And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2021, 03:35:05 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 28, 2021, 03:02:28 PM
I don't know the answer to these questions, but the risks aren't zero! Better to keep yourself locked off from the rest of the world!

I disagree.

That said, I trust my relevant health authorities - and my elected officials - to assess those risks more than I trust you to do so.

I can travel to Denmark for tourism. The requirements may have been adjusted, but I think they just want a covid test before departure, an antibody test in the airport, and a vaccine card.

I take it you disagree with that policy?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on June 28, 2021, 03:44:12 PM

The traffic between Denmark and the US is very different than the traffic between Canada and the US :)

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2021, 03:45:48 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 28, 2021, 03:44:12 PM

The traffic between Denmark and the US is very different than the traffic between Canada and the US :)

Fascinating. So your thought process is that Canada should ban US travelers because they are Canada's most important trading partner and source of tourists, while Denmark should let them in because they are relatively unimportant?

I'm genuinely confused.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on June 28, 2021, 04:01:52 PM
I'm genuinely confused.

Look, if you don't like Berkut putting words in your mouth maybe you shouldn't do it to other people?

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2021, 04:13:50 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 28, 2021, 04:01:52 PM
I'm genuinely confused.

Look, if you don't like Berkut putting words in your mouth maybe you shouldn't do it to other people?

I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I was asking what the rationale was for thinking there should be a difference, and trying to make it clear that I don't think that there is a good one. Mostly to provoke you into responding.

Grey Fox

Can we also include Australia in the country comparison?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on June 28, 2021, 04:41:41 PM
I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I was asking what the rationale was for thinking there should be a difference, and trying to make it clear that I don't think that there is a good one. Mostly to provoke you into responding.

I believe I explained adequately.

In any case, I'm not really interested in trying to convince you nor do I want to substitute into your shit-fights with Berkut.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2021, 04:50:20 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 28, 2021, 04:41:41 PM

I believe I explained adequately.

You didn't. Increased volume just scales the cost/benefit ratio, it doesn't fundamentally alter it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 28, 2021, 04:55:21 PM
You didn't. Increased volume just scales the cost/benefit ratio, it doesn't fundamentally alter it.

Oh well.

EDIT: okay, maybe that's a bit dismissive, but I'm really not interested in trying to convince anyone here.

Basically it's not about cost/benefit, it's about overall risk - that is, absolute numbers. Increased volume increases the risk straight up. Letting, say, 25 people in tightly controlled circumstances is unlikely to be disastrous even if it goes wrong. Letting 250,000 people in means the circumstances are going to be much less tight, and if it goes wrong it's more likely to be disastrous. So yes, increased volume absolutely does alter the risk factor.

Secondly, the profile of people travelling from the US to Denmark is going to be different than the potentially travellers between the US and Canada, which again alters the risk profile.

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on June 28, 2021, 02:53:57 PM
During covid times, I'm certainly glad I lived in Georgia versus Canada. When I was in Utah I heard a few complaints about the influx of west coasters moving in because of the laxer policies--voting with their feet. I know several people that moved out of NYC as covid refugees as they had the option while working remotely: you know anyone that moved to the city due to its covid restrictions?
I don't think people left NYC during the pandemic due to Covid restrictions.  They left because they could do their job just as well from their vacation home, and I image most people prefer their vacation home to their apartment in the crowded city.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on June 28, 2021, 03:16:08 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 28, 2021, 03:15:05 PM
We can claim ignorance about what is going on, but places like Moab, UT and Red Rocks, NV were swarming with cars from California and Washington State in the winter wave when I was there...and people were open about coming because stuff was shutting down at home. I'm in the state that probably opened up faster than anywhere else and I've never heard of anyone living because of it.

Paging Dr. Freud.
:XD:

alfred russel

#1: I truly hate the world since covid.

#2: In March / April last year I alienated almost everyone by strenuously arguing on a very small handful of points.
-Outdoor restrictions were stupid and counterproductive.
-The "everyone stay in cities" thing was dumb.
-The actual infected fatality rate would be less than 1% rather than the 4% being tossed out at the time.
-The initial responses were unsustainable and were going to be counterproductive long term.

When Georgia was the first state to reopen, and did so in an extreme way, I was triumphant that I was being provided right that the initial response was unsustainable -- but no one agreed with me that a governor being stupid proved anything. Fast forward a number of months and no one stuck with their restrictions and we got a bunch of waves...I'm not sure where I was wrong. I offered a couple of bets to people making projections: like when Tim posted how many people would be dead by a certain date, I said it would definitely be lower; no one took me up and I would have won them.

What seems to be important is that I was wrong. Not because I was wrong but because I was an asshole. I've been referred to as an anti masker (never have been, I always wore a mask in public places indoors, and was cool with mask mandates), Trump synchophant (I staked out these positions when I was still under lockdown supported by Trumpnation), someone who said covid is no worse than the flu (never did that - it certainly is).

grumbler

Dorsey nailing himself to a cross is no more attractive than Dorsey engaging in ad hom arguments, red herrings, false dichotomies, and strawman arguments.  It used to be kind of funny, but now it's just pathetic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Hang in there, ar. I like that you challenge Languish.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

Douches gotta douche.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM