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2021, 09:30:09 AM

The state constitution was written in 1949
I'm pretty sure the telephone was invented back in 1949. ;)

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 25, 2021, 05:45:27 AM
If I could access the original Rolling Stone article I would post that, but it is paywalled.

EDIT: All of these representations should be expelled from congress and hanged.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/jan-6-protest-organizers-met-065512586.html

Nothing will happen. GOP will take majorities in both houses in midterms because IMMIGRANTS FLOOD THE BORDER.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.