And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Jordan lost the third vote 112 to 86.

Jacob

Turns out doing things is harder than sabotaging other people doing stuff.

Grey Fox

Grifters only know how to grift.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Republicans have nominated Tom Emmer for speaker, but Trump is trying to sink him.  26 Republicans voted against him behind closed doors and it looks like enough will vote against him on the floor to finish him off.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Also interesting that the GOP House when voting for a candidate ended up picked what's probably the best (very much a relative term) option:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Dammit, this is stupid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

The FREEDOM!!!! caucus is in effect saying we will only accept one of our own as Speaker.

PDH

Nihilism kills the party
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2023, 05:36:20 PMThe FREEDOM!!!! caucus is in effect saying we will only accept one of our own as Speaker.

Boebert and Gaetz weren't on this list. I think this was a combination of him certifying the election and voting to federalize recognition of same sex marriages. It's just impossible to find someone who twenty members of the GOP don't hate. (Except for Kevin, where there's just 8)

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

FunkMonk

Difficult to see this getting resolved any time soon. We'll probably be far into a government shutdown before a few of the Rs decide "fuck it" and vote for a Dem speaker.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

I see the guy that they ended up electing scored pretty strongly in the asshole chart Sheilbh posted.

The Minsky Moment

On the plus side, he's for avoiding a complete financial collapse of the United States.   It's a low bar but all one can expect from today's GOP.  He's a safe pair of hands for when Gaetz pushes for the Americans Put Their Heads in A Running Woodchipper Act of 2024.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 25, 2023, 03:04:43 PMOn the plus side, he's for avoiding a complete financial collapse of the United States.   It's a low bar but all one can expect from today's GOP.  He's a safe pair of hands for when Gaetz pushes for the Americans Put Their Heads in A Running Woodchipper Act of 2024.

What worries me a lot is Ukraine though.  Without US aid Ukraine could collapse pretty quickly.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

I don't think there is any realistic scenario where Ukraine collpases, with or without US aid.  But it would result in a lot more dead Ukranian soldiers and civilians and the strengthening of the Russian strategic position. 

It would also be a crass betrayal of US national security interests.  Sending military aid to Ukraine is and has been, dollar-for-dollar the most effective and efficient use of US resources for military and strategic purposes that has existed in this century.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson